The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else experiencing this?

I don't drive all the time. In fact, I often don't drive for a number of days. But with the Elise, I feel I have to drive it at least each day. If I have not driven it yet during the day.... as evening approaches, it's like a siren calling me from the garage. Take me. Drive me.

Is it weird to just drive and really have nowhere to go?

I have even developed some patterns of my driving/wandering. Certain streets and such. But if feels odd. Why did I just drive here and then turn around and drive back? lol

Is it just me?

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
I used to do that all the time with other cars, but I love to drive.

If I didn't drive enougth I will take whatever car I owned at that time for a spin just to drive and yes I did develop paterns on places to drive and turn back.

Work doesn't allow me to do that anymore but I have the impresion I'll start doing it again when I get my Liz.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
My drive home is double the distance if I go shortest route, I ALWAYS take the long way home and just tootle around.
Chris

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
I feel the urge, too. Also, there are no longer any quick errands for me...even if the store is only a half mile away, I find that somehow the trip ends up lasting many times that distance as I take the long way home.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Luckily we are in the country. A trip for a gallon of milk is 15 minutes each way.

We need milk/bread/butter/chips a lot more these days...my wife recognizes what I'm up to and just smiles...

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yup, you're not alone. Isn't the love of driving one of the reasons we buy these cars? I often go out and drive just to drive.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Ditto Ditto!!!

My urge is to get up early, hop in Elise and drive in the quiet and cool of the morning to meet the rising sun...very relaxing and have a great feeling sitting in the Elise...

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Surferjer said:
Luckily we are in the country. A trip for a gallon of milk is 15 minutes each way.

We need milk/bread/butter/chips a lot more these days...my wife recognizes what I'm up to and just smiles...

hey, jer, where do you live? i have visited a friend in eagle quite often and have spent a fair amount of time in that area. familiar with eagle farms by any chance?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Randy Chase said:
\

Is it just me?
Randy, what you're experiencing is called a Zen like experience. People that are new to motorcycles, airplanes or sports cars usually experience this. This happens to experienced drivers (like yourself) when something special is purchased.

Makes me want my Elise even sooner now. I need a fix and I'm not even hooked yet!

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Lotuslust-I live 6 moles west of West Chester. Eagle, if I'm correct, is due north of the turnpike on Pottstown Pike, right? That's about 15 minutes from my work, 30 from home.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
eagle is on 100...i think that does go up to pottstown. it is just noth of the turnpike. there is a turnpike exit right there. have eaten at the eagle tavern a few times. not world class but not at all bad

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Every now and then at work I take a walk or two around the building as a way to relax and decompress, the other day I jumped in the Elise and went for a quick blast. It worked pretty well!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Not only I have th urge to drive everyday, I am rediscovering the roads: corners I used to do 20mph now is double that. I need to control myself cause that's how motorcyclists get into accidents. BTW, This is similar to the feeling I got when I got a new Hi Fi. You feel like you are hearing the songs for the first time again.

I get up at 5:00am and take the car for a spin. I have a 15 min, 25min and 40 minutes routes.

Unfortunately , this routine has kind of replaced my 45min bike ride ( exercise) I used to do.

·
Registered
803 Posts
me too, Randy, me too (leaving tomorrow!)

Randy,

I suffer the same feelings. Worse, I am not working on the car, preferring to drive it. If I do not have an excuse, I make one up. I really cannot stay away for a full day. Maybe I should get a job so I can commute?

So, as many of you know, I drove my car home from the dealer, 650 miles up the Pacific Coast from Los Angeles to San Francisco. Tomorrow I am going to continue the trip. I plan on catching Highway 101 at the Golden Gate Bridge and following it to the end in Washington State and will be gone at least a week.

I wonder if I will be satisfied upon my return or will I still look for an excuse to take it out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts