The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Banned
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.
A Fella who answered my ad for help on my Lotus is really interested in buying my car.
He lives 300kilometers away.
I have sent him many many pics. of the car and I was honest what needs to be fixed and ougeht to be fixed.
Most of me says maybe sell. The other side says keep.

The car has 37,000 miles on her.
Interior is very good.
Exterior is very good.
Should have a new Tbelt done along with Tensioner.
V.Booster may need to be replaced or just reconnected?
New clutch and rebuilt tranny.
Fans have an anomily.
Paint has the usual chips.
Glass is verygood.
Shifts just fine.
93 Revolution wheels.
Looks fantastic from 10 feet away.
What do you think its worth?
Red with Charcoal interior.
Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
4,182 Posts
I suggest any responses be via PM. Reason why is you may get lowball figures and that may (correctly or incorrectly) give the buyer an unrealistic expectation (assuming he may be on this forum).

Personally, I don't think you can ask for the same or higher of whatever you paid.
And the Canadian market may be different that US due to the higher rarity of Canadian-spec cars (of which your is one).

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Based on your threads/reponses here, I think you should sell. I do not mean that in a mean way, but I'm just not sure Esprit ownership is something for you, passion-wise...

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,318 Posts
Hang on what kind of "fella?" A real fella with a suit and a dame, or just some guy?
rotfl rotfl rotfl Made coffee run up my nose!

+++++++++++++++

Mike, we know you were originally looking for a later car. Is it worth it to you to sell the non-SE and start looking again?

You have to decide it for yourself.

I think you have an above-average Esprit there. Any other car you buy COULD need more work.

But, the decision is up to you.

·
Registered Insane
290 Posts
I was once told by a car collector that the day you fall in love with a car is the day you should sell the car. Unfortunately I never listened to this advice.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
You went through so much to find this Esprit. All used cars (and Esprits) will have something that needs attention...the issues you have mentioned about this one are minor ones. Its only normal to feel discouraged when one's dream car is less than perfect. It's like dating that long-awaited super model of your dreams and finding out that she is not quite the way you thought she would be when you dreamed about her every night. It is important to keep in mind though that if you buy another, the next one might well be way worse. A LOT WORSE! :)

Have you insured her and taken her for a real drive yet? I remember how excited you were in your post when you took her out for a quick drive the first time. I have a feeling that once you spend some real time on the road with her, you may become a lot more attached.

Then again, if you are not feeling the magic with this one or if finances are not good right now due to your current marital situation then perhaps this is your chance to say, "I PISS ON YOUR $##,###" :)

Either way, I wish you the best!

Roy

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Based on your threads/reponses here, I think you should sell. I do not mean that in a mean way, but I'm just not sure Esprit ownership is something for you, passion-wise...
Frankly I agree with you 91MR2, he should sell it.

These are cars which (like many others I have had as well I might add and not to mention many other classic cars out there) require as a general rule one or combination of the below:

1. Funds available and someone to do all the work for the owner

2. Ability, tools, location, etc. for the owner to do all or most of the work themselves. I prefer to do all but major stuff like timing belt myself. Can I do the timing belt myself? I have no doubt I could considering I had done many times before on a 1990 300ZX Twin Turbo not to mention in a weekend by myself swapped it from an automatic transmission to a manual.

BUT.. for the not so drastic difference in expense of having someone else doing it that is experienced coupled with time it takes and the biggie - they screw up they buy me a new engine, etc. it is worth it.

·
Banned
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I still wish to stay in the Lotus Family.

I am still undecided if I want to sell. If I can make a decent profit from the car, I may let it go. I then wish to purchase a newer model; an S4 or an S4S in prime condition and in a dark color.

·
Super Moderator
4,182 Posts
[snip] If I can make a decent profit from the car, I may let it go. [snip]
I've only been in the Esprit forum since 2011, but I've rarely heard of anyone 'flipping' an Esprit for any significant profit.

Can we have a show of hands of anyone able to flip an Esprit successfully? :evil:

·
Registered
6,956 Posts
I was once told by a car collector that the day you fall in love with a car is the day you should sell the car. Unfortunately I never listened to this advice.
I've always heard that owning a Lotus is like owning a boat: the two best days of ownership are the days you get it and the day you get rid of it.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
LOL...I've been using that boat analogy for years! There is an incredible feeling of relief when you first sell an Esprit, kind of like you got away with something before something bad happened...LOL Sadly, shortly after that is when that gnawing, empty, awful feeling, deep in the pit of your stomach sets in and that is the feeling that stays with you...until you get another and then the whole evil cycle starts over again. :)

As for profit...I don't know if I have ever heard the words Esprit, profit, and flip used in the same sentence, ever! :)

Roy
Sold an Esprit twice...third time around now and second time owning the same Esprit I have now

·
Banned
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes I have been lagging with getting the car roadworthy and appreciating what I have.
It does not mean I am disinterested!

Ill be honest and say why.
First of all my passion for a vehicle starts prior to purchase. I am passionate about the car and have slowly learned its quirks and have experienced some of its genius.

Awhile ago I was so involve in my Porsches. You could say fanatical. Ive done every type of work on them that is imaginable.
I sold them to buy a Lotus.
This Esprit that I purchased was supposed to be for my Son and I.
I had hopes on working on it together with him. At age 16 I wanted to give it to him.
Things have changed. His mother bought him an iphone. A DuneBuggy. A Siberian Husky Puppy.
It was my Sons dream to have a Dog,especially a Husky.
The gifts evolved into blackmail.
His mother states to him that if he sees me, all will be gone; including the Dog.
I havent seen my Son for awhile now.
My dreams of us together working and cruising together amongst other things are shattered.

Finally my Attorney that I retained has acted and has gotten my Son his own Lawyer and I have one as well.
I know my X wont admit to the deal in court. She will just say they are gifts without strings attached.
My Son is very afraid of losing his Dog and I dont want him angry with me.

So I am saddened about life right now and that reflects upon my car.
BUT...I must keep moving forward, otherwise.....life is sad.

·
Super Moderator
4,182 Posts
Sorry to hear the troubles Mike.

Personally, a car should never be higher priority when you're talking family issues.

Family first, even with all the drama.

But just be aware it's very tough to sell your Esprit for more than you paid (and my guess is you paid quite a bit, judging by your reaction to that Black SE that someone offered up at a steal a few months ago).

If you need to sell, try selling at 10-20% over what you paid - if you can't sell within your allotted time frame, clearly it's too high.

You can always find another Esprit someday if it's truly important to resolve your family issues.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Esprit and profit? Yes, I have sold my last 2 for more than I had in them...
Ah, but you like us don't count labor, just cash flow.
On a cash basis we also are able to make a small profit.
If we counted labor we would be better of working at KFC......by a LOT

As for Mike and the son and the ex, you are actually very fortunate that your son is going to be 18 in less than 2 years, because then all the lawyer crap goes away, and it just goes back to a relationship between a father and a son. In the meantime save your cash and aggrevation and just relish the few moments you can get with him, as I doubt the custody crap will be resolved in time to make any difference.

Randy

·
Cal H
982 Posts
Esprit and profit? Yes, I have sold my last 2 for more than I had in them...
Jim, You are one of the lucky ones. I always take a huge loss on my Lotus sales. Sometime in the future when it comes my time I hope prospective buyers remember to respond positively to my fair market asking price so I may recover a fraction of my labor and parts expense.

·
Cal H
982 Posts
The labor part is all the fun for me atleast.
LOL when my wife hear something like..... ouch my hand....God D*** F****** car from the garage she pokes her head out and says "are you having fun with your hobby again?" The burns, cuts and bruises have gotten less severe and not as often over time. It's a love/hate relationship with the car.

Mike,
You have an ad asking for someone to perform paid service work on your Esprit in the Edmonton area. Because of your skill set I and others were under the impression that you would be doing your own service work. Regardless of if your son is a participant or not you would have done most of the work yourself anyway. Use this opportunity as a healthy diversion and perform your own service work on your car. There is certain calmness and satisfaction that takes place when working on a hobby car. At least that is what most car people experience.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts