The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my a/c has been feeling weak lately. Then last week, the cold air stopped altogether, but the fan is still blowing.

I took the Evora in to a local shop for repairs, the shop topped up the refrigerant, and the a/c was working again. As I started the car, I noticed the wrench light came on. Thinking that it might go away in a few minutes, I drove away and then the traction control light came. The TC button couldn’t clear the error, and the Sport button no longer worked. I could tell the throttle response was slow so it definitely kicked me out of Sport mode. Later that day, I noticed now that the Cruise control wouldn’t activate either.

Any idea why a a/c repair would cause these kinds of issues on the t/c, Sport mode, or cruise control?

I have an appt on Monday to bring it back into the shop for investigation/repair. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
I think some faults with the wrench will force limp mode. Not sure if the A/C compressor errors are capable of this, but I think so?

·
Registered
62 Posts
+1 on the brake switch. Cheap and easy to replace. Your limp mode might clear itself after 3 on/off cycles if it was just a one time thing

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brake switch could be a possibility. The shop also replaced my brake and clutch fluid at the same time. If the t/c is inoperative, could the software have disabled the sport mode and cruise as well?

I have driven the car for several hours and turned it on/off, but the problem still persists.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's the latest. On my way to the shop, the Evora went into limp mode. It sat at idle and wouldn't rev at all. I slipped the clutch and crawled the 500 ft home. So, I had it towed to the shop. What's weird is that now all the wrench and t/c lights are out. The shop put on the OBDII and there are no codes at all. The brake switch is apparently in working order. So, they're continuing to diagnose.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Here's the latest. On my way to the shop, the Evora went into limp mode. It sat at idle and wouldn't rev at all. I slipped the clutch and crawled the 500 ft home. So, I had it towed to the shop. What's weird is that now all the wrench and t/c lights are out. The shop put on the OBDII and there are no codes at all. The brake switch is apparently in working order. So, they're continuing to diagnose.
Just a thought: check the MAF and TPS connectors, clean (I use DeOxit 5) exercise a few times then tie wrap.
Worked for me with same signs you report, and same lack of codes when dealer checked, who, agreed with my fix, and noted a common occurence.......

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm back in business!

You guys are great. It was the brake switch after all. The shop replaced it and all is good. Traction control and cruise is back. As far as the limp mode, or rather lack of throttle response, they crimped the female end of the connector to get a tighter fit on the pins. I hope it does the trick.

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
After disassembling my OE brake switch, I would say they likely don't fail outright, but like most mechanical contact type switches, the surfaces get coated in carbon or other gunk as a result of the repeated actuations and the passage of current through those contacts. After a thorough cleaning, and adjusting the plunger to its previous location, it was brought back to life and is functioning fine.

Taking it apart isn't too difficult, but it may not be worth the time/effort when replacement switches are so inexpensive. I have one of the GM/SAAB switches on-hand, but they're actually built slightly different (internally) from the OE ones.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts