The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I am new to the boards even though I have done a lot of reading here over the last few days. I have been dreaming about buying an Exige for some time, and after testdriving one last week, time has finally come to buy: :coolnana: !!!!
But before I pull the trigger, I have a few choices to make and I thought that some of you could enlighten me with some of their knowledge. I am currently debating between a new/used 07 Exige and a new S240 but am also considering a used 06 Exige for price reason. I plan to use it on weekends and make auto-x and track a priority.
1) Buying outside CA.
As I live in California, how is the process of buying a new one outside of California: any legal stuff to do, any test for the car to pass, anything to pay ? Any concern I should have about shipping the car from wherever ? How about buying a brand new car a thousand miles away without looking at it first: standard or dumb, ie dealers can be trusted about the expected mint condition of the car ?
2) Mods
I don't know too much about mechanics (but eager to learn) and as I was checking out classifieds and ads, I could see that some sellers made quite some mods to their cars: are these always considered upgrades or could it void the warranty or be kind of "dumb" mods not good for the car ?
3) installing supercharger on 06 Exige
I read some threads about it but I am not clear about that. As of today, it is possible right ? At what cost (parts + labor) ? Is it worth it or are 07/08 models much better because of other upgraded parts such as brakes for example ?
4) Buying used
Any concern I should have when buying used as I am not a car mechanic ? Anything to look for or a well-known "trap" ?
5) Club racer
Is the club racer anything special besides the fact that it is a limited edition ? Worth the price ? Thoughts ?

Thanks a lot for your answers. Hoping to become a "real" member of this forum soon...

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
1) Buying outside CA.
why buy outside when u can buy inside, inspect it, make sure everything is OK
2) Mods
this is a tough one, each person personalizes their cars their own ways, better to buy bone stock
3) installing supercharger on 06 Exige
not necessary, but i can put you in touch with a guy that will TURBO for ya
4) Buying used
i personally dont have much knowledge on used since i got mine brand new...sorry
5) Club racer
worth it if you like how it looks, and if you CAN afford it, IMO its ugly, sports cars are red, white maybe black, sometimes orange and yellow, but NEVER blue...yuck

Thanks a lot for your answers. Hoping to become a "real" member of this forum soon...
hope that helps

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the answer, this will most definitely help...

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Spend a lot of time here using the search function. You will get most of the info you need to become more educated on the subject.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I personally like to take the simple route: buy new (gets you a warranty) and buy the best model you can afford. In that vein, I'd say get the 240 with whatever options you like...

·
Registered
826 Posts
I'll say that my car is used, and a press car....WHAT...and it came with a flashed ECU so I dont' know what those heathens did to her. But.....so far about 10K trouble free miles......

You can see better out of the back of the 06's........if you care...I wouldn't.....

Hmmm what else...........get a used 06...throw some money at it and have something nobody else does.....drive the piss out of it and run it into the GROUND..smiling the entire time!!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks a lot guys. Definitely useful info...
I think I'll stay away from Exige with a lot of mods. Price is definitely a huge factor so I'll probably look into a new or low miles 07 if I can find a good deal. A S240 would be great, but as it is definitely a stretch in my budget, I am not convinced (yet) the price difference is worth it for me...

·
Registered
180 Posts
I bought a new '07 S. The price difference for the '08 240 didn't seem worth it to me. Of course, that's something only you can decide.
There are still several '07's around that can be bought with a decent discount. I don't know how much the '08's are being discounted at this point, maybe a lot too with the current economy, who knows? A rough guess would be $8000 difference between a new '07 and a new '08. Worth investigating.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Some thing to consider. If you have the dough and you live in Ca ,and have your heart set on a charger, get the factory charger (S, elise S, 240 whatever). There are plenty of used low milage Exige Ss at a savings to be found. Yes the aftermarket chargers work fine, and cost less. However you will be unable to get it smogged, no one has finished carb approval yet. I sold my NA elise after thinking long and hard about an aftermarket blower. Bought an S , have no regrets. Your milage may vary.

Oh and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Some thing to consider. If you have the dough and you live in Ca ,and have your heart set on a charger, get the factory charger (S, elise S, 240 whatever). There are plenty of used low milage Exige Ss at a savings to be found. Yes the aftermarket chargers work fine, and cost less. However you will be unable to get it smogged, no one has finished carb approval yet. I sold my NA elise after thinking long and hard about an aftermarket blower. Bought an S , have no regrets. Your milage may vary.

+1 Don't invite the smog police. If you want a supercharged car, get one from the start if you are in CA. Also depends on where in CA you are...some counties don't require smog, and you should know if yours does.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Thanks for the welcome.
I didn't know about the smog issue. Very good to know !
I think a new/used 07 Exige will be my weapon of choice since you can find some new ones for around $60k and some low miles in the low 50s: I think this will keep my blood pumping, especially at the track for years to come...

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
+1 Don't invite the smog police. If you want a supercharged car, get one from the start if you are in CA. Also depends on where in CA you are...some counties don't require smog, and you should know if yours does.
+100000 one of the reasons i forked up the extra $$$ for an S, if i new the 240 was commin i would have waited for that instead

1 - 14 of 14 Posts