The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I joined the LT forum back in December as I needed advice on who to get my Elise serviced with (I hasten to add it is now my daily starting point). LARRY was one of the first to jump in and say Qais at Southbay Autohaus (in fact he has this written in his signature :)).

So I finally got round to dropping off my Elise for her 15K service yesterday and felt compelled to write this morning.

I am not a mechanic, I like tinkering but limit it to changing an air filter or wiper blade :). However, over the course of a few months driving your car (I got my Elise in Sept 08) you begin to feel things, notice new sounds when they occur, identify the brake pedal 'feels soft' etc etc. My point is I came to Ralph (co-owner of Southbay Autohaus) with a list of things I wanted him to check whilst servicing.

From the get go the entire team was friendly, helpful and gave the firm impression they knew what they were talking about (and clearly the DO!). Ralph took my car at 09:00 yesterday morning, the service was complete mid afternoon around 16:00. Qais looked at her around 17:30, took her for a road test (as had the mechanic who had serviced her earlier in the day) and then called me to come and collect her.

He spent almost 30 min with me when I arrived, went through my entire list, made recommendations, helped explain in simple layman's terms what was what and basically put my mind at ease.

And then the car...frankly WOW! She feels completely different, totally smooth through the revs, no longer hunting...just WOW! And I know, this is how you expect to get your car back from a service, but this whole experience from start to finish has been great and I wanted to give credit where credit is most definitely due!

Ralph, Qais, the mechanic who worked on my car (sorry mate I missed your name) and Elisabeth, you guys rock :coolnana: - you have a returning customer for as long as I'm in LA!! Thanks for being honest with me and doing a great job on my 'baby'!

And thanks of course to LARRY who recommend I visit Qais in the first place!!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Did you happen to see a silver Elise in there? I was hoping the work on my car would be done sometime soon.......:(

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you happen to see a silver Elise in there? I was hoping the work on my car would be done sometime soon.......:(
I certainly did lapthis, Qais was saying you are having a fair amount of work done on it (new shocks all round?)....

·
Registered
123 Posts
A little more than just shocks. I have to reserve my judgment on their service until I get my car back. Then I will contribute again to this thread.....

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
how much was the service?

do they do warranty work?

the infernal check engine light came on =(
service is much cheaper than at the dealer, although you have to pay cash and they do NOT do warranty work. if your CEL came on, you can always take it in and they'll run a code on it no charge... however, if it's still under warranty, i'd take it to the dealer for a CEL.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
how much was the service?

do they do warranty work?
I paid $470 for the full service (inc of oil, oil filter) + had them change break pads all round (I supplied the pads). Also had them check a number of other bits and pieces that did not fall under the service umbrella. And no as per LBC111 I don't believe they do warranty work.

service is much cheaper than at the dealer, although you have to pay cash and they do NOT do warranty work.
They accept cards now (except for Amex)

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Ralph, Quais and co. are great !!! Big thumbs-up ! :up::up:

Straight-up good guys, they checked out some things that one of the mechanics at the local dealership (no names, but they are in a beach town with the initials NB) had said my car had problems with and would cost a good deal of money, and told me that these issues were nonexistent. Probably an honest mistake, I'm sure, but it's the difference between an experienced mechanic like Qais and someone who maybe isn't so experienced so they go on the side of an (over)abundance of caution.

·
Registered
396 Posts
My Elise is at the shop having some work done.;););)

I gave Qais a laundry list of parts to install, so it may be a while.:D:D:D

·
Registered
10 Posts
can someone tell me how to phonetically say his name?

would anyone happen to have his number?

thanx in advance :D

will post back my exp with them ...i'll probably go see them next week

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
can someone tell me how to phonetically say his name?

would anyone happen to have his number?

thanx in advance :D

will post back my exp with them ...i'll probably go see them next week
His name is Qais pronounced (Kise) and his cell number is (310)200-0022

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Qais' number is 310-200-0022.

This info has been posted about one-half dozen times. :wallbang: The search function is your friend.

His name is pronounced "Kais".

1 - 14 of 14 Posts