The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Can anyone recommend a car cover for a Evora 400?

I read the previous posts on the forum and the best answer seems to be the cover that is sold by Lotus.

Agreement??? Any other suggestions???

The car is based in the USA but I don't mind paying overseas shipping if I am getting a quality cover.

Thank you
Mark

·
Registered
362 Posts
I bought the above and it is a perfect snug fit but did have to wait near two months if I recall to receive it. Note that an indoor cover should breathe. Don’t but an outdoor cover for long term use inside.

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,598 Posts
Why? I find them to be a waste of money. Unless the car is perfectly clean, you're likely to cause more damage than protection. There are far better things to spend your money on IMHO.

San

·
Premium Member
2,336 Posts
I went with California Car Cover's Superweave cover. Although its not a form fitting cover, its a breathable/dust proof cover that doubles as an outdoor lightweight cover. Partly due to its lightweight material, its also machine washer and dryer safe, which means I can keep it cleaner and therefore keep more contaminants off my paint.

They will also make a cover for any vehicle, even if its not in their database (you submit dimensions off a template). I've had them make about 10 custom covers over the years (you can see one on the Vespa 400/Harley powered car on the left below).

The current one on my Lotus- I had them add an extra skirt length to it so that it fit with my wing and have it come down lower than their stock one. It adds a nice layer of protection when parked in the garage.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Why? I find them to be a waste of money. Unless the car is perfectly clean, you're likely to cause more damage than protection. There are far better things to spend your money on IMHO.

San
This is for long term winter storage on a clean car. Not frequent use.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the responses.

Dogtag —- Is your cover easy take on/off?

Would you recommend a cover on a car that will be taken on/off on a weekly basis?

The car will go into storage in the Winter for a couple of months - so I will use a cover during that time period.

·
Premium Member
611 Posts
I'm using the cover I bought for MY12. I fits fine, easy to put on and take off. I got it from my Lotus dealer in 2013.

·
Loves to talk
1,059 Posts
This is for long term winter storage on a clean car. Not frequent use.
One of the few things I got as a concession when I bought mine was a black Covercraft indoor cover for my car. I've only used it twice, both times over a freshly washed car while I was away for an extended period of time. It doesn't see action day to day. If I had to spend my own money (I probably wouldn't but in theory it was a gimme) I'd probably buy it from the Lotus Forum just because and theirs get excellent reviews. However, the Covercraft they gave me is good quality and is very far from low rent. I would have chosen a different color (Lotus green of course!) but beggars can't be choosers. Anyway, if it's a cover you need and you don't want to get it from the UK, the one I linked to is nicely done. I think it's something that you might be able to shop for regarding price. I've seen different prices advertised for what I think is the same cover and if nothing else, Everyday Driver usually offers coupons for them.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Thank you for the responses.

Dogtag —- Is your cover easy take on/off?

Would you recommend a cover on a car that will be taken on/off on a weekly basis?

The car will go into storage in the Winter for a couple of months - so I will use a cover during that time period.
Very Easy. Believe it or not, their directions on how to take it on and off and fold make it much easier and keeps the dusty side on the outside.
Don't cover dirty cars. Weekly is not needed in anyway.

In for a penny, in for a pound... I wasn't looking to save $100 by compromising on a close enough cover. The Lotus Forum cover got high praise.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Hi,

I read the previous posts on the forum and the best answer seems to be the cover that is sold by Lotus.

The car is based in the USA but I don't mind paying overseas shipping if I am getting a quality cover.

Thank you
Mark
I've been using a cover for a Honda civic given to me many years when I bought in '05 our first Lotus, an Elise. Works fine on the Evoras.

·
Hickory, NC
977 Posts
Coverking for me.
This is the only pic I have during construction of garagemahal
Cover is flannel indoor only and fits like yoga pants!
Even works after I added the wing

·
Hickory, NC
977 Posts
More garagemahal pics please

·
Illegal Alien
5,000 Posts
Hi,

Thank you
Mark
the quality is worth it and shipping costs are not high.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have the Covercraft Car Cover (for like $400) and I am disappointed with it....the issue is I have it for dust. I garage the car, and would like to keep it clean. It doesn't keep dust out. I ended up getting a 40 dollar water proof (not fitted) cover which keeps the dust out much better. The fitted covers stretch which means the fabric isn't dust proof (if it didn't let dust through, I don't think it would stretch well)

·
Registered
605 Posts
I have a TouchLess car cover that does not touch the duco, is drive in drive out with side zips for easy access. It was brilliant on my black Evora. I sold the car a while ago but still have the cover. Perfect solution, giveaway price $200 (540 new) plus freight from Western Australia.

Attachments

·
Registered
605 Posts
Here are some more photos of the Touchless Carcover. The great thing about it is that it won’t scratch the paintwork. I had a simple stringline from the roof of my garage. Pull the cord and lock it then unzip the drivers side and drive out. On return drive into the cover, zip up the side and release the pullcord. Very simple and quick and with my black paint I didn’t want to have to wash it every few days and also didn’t want any swirls. Worked perfectly.

Attachments

·
Registered
878 Posts
I've been using a cover for a Honda civic given to me many years when I bought in '05 our first Lotus, an Elise. Works fine on the Evoras.
As you can see, the Honda Civic car cover more than does the job. Not as fancy looking as custom covers. That is a snowblower behind the 400. Very bright outside from the snow.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
I got the Covercraft Form-Fit Indoor cover. I really like it. Haven't had any issues with dust on mine. Excellent fitment, super soft inside. Got it for around $350.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts