The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started getting this loud cracking sound when going over bumps. It appears to be coming from the inside from behind my head. It sounds if something is breaking. I just cant figure out whats going on. Anyone experience this?

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
I've had several extremely loud noises at times just behind my head. Thought the rear window broke once. Have been given answers ranging from seat belt tensioner (sounds like coins falling on the floor) to TADTS. Just had an explosion sound last week that turned out to be the driver's seat rail not being locked and the seat slipping 1/2 notch. Sounded like I had ripped the entire chassis out going over a bump. Stopped on the side of the road, couldn't see any obvious damage and no change in the driving, no MIL, etc. Got home, tore the car apart looking for something that had exploded and found nothing. Frightening occasionally.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
I started getting this loud cracking sound when going over bumps. It appears to be coming from the inside from behind my head. It sounds if something is breaking. I just cant figure out whats going on. Anyone experience this?
Have you checked the hardtop's rear brackets?

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you checked the hardtop's rear brackets?
I will remove the hard top and put it back on later tonight and see if that fixes the problem.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
I will remove the hard top and put it back on later tonight and see if that fixes the problem.
Make sure that the "cup" of the bracket (reverse J-shaped piece in the attachment) fits over the "tongue" of the latch plate (which is attached to the car). There's a piece of felt-like material over the cup that prevents metal to metal contact... make sure it's in place. Hope this helps...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Get someone to gently press down on the hardtop as you reseat it. Don't over tighten the bolts. Just nice and snug.

Tom

1 - 6 of 6 Posts