The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New acquisition, 07 Elise 1500mi. First time garage temperature dropped to about 60 or so I get a backfire on throttle release, every gear change til temp is up to 160. Now I have an engine that sounds fuel starved for the first minute or 2 of life, worse when air temp is cooler. This an Elise behavior problem or should I get to the dealer?

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Mine stumbles a bit also when there is a drastic temp change like a cold front blowing through. Usually goes away after driving the car several times as the ECU has to learn and readjust. You should be ok as long as you aren't seeing a CEL. :tadts:

·
Registered
263 Posts
What exhaust do you have? My Stage 2 pops on throttle release of shifts sometimes as well but :tadts:

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Let the car idle for about 15 minutes before your next drive.
No good. I got the Elise so I could leave 5 minutes later for work than in the Porsche.

Exhaust does not have a "Stage". It was sent from Toyota to Yamaha to Lotus to dealer.

As for "Mine stumbles a bit", it's got computerized engine management presumably from Toyota. They didn't do the tuning in Liverpoole did they? Haven't heard of a "normal" stumble in a EFI car in 25 years. :shift: (don't know what this smiley means but i like it).

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
From what you are saying, you have the stock exhaust, so if you listen closely you can hear rumbling/popping of excess fuel going into the exhaust when you lift suddenly off the throttle. This is perfectly normal. With a Lotus Stage 2 exhaust or with a third party aftermarket exhaust it becomes more pronounced, but it is still normal. This ECU is not a normal ECU like you have encountered in the past. The ECU is designed by Lotus not Toyota and it is a learning ECU. There are many threads on this to read up on. Because it is a learning ECU, when you get drastic temp changes from when you last drove the car, it may stumble a little bit while it makes the adjustments. Depending on the model year, there were some updates that Lotus put out to help with this issue a bit. You can check with your Lotus dealer to see if your car has/needs them.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
these cars will burble and pop a little even when fully warmed up. I think mine is more obvious when it's cold. I know mercedes pumps a LOT more fuel through their cars when the engine is cold to get it up to temp faster. I don't know our cars do this... as they take a LOT longer to warm up than my 5 liter mercedes, but the premis that we might have more gas getting dumped into the chamber on cold engines would makes sense to get more audible pops out of the car when cold.

When mine is cold it takes a few turns before it starts up... more than my other cars i've owned, but it does fire up fine. However, if i get fairly hard on the gas right after start up (i don't need to get to the 6k red line, nor do i need to actually floor it) but the idle will pulse/throb if i come to a complete stop very shortly afterward. This only happens pretty much right after start up becuase i've got a couple stop signs not long after my driveway. I've got 35k miles on it and it's always been this way and never gotten any better or worse.

... and as someone else eluded two, there used to be at least 3 standard exhausts offered by lotus. The base exhaust, Stage I and Stage II. (stage I is quite rare, but stage II is fairly common)

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
No good. I got the Elise so I could leave 5 minutes later for work than in the Porsche.

Exhaust does not have a "Stage". It was sent from Toyota to Yamaha to Lotus to dealer.

As for "Mine stumbles a bit", it's got computerized engine management presumably from Toyota. They didn't do the tuning in Liverpoole did they? Haven't heard of a "normal" stumble in a EFI car in 25 years. :shift: (don't know what this smiley means but i like it).
"No good" meaning that you tried it and it didn't work or you aren't willing to try it?

As already said above, the Lotus ECU is a "learning" ECU and can adapt to changes. If you let it idle for 15 mins or so it may correct itself. There is much info about the learning ECU here on the forum.

If you are saying that you have an EFI standalone in your car then I haven't a clue as I don't own one. PM turbophil or see his thread for some tuning tips: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f171/efi-tunning-tips-here-60312/

Good luck to ya.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have a 2006 elise with 15,000 miles and I am also having the first start up stumble when the engine is cold. I brought it to the dealer and they said everything was fine. It will actually stall if I touch the gas for the first 30 sec or so. So I let it sit idle for a min and its fine, def runs smoother after a few miles of driving. And I also get lots of pops and burbling when I lift off the gas, I love the way it sounds, and dealer said it was normal (I also have a stock exhaust) So what your explaining sounds to be a normal Lotus thing along with hundreds of other little ticks these cars seem to have.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
"No good" meaning that you tried it and it didn't work or you aren't willing to try it?

As already said above, the Lotus ECU is a "learning" ECU and can adapt to changes. If you let it idle for 15 mins or so it may correct itself. There is much info about the learning ECU here on the forum.

If you are saying that you have an EFI standalone in your car then I haven't a clue as I don't own one. PM turbophil or see his thread for some tuning tips: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f171/efi-tunning-tips-here-60312/

Good luck to ya.
Just reread your post (as it's included in this quote) and I got a whole different meaning than the first time. You mean let the car idle one time for 15 minutes, not every time I drive it right? Thought you were joking. ECU is stock. Whole car is stock 07. Don't know which exhaust cuz I don't know how to translate option codes. Thanks all for the tips. I will spend some time poking around this board and see what info I can glean.
"EFI" = electronic fuel injection. Someone on this planet should standard these abbreviations rather than let each car maker use his own. Sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
Just reread your post (as it's included in this quote) and I got a whole different meaning than the first time. You mean let the car idle one time for 15 minutes, not every time I drive it right? Thought you were joking. ECU is stock. Whole car is stock 07. Don't know which exhaust cuz I don't know how to translate option codes. Thanks all for the tips. I will spend some time poking around this board and see what info I can glean.
"EFI" = electronic fuel injection. Someone on this planet should standard these abbreviations rather than let each car maker use his own. Sorry for the confusion.
I did mean not every time you drive it. Sorry I wasn't more clear the first time. It may not help at all but it is a simple thing to try and could possibly change things for the better for you. Just idle. Do not drive it during that time.

I figured you were meant elec. fuel injection but there is an aftermarket race ECU that some have tried to tune for street use with varying success called EFI (think of that as a company name). I wasn't sure if that was the ECU to which you were referring. Lotus does not use the EFI (company name) at all. They use their own ECU.

Your exhaust is most likely the stock exhaust (feels like an anchor if you pick it up). The stage 1 is pretty rare. The stage 2 exhaust has stamped on the can, depending on the manufacturer, either Janspeed or CLF. It is also stamped "Off Road Use Only" or "Track Use Only" -- I can't remember which. There is no way other than looking at the exhaust to know which one it is. If you want to post a pic of it I'm sure we can tell you which exhaust it is.

·
Registered
685 Posts

WDONOVAN it's not a normal car "EFI car in last 25yrs don't stuble." Well this one does, it's special, it's part of it's character. It only needs an 1-2min idle before taking off the first time of the day. Some people let them idle 10-15min before starting off the first time of the day. I can't wait that long, and I think that's a little excessive, IMO.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Mine stumbles unless I let it warm up for a good while. If I don't, the RPMs bounce around and the car jerks down the road. rotfl

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
i have a brand new water temp sensor in my 06 elise.it also does the stumble on start up.i just let it idle a few minutes before taking off.i thought mine had a drive by wire tb problem.but no codes and it seams to be a common problem on the 06 and newer cars.fwiw my 06 ecu has the (efi)company logo on it.i thought that the company(efi)made the stock ecu.anyone know about that?

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
The behavior i described on mine is driving off immediately after start up. I've never bothered to let it idle for any period of time and here it's normal for there to be 20-30degrees difference from evening when it's shut off to morning starts. Average morning temps are in the 40's to low 60's.

i only get the throbbing idle if i've laid into it a little. In that case i've sat there at the stop sign to see what'll happen and it has stalled on me before, but not usually, and just a tiny bit of throttle keeps it from happening, but giving it some gas immediately after a start up has never caused mine to stall.

Are charliex's tunes known to be a little more stable than the factory tune? (and you get a better cam switch point too)

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks all for comments. As far as temp sensor, I went through all the sensors in my mind (yes there's room for that). H2O temp would not change appreciably in 30 seconds to 1 minute. Air temp.... ditto. MAF... possibly heater not warm for first minute. TPS.... Sometimes they get "dead spots". Maybe off idle it has one and fully enrichened startup demands the most fuel so...? I am trying the learn process with long idle times before driving. I am doubtful of impending success because this (mis)behavior happens in open loop before the O-2 input is used. Normally EFI systems (that I know) can not learn in open loop because there's no feedback. I have an Autotap at work and will try to read sensors at cold conditions. Maybe it will red flag a sensor. If not I will have to blame software. Especially with the other replies here about similar conditions. I will call the dealer and ask if there's a software update. If none of these I'll wait every time I start the car and scratch my head as to how Lotus would hire a programmer that can't write a simple after start fuel enrichment routine that covers the almost unheard of temperature of 70 degrees F.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I have an '06 with the stage 2 exhaust and the stage 2 ECU from Lotus (5800 rpm cam change-over). My idle is rock steady. I give it about a 15 second warm-up after I back out of the garage and never have any issues.

Despite the Lotus software, this engine in fundamentally a Toyota with Toyota engine controls; it should be about as well-behaved. A dirty air filter, dirty or sticking IAC (idle air control valve), bad thermostat and/or vacuum leaks can all cause idle and stumbling issues.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts