The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am posting this because I am in shock. My little brother who is still in high school got a new car today. In my family, this should be no shock because my older brother and myself both got a reasonably priced car as a graduation presant before we actually graduated.

I WAS shocked, however, to see my brothers new car was a brand new RX-8.

I think my obsession and constant babbling about cool cars is psychologically messing with the people I am around the most. I am a car freak and everyone in my family knows it. It must be rubbing off or something because... As of right now, my mother is driving a 350z. My brother is driving an RX-8. I will be driving the Elise as soon as it arrives, and my older brother is trading in his Sequioia (spelling) for a to-be-determined sports car. My father has decided that he will not be re-leasing his Yukon this year... and is eyeing the FordGT (fingers crossed) and the caddy SLR convertible (i think thats the model). I wouldnt be surprised if my grandmother who lives with my parents, trades in her buick for a crossfire.

Sounds cool and all... but how is anyone going to haul anything around? My family has a boat that actually NEEDS a large SUV to tow it. They do not have a lake house or anywhere to store it, so it must be pulled to the lake every trip. Speaking of trips, how are we going to take family trips anymore? Are we too old for that now? Both my brothers and I will be in college next year. None of us are married. So... that doesnt make sense.

Is this getting out of hand?

-Whit

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
The sports car obsession isn't getting out of hand, no. Better you're all driving sports cars than boat-like, lane-clogging, road-hogging SUVs. And I would pressume that the more a family is sports-car oriented, the more respect all of you will have for proper driving technique, road manners, safety, etc.

But giving away cars as graduation gifts is another story, in my most biased and personal opinion. I guess the price of a graduation gift is all relative depending on a family's income, but I don't think high school graduation is anything that deserves a reward. We all have jobs in life, and a child's job from age 6 to 18 is to go to school. His payment is a rich social life, lots of free passes on life mistakes, and hopefully enough traditional education to prepare himself for the adult world.

Sorry, dude, I know this doesn't have anything to do with the sports car question! But as someone who had to climb up the career ladder for 20 years before being able to afford fancy sports cars, your situation seems more surrealistic than shocking to me.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I cant say that I disagree with you Jon. You were pretty much right in all respects. I dont want to give the wrong impression though. I am currently hording money for my Elise. I do plan on buying it - however for insurance purposes it will probably not be in my name. I will be 22 when it arrives. Currently I just quit my high school job of graphic design to work at a lanscape architecture firm. I am a 4th year student in LAR at the University of Georgia. (2nd year uga, 4th year total actually). My older brother is currently in his second year of med school at MCG training to be a surgeon. So I hope I have a feel for the real world even though I was given a used car in high school. As for the high schooler with the rx-8... Yes, that might be a different story. Guess I know who the favorite is at least.

-Whit

·
Registered
493 Posts
I like to talk about myself and how rich my family is because it makes me feel important. If it wasn't for the money my life would be really shallow and worthless.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
zcar222 said:
I am posting this because I am in shock. My little brother who is still in high school got a new car today. In my family, this should be no shock because my older brother and myself both got a reasonably priced car as a graduation presant before we actually graduated.

I WAS shocked, however, to see my brothers new car was a brand new RX-8.

I think my obsession and constant babbling about cool cars is psychologically messing with the people I am around the most. I am a car freak and everyone in my family knows it. It must be rubbing off or something because... As of right now, my mother is driving a 350z. My brother is driving an RX-8. I will be driving the Elise as soon as it arrives, and my older brother is trading in his Sequioia (spelling) for a to-be-determined sports car. My father has decided that he will not be re-leasing his Yukon this year... and is eyeing the FordGT (fingers crossed) and the caddy SLR convertible (i think thats the model). I wouldnt be surprised if my grandmother who lives with my parents, trades in her buick for a crossfire.

Sounds cool and all... but how is anyone going to haul anything around? My family has a boat that actually NEEDS a large SUV to tow it. They do not have a lake house or anywhere to store it, so it must be pulled to the lake every trip. Speaking of trips, how are we going to take family trips anymore? Are we too old for that now? Both my brothers and I will be in college next year. None of us are married. So... that doesnt make sense.

Is this getting out of hand?

-Whit
Damm! We all have our issues don't we? :) I especially like the line about the lake house... Sounds like a good problem to have. But seriously though, make sure you post some picts of your dads new Ford GT, if he gets one. LOL, Your brother got a RX 8 when he graduated. I got a foot up my a$$ and the words get a "That's great, now get a job". :p

Neil

1 - 6 of 6 Posts