The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear all,

My Elise S is the 2008 model, Toyota engine. I bought it 2 months ago and there is a/c problem. The problem is, when the a/c is switched on, sometimes just the normal fan is on, and after a while (about several minutes), cool air starts blowing out, but after another several minutes, cool air stops and just fan on.

Please help. Thanks.
Mafei

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
Sounds like the common evaporator freeze problem, however:
1) Usually only happened after 20 minutes (you mention several minutes) or more of driving, and quite often at higher speeds, coupled with high temperatures and high humidity.
2) From build date February 2007 an improved thermostat was installed to alleviate the freezing.

·
Registered
90 Posts
warranty my friend . no worries

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like the common evaporator freeze problem, however:
1) Usually only happened after 20 minutes (you mention several minutes) or more of driving, and quite often at higher speeds, coupled with high temperatures and high humidity.
2) From build date February 2007 an improved thermostat was installed to alleviate the freezing.
yes.. sometimes from several minutes up to several ten-minutes...
and I am in Macau, it is hot and humid here...

Is there a way to overcome such problem?

Thanks.
Mafei

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
warranty my friend . no worries
The problem is, I bought that car from Hong Kong, then shipped it to Macau, as there is no authorized dealer in Macau.

I will phone the dealer in Hong Kong tomorrow about this issue.

Regards,
Mafei

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
There is a technical doc from Lotus on repositioning the temp sensor on the front condenser is you are willing to try it yourself. Also look at the mod from Tony Wa about installing the heater core bypass.

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
I would have thought your car would have had the new thermostat, as it was installed at the factory from February 2007.
yes.. sometimes from several minutes up to several ten-minutes...
and I am in Macau, it is hot and humid here...

Is there a way to overcome such problem?

Thanks.
Mafei

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
There is a technical doc from Lotus on repositioning the temp sensor on the front condenser is you are willing to try it yourself. Also look at the mod from Tony Wa about installing the heater core bypass.
As already posted, only the early cars should need the repositioning of the temp sensor - it was a running change for all other cars after the middle of the '05s.

The actual AC system works pretty good, it just doesn't flow enough air to spread that coolness. Especially in a humid climate where there is even more moisture to freeze up on the coils.

One possible cure for the freezing up AC is to simply turn it down. Don't turn it on full blast. Cool air blowing out continuously is better than cold air for a few minutes and then freezing it up and getting nothing.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
The turning down thing never worked on mine. Maybe it delayed the freezing up... but I could not tell.

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
It is preferable to replace the capillary tube thermostat with a later electronic version.
I now have substantially more air flowing out of my system than before, it now rivals my Mazda
As already posted, only the early cars should need the repositioning of the temp sensor - it was a running change for all other cars after the middle of the '05s.

The actual AC system works pretty good, it just doesn't flow enough air to spread that coolness. Especially in a humid climate where there is even more moisture to freeze up on the coils.

One possible cure for the freezing up AC is to simply turn it down. Don't turn it on full blast. Cool air blowing out continuously is better than cold air for a few minutes and then freezing it up and getting nothing.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
[
It is preferable to replace the capillary tube thermostat with a later electronic version.
I now have substantially more air flowing out of my system than before, it now rivals my Mazda
I didn't know they made that change. :up:

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
I believe it can be installed yourself.
"Electronic Thermostat Retrofit Kit A120P0149S" available from your friendly Lotus dealer.
Note that is purpose is only to prevent freeze up by more accurate and a quicker response. This was only one part of my A/C improvement mods. I do have the installation instructions.
Is this a part that we can order and install ourselves?

Part Number and source??

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I believe it can be installed yourself.
"Electronic Thermostat Retrofit Kit A120P0149S" available from your friendly Lotus dealer.
What's the approximate cost of this kit at your friendly Lotus dealer?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Question...

Are you suggesting that the increased air flow is a direct result of the installation of the newer electronic thermostat itself? Or is the air flow increase related to your other AC mods? :shrug:

Thanks.

Jim B.

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
The thermostat was only to stop the coil freezing. The increased air flow was a result of closing up the outside air intakes and opening up the drivers side recirc. intake. My other mods insulated the cockpit from outside heat sources.
Michael
Are you suggesting that the increased air flow is a direct result of the installation of the newer electronic thermostat itself? Or is the air flow increase related to your other AC mods? :shrug:

Thanks.

Jim B.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts