The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, need a little help with the ignition of my 2010 Elise.

Had to leave the car in the sun for a few hours and the ignition is simply locked. They key won't turn at all and steering wheel is fully locked as well. Regardless of how much I "play" with the steering wheel/lock, key won't turn. And...I need to drive back home from work which is 70miles away!

Any help much appreciated. Can the temperature be an issue?

·
Premium Member
5,195 Posts
It's probably mechanical but if you can get I've you may try cooling the area. If you could get some WD40 to spray in the lock area that would help.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Are the front tires against a curb?
Maybe roll the car backwards and forwards some while moving the steering wheel back and forth?

Maybe some spray lubricant in the ignition/key slot?

Wishing you lots of luck!

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
The only thing, besides the wrong key, that would prevent you from turning the key is the steering column. If your tires are free to move and you're sure you tried wiggling the key and steering wheel I have no clue. I had this happen a few times in the cold in KY and sure enough I have to really jog that steering whee to break it free ( not a lotus ).

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Did you look for a dealer? Its near 7 right, worth a call but most mechanic have left I'm sure. Did you try wd40? Tapping the face of the lock cylinder can release a stuck tumbler. Did the key bend or break?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did reach out to two dealers in the bay area but had no real solution. Anyone know a mechanic or shop in Sacramento?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Shop or mechanic in Sacramento

Does anyone know a Lotus mechanic or shop in Sacramento? Kind of urgent.

thanks.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tried both keys as well. Nothing worked, had to tow it to Boardwalk Lotus and dropped it there. Good that it still has 3 m of warranty!

Thanks all for the help, will let you know what was wrong with the ignition. Quite a challenge to tow an Elise out of the top floor of a parking garage with a 7 feet clearance, rear wheel drive and front wheels fully locked...

·
Registered
676 Posts
I cleaned my jeep's dirty lock cylinder with brake cleaner once. Never lube a lock cylinder with oily stuff, try graphite lube instead

·
Premium Member
12,147 Posts
Goober is correct.

Best I've found is Dri Slide.

Liquid carries moly into all areas & crevices, then evaporates.

So, dirt is not attracted.

Brilliant results often, e.g. wheels for sliding doors, etc.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Boardwalk Lotus had to order the ignition from England so waiting for a good week or so. Let's see what went wrong.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Changed the ignition and reprogrammed the key. All under warranty and good care by Boardwalk Lotus. Thanks to Bob who did a great job.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts