The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I helped my dad install a bunch of mods to his Elise this past weekend. It was a great learning experience. I have done a lot of mechanical, electrical and electronic mods over the years on numerous German and Japanese cars. But NOTHING came close to the agony of installing the Avic N2 because of such tight quarters!!! In any case, we finished everything we started over 3 days, and his Elise is even more of a joy!

Here's a list of mods we worked on, and approximately how long it took:

1. Stealth Bulbs from Bekkers - 10 minutes:

2. Cool White WLED-x5 LED Wedge Base Bulbs from Superbrightleds - < 1 minute with lens cover removed. These are very bright and emit a nice cool color:

3. 35w 6000k HID lights from DaBears2k - 1 hour. a BIG thanks to Matt for addressing a FedEx shipping problem and getting them to us on time. These are amazing and speak for themselves:

4. Larini exhaust and Euro grills purchased from lancer360 (Chris) - 3 hours. Thanks Chris!!! This exhuast screams like you can't believe. I couldn't get enough of hearing it:

5. Boyo rear view camera purchased from ebay - 1 hour. A very clean stealth look and great picture quality for the price.

6. Pioneer Avic N2 purchased from eBay. We also soldered a jumper wire on R197 for the bypass. Over 7 hours. This NAV unit has tons of features. It's a real treat:

7. Valentine One hard wire purchased from Valentine1. About 1 hour while doing the NAV work. A must have!!!

8. WLED-x6 LED Wedge Base Bulb for the courtesy light - <1 minute while the rear panel was removed for the NAV work. This picture doesn't do it any justice:

9. And finally, we also did the alarm wire extension mod, but didn't take any pics :(

Some gratuitous finished pics:

Thanks to all the DIY contributions from the LT forum members that made these mods doable. :bow::clap:

Thanks to Kestrel74 (John) as well for the CO hardtop :bow: that completes the look of the Elise.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Really Nice...

How did you run the wire for the V1? I just had mine hardwired and they couldn't figure out how to run the wire without running it from the dash.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Nice mods... thanks for the links and pictures.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Nice... :up:

I'd love to see a few "how we got there" pics too, especially the rear view camera and stereo install... How did you route the wires for the camera to the head unit?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Looks Awesome! The Larini and euro grill are also my favorite...

·
Registered
259 Posts

All I can say is :drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool: :bow::bow::bow:
Is he going to remove the Lotus lettering, I like the clean look of the single badge.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
Wow...that hard top looks brand new !! rotfl

·
Registered
948 Posts
Congrats!!! Nice Job buddy!!! :clap:

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
By far my favorite looking exhaust. Car looks great!

·
Registered
539 Posts
sweet job. :clap:

If you do switch to a hole-less diffuser, you should get it powedercoated.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Really Nice...

How did you run the wire for the V1? I just had mine hardwired and they couldn't figure out how to run the wire without running it from the dash.
We ran it from the top of windshield down the passenger side A pillar then through the corner of the dash and tapped it onto the aftermarket radio harness. That's basically the quickest way to tap the ignition source.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Nice... :up:

I'd love to see a few "how we got there" pics too, especially the rear view camera and stereo install... How did you route the wires for the camera to the head unit?
We really wanted to take pics as we went along, but we started the NAV install at about 9pm and we just wanted to get it done since I was heading home to CA from NV the next morning.

The backup camera system basically involves running 2 wires. One wire (reverse trigger wire) runs from the passenger side reverse taillight positive wire in the trunk to the Avic hideaway unit inside the cabin. The other wire (which is really an audio/power cable) runs from the camera on the license plate frame to the Avic hideaway unit as well.

We started by removing the passenger seat. This also required removing the passenger seatbelt from the seat and from the roll bar. Then we removed the rear plastic panel along with the speakers. The thick foam behind it also had to come out.

With the foam removed, you'll see some wires on the lower left corner near the roll bar that goes through a grommet toward the firewall. Pull the grommet out from inside the car. It will make running the wires through the firewall much simpler.

Move to the rear of the car and mount the license plate backup camera unit. Then, remove the carpeting and foampad from the rear trunk. There's a hole between the license plate lights where we ran the wire up for the camera into the trunk. Next, use a wiretap to connect a long piece of wire (reverse trigger wire) to the positive wire of the reverse light.

Run the two wires through the last gray grommet between the trunk and the engine bay, and continue running them from the engine bay through that hole through the firewall, and finally through the loose grommet you pulled out from inside the cabin. Connect the video connector to the Avic hideaway unit. Solder the reverse trigger wire, the positive wire for the camera and the reverse wire on the Avic hideaway unit all together. Solder the negative wire for the camera to the ground wire of the radio harness.

Inside the car, I tucked the two wires into the carpetting that runs along the door sill to the dash and zip tied them to some wire bundles under the dash. You pretty much don't see any wiring at all.

Finally, I used some of that plastic conduit on the section of wires that ran through the engine bay to protect them a bit from the heat and elements. I then zip tied them to the tubular bar in the engine bay.

If you wire it as I explained, when you put the car into reverse, the positive wire you tap into from the reverse light turns on the backup camera and also sends a signal to the Avic system to display the image from the reverse camera.

The next time I'm out there, I'll take pics of this stuff to make it easier to understand. Running the wires wasn't all that difficult. PM me if you have any other questions.

·
Registered
294 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts