The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
where is the location of the a/c ports on elise so I can recharge . My ac is not very cold. thanks much
Remove the right rear wheel well liner and you will find them...

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just had my car serviced because the A/C wasn't working. They ended up have to bring a Lotus tech in to look at the issue. The ECU along with another part (i'll have to look it up) were both replaced and it is finally working again. Luckily it was a warranty issue so it didn't cost me anything.

Oh, and I'd also like to say that Ascot Motors here in Pittsburgh did a great job solving the problem. It's a small shop, but they have always done a great job with my Elise.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Remove the right rear wheel well liner and you will find them...
That is correct, but not necessary. Reach down through the open engine cover and unscrew the caps. Then you can snap on the service fittings of your equipment.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
one question.. Let's say wheel was off there is two ports.. Is it the left or right port to recharge ac? Reason I ask cause I am a very skinny guy and I can reach the port by hand from engine bay but can't see which port to put it into.

·
Super Moderator
2,845 Posts
one question.. Let's say wheel was off there is two ports.. Is it the left or right port to recharge ac? Reason I ask cause I am a very skinny guy and I can reach the port by hand from engine bay but can't see which port to put it into.
I can't tell you if it is the left or right, but the low pressure port (charge port) is a completely different size than the high pressure side, so there is no way you can attach your charging hose to the wrong port. It simply won't fit on the wrong port.

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
You need to use the low pressure port to recharge the AC system. IDK which side it is on in the Elise/Exige but it will be the smaller of the two ports. The recharge can coupler is (should be at least) smaller than the high side port to (hopefully) keep you from being able to attach the coupler to the high pressure side and blow up the can of refrigerant in your hand ;).

So, feel for the smaller port (NOT the small tubing).

EDIT: ARRGH. Sniped by tesprit again! First time was a clutch alignment tool off of fleabay and now this! :p.

·
Super Moderator
2,845 Posts
A quick question for you. If you are not attaching a gauge set to both fittings, how will you know the proper amount of refrigerant you need to add? You don't want to overfill the system and you have no idea how much refrigerant is needed without being able to monitor the pressures.

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
Many of the Wallyworld, etc. sold AC recharge kits have a gauge attached to the coupler for the low side port. Obviously this is not as good as a charging manifold with gauges but is often adequate (although you really won't get a "professional grade job" with it).

·
Super Moderator
2,845 Posts
Many of the Wallyworld, etc. sold AC recharge kits have a gauge attached to the coupler for the low side port. Obviously this is not as good as a charging manifold with gauges but is often adequate (although you really won't get a "professional grade job" with it).
Ahh, I see. Here in WI it is illegal to purchase R134a by the small cans so there are no simple fill hoses available at stores and the only thing available are the full gauge manifolds to be used with the large tanks. I didn't know you could buy a just fill hose with a built in gauge. :bow:

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
Honestly, you really should be monitoring both the low side and high side when recharging but those small cans with the gauges will only monitor the low side.

They also don't allow you to purge the air/moisture out of the system, figure out how much oil you need to add (although most are refrig/oil mixes). etc. I read the instruction on one in Walmart. It basically said all you need to do is "attach this here coupler to that thar nipple and squeeze the trigger and you're all good." There are a lot of problems with those "DIY recharge kits."

·
Super Moderator
2,845 Posts
It basically said all you need to do is "attach this here coupler to that thar nipple and squeeze the trigger and you're all good."
Yikes:panic: I think I will just keep using my manifold gauge set, thank you. A/C systems are just way too expensive to screw up over trying to get a cheap refrigerant fill. I can't even imagine trying to properly service a system with one of these "kits"--maybe on an old beater, but not a Lotus!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I had only planned on filling it up just a bit not the entire can basically a boost.. I did it on my g35 just half a can made a world of difference.. Thanks for the info about the ac system and how it works I always learn alot from this website

·
Registered
433 Posts
Ahh, I see. Here in WI it is illegal to purchase R134a by the small cans so there are no simple fill hoses available at stores and the only thing available are the full gauge manifolds to be used with the large tanks. I didn't know you could buy a just fill hose with a built in gauge. :bow:
They have the right idea in Wisconsin. By outlawing small cans they cut down on loss from leakage and require a larger investment in refrigerant and material. Hopefully people making that investment will be more knowledgable about what they are doing (less likely to blow up the system or themselves).-poke-

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.