The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I can't seem to be able to access the 24-mm drain plug correctly.
The 2 black cables are very in the way.
If I forcefully push the cables upwards, I can seat the socket, but then the wrench can't be inserted into the socket, not enough room.
Do they make a shorter socket?
Also, the socket that I do have doesn't have the hexagonal pattern that fits the drain plug.
I'm looking at the plug and see that there's been some stripping of the corners of the hex. I'll go to the auto parts store tomorrow and look for a shorter socket with correct hex pattern.
But what about those 2 cables? Are they in the way for you too?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just changed my transmission fluid this weekend. You'll need a 24mm, preferably 6-point, socket. Mine measures the same 1-1/2" that you show in the photo. Your plug may not be rounded, as I thought the same of mine, but it just has a bit of a different appearance.

I was able to push the black shifter cables to the side far enough to get the socket to seat properly. From there, I had room to insert a short extension, which puts the wrench into some free space.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
Bryan

·
Super Moderator
773 Posts
If you remove the shift cables from the wire guide it will give you more wiggle room with the shift cables to be out of you way.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bbursey: I will look for a 6 point socket, and a short extension.

Catsailr27: does the shifter have to be in a certain gear to allow for the cables to be moved?

Thank you guys, some new ideas for me to work on.

·
Super Moderator
773 Posts
No any gear is fine. Helps to be able to move them around during gearbox fluid changes.

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,341 Posts
Think I've always had mine in neutral but not sure if it matters. You can also undo the bracket on the shear panel to give a little more room it you cannot get them off of the hangar. Mine were also ziptied to a holder on a transmission bolt, you can cut that and use a new ziptie when done but you should have enough slack without doing that.

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Elise BRG
189 Posts
I don't remember having an issue doing this. Will a combination wrench work?

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
When I did mine, I sat the socket, used a short extension that went between the minimally moved cables, and engaged the
socket wrench.
Plenty of wrench room and made it easy to use the torque wrench too.

-John

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
I've posted a picture of that same area from my 2009 Elise. I guess I must have the right sort of wrench since undoing that plug didn't pose a problem for me.
P1100896.JPG

1 - 14 of 14 Posts