The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
7,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey...is it safe to run the elise through a touchless car wash?
i sometimes take my other cars to bp amoco cause they have a touchless wash and undercarriage sprayer.
do u think this would hurt starshield or stripes?

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
_JD_ said:
I would'nt do it- it might peel back the starshield
It won't peel back the starshield, that stuff is on pretty tight. The bigger concern would be all the plastic black plastic pieces or water entering the car.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
I'd urge caution...for one thing the touchless washes tend to use harsher chemicals than the touch washes. This might be extra hard on a soft top and remove some of the chemical protection soaked into it. I think the films would stay on fine though. In the owner's manual, only hand car washing is advised, to avoid damage.

Stan

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
I'm not saying you don't! But if you don't long to caress your Liz every time you wash her by hand then you don't deserve her! PERIOD!!!!!!!
Don't ever do it!!:no:

·
Registered
7,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ha, im not from the south like some ppl here are....i cant stand out there and wash my car by hand in the dead of winter....
if its touchless, whats the big deal? sure it shoots pressurized water, so i guess the question is whether the starshield will hold up....as far as the top, stan, i have acquired a hard top.
i knew i would take flak for this question...:)

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
evomind said:
ha, im not from the south like some ppl here are....i cant stand out there and wash my car by hand in the dead of winter....
if its touchless, whats the big deal? sure it shoots pressurized water, so i guess the question is whether the starshield will hold up....as far as the top, stan, i have acquired a hard top.
i knew i would take flak for this question...:)
Im from Louisville, its currently 36 degrees and raining. We have snow here, up to 2 feet. I STILL hand wash my cars. In the dead of winter, if its sun is shining enough that the hose warms up a little...I'll wash the car.

:D

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
I'm in the Chicago suburbs and I've hand washed my Elise every weekend since I took delivery :D

Your hands will only stay blue for a few minutes... and the almost-freezing water coming out of the hose actually starts to feel warm after a while :p

·
Registered
543 Posts
evomind
our 'jurzey' winters are cold too! if you have a garage, have water lines put in. and do what i did - add a hot water line too!! makes it easier on the fingers not freezing up. but just don't make it too hot to melt anything!!
both our daily drivers are black, and they always get hand washed. our elise that should arrive next month will be SB!
t. a.

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
One of the most beautiful features of my house is the hot water hose tap in the garage. I hand wash year round without getting cold!

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Wash it inside your garage if it's too cold, then pull it out of the garage to rinse it and then bring her back to the garage to finish the wash.

The manual states NO AUTOMATED CAR WASH.

Edit: Andy beat me to it, but if you don't have a hot water tap, then just use buckets.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Go ahead and run it through. It will be fine. If you can't find a touchless, just go to one that has some good strong bristles to get all that dirt off.

·
Registered
7,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yeah, im not as ritualistic about the fashion in which i wash a car...
im not going to install hot water plumbing to my garage or anything like that....
i guess i just enjoy driving it more than washing it.
i am glad to see "y'all" have that kind of time...
:)

1 - 20 of 58 Posts