The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a post on Ferrari Chat from someone who said he uses a black permanent magic marker to mask stone chips on his car. I thought this was a creative idea and thought about the possibility of using a fine tipped red maker to change the white stitching on my Elise seats to red. Granted, it would take the time, but I think the results would make it worth it. My seats are black, so I don't think small mistakes would be noticeable. What do you think? Good idea; dumb idea?
Chris

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
I don't think the red would show on the black seat, that's an interesting idea. Also sharpie ink doesn't dry instantly, so you could also use a paper towel to wipe the leather as you painted your stitching. As mentioned, sharpie ink doesn't dry instantly, so you probably also want to let it sit for an hour or so to keep it from getting on your clothes.

·
Registered
539 Posts
:huh:

I use mud and road tar to hide small imperfections in my bodywork on my rat rod!
Do you think it would work for your application aswell?:wave:

Oh p.s. don't wear white on a hot day! you'll end up looking like a baseball from behind.......

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've seen 360s with black leather and red stitching and it looks awesome, IMHO.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53576&highlight=orange+stitching

You wouldn't be the guinea pig. I'd look for a permanent red that had some flourescence or some brightening agent in it. Regular red marker would probably be too flat to show up vibrantly.

In the link, I think his orange stitching dye job looks pretty good.

Might want to test whatever marker you find in an inconspicuous area first.

Tom

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
People do this with watch straps. A laundry marker is more permanent than a Sharpie (the Sharpie needs to be touched up from time to time.)

ed

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
:huh:

Oh p.s. don't wear white on a hot day! you'll end up looking like a baseball from behind.......
thats what i thought so too...LOL

the interior of the car is where you spend the most time so dont halfa$$ it

if you really want to get red stitching i can help you out

1 - 10 of 10 Posts