The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Key word "A"...not "the". There are a few alternatives, this is just what I came up with at no cost to me since I had everything laying around the house.

I was just toying with the Sector111 Darth Cupholder to see if I could retrofit it anywhere in the Evora cockpit..turns out you can! I had imagined that the notch/bend in the metal would be an option for clamping to the seat adjustment bar..but had no idea that it would happen to work perfectly!

Parts:

Darth Cupholder (modified)
Aluminum plate (can't remember the gauge sorry)
2x bolts
2x wingnuts
1 mil rubber sheet
Epoxy
Spray on truck bedliner in a can

Sorry, but no how-to step by step, and I'm kicking myself for it now, but I think most can figure it out by the pictures. I cut some plate to shape, filed it down to ensure there are no sharp edges or corners, test fit in the car, drilled holes on it and matching holes in the Darth cupholder.

Then, in order to prevent slippage, damage to factory parts, and noise and vibration, I epoxied some rubber sheet in the three places: in the V notch where the bar will go, on the bottom of the plate where it will grip the bar, and on the backside where it rests against the seat base.

Tape off, spray with rubberized bedliner for durability/looks, and voila!

Now the party trick, and what happened to work out so perfectly...the picture is rough, but you can see how the angled portion of the darth cupholder sits perfectly against the base of the seat frame underneath, preventing much movement and ensuring a stable mount once clamped down.

All clearances are good-no contact with the leather and works great. I ended up using slightly longer bolts just to make it easier to get the wingnuts started, but you could really use any size/shape/length.

Holds cups/mugs well. It doesn't move, makes no noise, doesn't interfere with entering and exiting the car at all when empty, and is relatively low profile. A bonus is that you don't see the bolts really unless you are trying to look down onto it.

It isn't really high off of the floor, so even with the spring (I only use one, I found two was too tight) the cup/mug *could* rock a bit under load, but it will not tip over.

My personal preference is positioning it where it is now, but you could put it anywhere on the bar, on either passenger or driver side.

It DOES stop the seat adjustment bar from working, but since it is on my passenger side and we don't really have people in the back, no impact. And it only takes 15 seconds to take on or off and stow.

All in all very little cost, simple, cosmetically acceptable, and only about 30 minutes of work to modify. Paint drying time not included. Another option for you guys out there.

And I have to give 2011 Chrome Orange some credit for getting my mind thinking down this path-this one is sort of an evolution/change from his idea.

OC guys-I have another darth cupholder and the materials if any of you are interested.

·
Premium Member
2,336 Posts
It DOES stop the seat adjustment bar from working, but since it is on my passenger side and we don't really have people in the back, no impact. And it only takes 15 seconds to take on or off and stow.

And I have to give 2011 Chrome Orange some credit for getting my mind thinking down this path-this one is sort of an evolution/change from his idea.
Your cup holder is even better because you had the parts and it didn't cost you anything!:bow:

I actually came up with my cup holder idea when I was trying to figure out a way to mount my fire extinguisher without hacking up the interior. I wanted to mount it so it can be removed with no sign of it ever being there. I mounted it the same way as my cup holder...two SS split shaft collars but for the fire extinguisher, I welded them to a stainless bracket I made. You can partially see it in one of the photos I posted earlier
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f170/just-got-evora-117493/

The only difference is that the fire extinguisher mount is even more secure since it is welded to the shaft collars. I didn't want it flying around like a missle in case of an accident!!:panic:

Oh, and since they both (cup holder and fire extinguisher mounts) clamp around the bar, I can still easily adjust my seat by lifting the seat bar as usual.

I do like your holder with the spring for tension. I'll be stealing that idea and modifying mine shortly!! :D

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you bastid...you did it cheaper than me!

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,598 Posts
My cup holder solution. View attachment 188427

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
The only time I've ever needed a cup holder (a minute or two at best) I've done the same thing, as I usually have my driving shoes in the passenger footwell. Cupholder and sports car are opposites IMHO.

San

·
Premium Member
6,778 Posts
Can also double as a urinal for long trip situations, Very efficient. Finish drink, let body drain, refill cup!

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
In that cas I recommend a rubber boot.

·
Illegal Alien
5,000 Posts
Never given cup holders much consideration in a sports car (no space .. Too rough), but the Evora is so comfortable for a long drive that i may change my position. Today I made the 300 mile trek back to the dealers and packed in a bottle of water (fits in door hand hold) and a Starbucks ... No place to put except in my stomach. The under seat mount looks good, another place could be to fit something low on the door near the speakers, the wide dor sill keeps it out of bumping range.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
probably the best solution, if you don't mind permanently altering your car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My Cupholder Solution

Hello Everybody,
I just picked up my 2012 Lotus Evora from Euro Motorcars, Bethesda, MD, a few days ago - so new owner, new member. First of all - I LOVE THIS CAR!! But more about that in a separate thread. The standard Evora cupholders are probably fine for cans and small cups - not so much for my Super Big Gulps or my girlfriend's Bubba Keg commuter cup. So I decided to fabricate my own. They had to be cheap, easy and not interfere with moving the seats. Here's what I did:

(Note: A big thank you to the member(s) who first thought of mounting them on the seat adjustment bar.)

Step 1: Get some large plastic hanging cupholders. I got mine in the auto accessories aisle at Walmart - Bell 44 Fl Oz Cap Capacity Drink Holders. A 4-pack was $1.97. Note: These have springy "fingers" inside to also accommodate smaller drink sizes.

Step 2: Use wire cutters or snips to cut off the hanger flush with the top of the cup holder portion. Smooth cut sites with razor knife as necessary.

Step 3: Using a strong adhesive (I used JB Kwik) reattach the hanger to the side of the cup holder portion 1 inch below the rim. In addition to the mating surfaces, be sure to put extra globs at the top and wrap the side seams.

Step 4: Drill 2 holes in both the horizontal and vertical portions of the hanger 1/2 inch from the 90 degree bend and approximately 1/4 inch from the edge. I used a 9/64 inch bit.

Step 5: Insert cable ties (I had 8" black ones lying around) through the top hole. Hook the hanger over the seat adjustment bar. Thread the cable ties around the bar and out the rear hole, connecting at the top. Note: Don't fully tighten ties until both are through the holes and connected. Pull ties tight and snug with pliers if necessarry. Snip off excess.

I like these because they can be repositioned by sliding along the bar. They rest on the floor and just lift up when you adjust the seat. So far I have only tested it with a large McDonald's soda, but it worked great.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I would worry about the op's in an accident. I guess the passenger mass would stay affixed to the seat, as is the cup holder, but I would have some feelings about a 1/4" thick piece of aluminum at my ankles.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I've used this for a couple years in the Exige, works great.
Mazda Miata/MX-5 Large Cup/Drink Holder
Base slides under the floor mat along to keep it in place. Track days, just lift the edge of the carpet and it slides out until I'm ready to go home!

·
Registered
144 Posts
I've used this for a couple years in the Exige, works great.
Mazda Miata/MX-5 Large Cup/Drink Holder
Base slides under the floor mat along to keep it in place. Track days, just lift the edge of the carpet and it slides out until I'm ready to go home!
I ordered these, but they came in broken with the two pieces unglued. I ordered two more, and they were broken also. I modified with small bolts and lock nuts because I liked the design, and now they're perfect.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts