The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all--some of you know me -- or my car -- the red 05 Elise HRM edition (black stripes, stage 2, mags, alcantara everywhere, etc.). I just sold the car--but it was not that easy (what is nowadays?!) One thing I know for sure, without my man Steve at Specialty Car Craft in LA (La Cienega by the 10), I would be out at least $1500, AND may never have been able to sell my car. See, the car had been sitting for a few months, and when I went to drive it, the old vibration it used to have turned in to a hard, knocking feeling in the steering column. Since I had sold the car without having driven it for a while, I knew the buyer would (rightfully) back out, or demand a huge discount, for the non-disclosed problem. So, I took the car to a local shop (my local Lotus dealer in BH went out of business), and the guy said "steering rack" after a 30 second drive. I actually called Lotus Newport, and described the sound/problem. They agreed--since it is known that the rack is delicate; not defective, so it could have broken with some robust driving. Well, I was bummed--since the rack would have been $1500--plus the delay. In a funk, I checked Lotustalk--and saw a tiny ad for SCC in LA--and called them, since they were open on Saturday. I figured I had nothing to lose. I got in the car with Steve for a test drive--and first thing he says--"lets see if it isnt something minor"--not "oh-boy-its-a-rack-that'll-be-a-grand-or-two". After spending HOURS lifting the car, examining the rack, trying new rims and tires on the car (they had other elises there with good rims and tires)--he figured it out--FLAT SPOTS ON THE YOKOHAMAS!!! He EASILLY could have charged me for anything--I never would have known. All I needed were new tires! IN ADDITION, when he sourced the tires locally--since I needed them quickly--I told him the price was 30% less on TireRack--AND HE LET ME BUY THEM AND SHIP TO HIM. Again, he had a chance to make some money, and GLADLY helped me save! And here is the biggest shock--when it came time to settle, ALL HE CHARGED ME FOR WAS CHANGING AND MOUNTING TIRES. I was stunned! When I asked him how he could do a money losing job like mine, he told me that he often does custom paint work (matte black Phantom anyone?) for $10-50K and more (he was doing a MATTE WHITE LAMBO at the time)--so these little jobs are more to gain a new cusotmer. Steve, I am a customer for life. Little did he know that I own several cars--all of which now I will take to him--for paint, dings, even to help me find a tuner! That's how much I trust this guy. HE IS THE MAN and I HIGHLY SUGGEST that anyone needing help in or around LA with their LOTUS track him down! THANKS STEVE AND ANDY AND THE GUYS!!!!!! :clap:

1 - 1 of 1 Posts