The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have always been a Lotus fan but have never owned one. Am thinking of buying a 2011 Evora S (2011 Lotus Evora S 2+2 Dallas, Texas | Park Place Lotus of Plano) but wanted to ask the experts -- what should I be looking for by way of potential problems? I don't have the time or the skillset to do a lot of work myself, so am I looking at a money pit here? Have seen discussions about Evora's clutch problems (and the significant expense) -- are these concerns real or overblown? What about problems with the dash splitting, etc.? Are you all concerned about the possibility of Lotus going under and what that might do to the availability of parts? I would really, really like to get a Lotus and the people here really seem to enjoy them, but would appreciate your takes on my questions (and anything else you throw out for me to consider). Thanks!

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
The dash stuff is warranty replacement and really won't split as much as warp due to leather shrinkage.
10,270 miles and no clutch issues for me, great in fact. Just knowing the replacement cost makes me be nice to it.
I'm really not worried about them going under. they will make it at least a few more years and by then my warranty will be over. There is enough out there to fund someone in the aftermarket for parts if they did.
By the way, I LOVE that car and interior. S and 2+2 is great.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
This forum is the place to read about all possible problems any Evora owner may have had. Don't consider that as representative of any single car. The Evora is great and a dream to own and drive.

On a 2011 most issues should have been resolved by the previous owner, so you should have a trouble free experience.

Regarding clutch there were a 2-digit number of cars that had assembly issues, but those affected were all handled under warranty. Regular clutch life is as on any other car and you'll probably never need to replace it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Have always been a Lotus fan but have never owned one. Am thinking of buying a 2011 Evora S (2011 Lotus Evora S 2+2 Dallas, Texas | Park Place Lotus of Plano) but wanted to ask the experts -- what should I be looking for by way of potential problems? I don't have the time or the skillset to do a lot of work myself, so am I looking at a money pit here? Have seen discussions about Evora's clutch problems (and the significant expense) -- are these concerns real or overblown? What about problems with the dash splitting, etc.? Are you all concerned about the possibility of Lotus going under and what that might do to the availability of parts? I would really, really like to get a Lotus and the people here really seem to enjoy them, but would appreciate your takes on my questions (and anything else you throw out for me to consider). Thanks!
JGS,
I have a 2011 Evora and have spend nothing on it except regular oil changes. The Warranty took care of all issues including the floppy clutch and delaminating leather dash. Since the warranty work was done the car has been trouble free and just roars along with its Larini exhaust. I have no concerns about Lotus going out of business. They are now owned by a Malaysian company with good financial backing.
Sent you a private message.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
I saw this car the other night. It is really nice looking. The 2011 Canyon Red they have was filled with scratches if you or anyone else has been eyeballing it. It could be fixed with a long full day's worth of orbital buffing though.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I saw this car the other night. It is really nice looking. The 2011 Canyon Red they have was filled with scratches if you or anyone else has been eyeballing it. It could be fixed with a long full day's worth of orbital buffing though.
Thanks for this..... I'm loosely looking.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Yes, I was looking at the canyon red as well ... I do not understand all the little marks and scratches ... in the end, decided that there are many others out there in better condition. Be careful with that car.

·
Illegal Alien
5,261 Posts
I have an early '12 with 4000 miles; only issues that were promptly fixed under warranty was a door locking release mechanism issue and vibration in driver outside mirror.

She purrs along.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
I have a 2010.. She's my daily commuter. lots of little problems but nothing I would give the car up for. Later models have fixed most of the little issues, but being that this is an English car, you will be granted the full experience :) The clutch was replaced under warranty within the first year and has run beautifully ever since.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts