The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Checked code on my 05 since the check engine light came on a while ago and am getting code P0542. TimMullin told me the manual says it could be low pressure in the fuel tank, apk919 says it is Evaporative Emission System Pressure Sensor/Switch Low. Plus the fuel gauge has not worked properly for months. Does anyone have a Service Manual they would like to sell or loan me for a week or so?
I put the vehicle in a local shop and they told me they could narrow the problem down if they had the manual to work from for wiring, etc...

I would rather make the repair myself then put the car in the lotus garage.

Thanks,
Brian

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,689 Posts
Not many other people there in North Pole, Alaska with Elises.......( you might want to mention were you are located )

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys,
I am in Fredericksburg, Va. and yes I did a search. After looking through the first 5 of 15 pages I thought it would be easier to just ask the ?

Creafish
You have a technical Service manual?
What the hell you doing with a name like creafish, your suppose to be on the mississippi coast.

Brian

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
check your gas cap, you most likely haven't tightened it enough.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tried the gas cap about 5 times.

If I had a manual I might be able to figure out what the sensor and fuel sending unit have in common and maybe trace it from there.

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
I don't understand why you can't download it for $25 like the rest of us. You are willing to buy it from someone, so...

Lotus Subscribe

As to the code, no idea. I once had an issue with my Ford. Replaced the gas cap, didn't fix the problem. Had to replace the stupid charcoal canister thing for like
$800. I seriously doubt yours is the same problem, but good luck.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I probably will pay and download it. However if he had one already printed I am more then willing to give him a couple bucks for it and pay shipping. Helps me and him. Hell I was willing and thought it was going to cost me over $100. for the thing so I have no problem paying $25. for it.

Thanks again for the link!

Brian

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well since my name is Creagh it's been a nickname pretty much my entire life. Anybody in Chicago up for a brunch drive this Sunday? I have to break in a new motor that FVM just put in. Does anybody even come close to them when it comes to service?

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
am getting code P0542. TimMullen told me the manual says it could be low pressure in the fuel tank, apk919 says it is Evaporative Emission System Pressure Sensor/Switch Low.
Are you sure it was P0542? There isn't a code such as that listed. There is however, a P0442 which is the Evaporative Emissions System Leak Detected (small leak).

P0452 is Evaporative Emission System Pressure Sensor/Switch Low.

The first one is often a lose gas cap which the Evap system detects as a vacuum leak.

You really need to pay the $25 and download the Service Manual - every Lotus owner should have one, as you local mechanic isn't going to ever have one.

In any case, until you get one, here's the appropriate sections. The manual has info on how to find the components and remove/replace things in other sections....

Here there are:

Evaporative Emission Control – Leak Detection System
P0441
P0442
P0455
P0456

P0441 Evaporative Emission System Incorrect Purge Flow
P0442 Evaporative Emission System Leak Detected (small leak)
P0455 Evaporative Emission System Leak Detected (large leak)
P0456 Evaporative Emission System Leak Detected (very small leak)

Description

During an Evaporative Emission System Leak Detection check, the vacuum in the system is monitored by ECU using the fuel tank pressure sensor. At the appropriate time, the test starts with the ECU closing the canister closure value and opening the purge solenoid with the appropriate duty cycle. This allows the engine to draw a vacuum on the entire evaporative emission system. After a calibrated vacuum level is achieved the purge solenoid is closed, sealing the system. A leak is detected by monitoring any decrease in vacuum level over a calibrated period of time.

Sensor / component connections
Vapour Pressure sensor
Connector Pins Description ECU Pin ECU Connector
1 Ground 78 (L4) 28 Way (Left)
2 Signal 75 (C1) 28 Way (Left) '06 M.Y. in brackets
3 5V V. Ref. 55 (M4) 28 Way (Left)

Purge Canister Closure Valve
A Battery Voltage - -
B ECU ground 9 (H2) 52 Way (Left) '06 M.Y. in brackets
Purge Solenoid
A Battery Voltage - -
B ECU ground 38 (F4) 52 Way (Right) '06 M.Y. in brackets
Enable Criteria:
• Altitude < 8000 ft (2438 m), Baro > 700 mbar
• Coolant > 45°C (113°F)
• Air temp < 80°C (176°F)
• Fuel level between 8 – 35 litres (2.1 – 9.24 US gallons)
• Vehicle must be stationary
• Closed loop fuelling control enabled
• Closed loop idle speed control enabled
• Ignition on

Disable Criteria:
P0171, P0172 – Fuel trim too rich or lean soft code
P0441, P0444, P0445 – Purge faults
P0446, P0447, P0448 – Canister closure faults
P0451, P0452, P0453 – Tank Pressure sensor faults
P0461, P0462, P0463 – Fuel level sensor faults
P0500 – Vehicle speed faults
Malfunction Criteria

P0441T
his code can be caused by the purge value being either stuck closed or open.

Purge valve stuck open
A purge valve that is unable to seal correctly will result in a tank evacuation during the sealing phase of the leak check sequence. In this phase, a pressure rise would normally be expected but when the purge valve is not sealing this causes depression in the tank. When the pressure is below 1.7mbar a purge valve fault is detected.

Purge valve stuck closed
A purge valve that is unable to open will not be able to achieve the required depression during the evacuation phase. A positive pressure rise during the leak check evacuation phase will be detected. Additional purge checks will set a purge valve fault code.

Monitor: Until leak check is completed

P0442
This code is set during the evaporative leak check process if the system calculates the measure of leak is above a specified value (determined by a table related to fuel level) after the 6.3 second timer has expired.

Potential failure modes:
• Leak from pipes or connections
• Leaking or damaged seal on filler cap / not fitted correctly
• Canister Closure valve not fully closing

P0455
This code is set if during the evaporative leak check the system fails to reach the evacuation target pressure.The system will perform additional purge checks to determine the nature of the problem. The additional purge checks will also run if the leak check fails to complete because the calculated vapour concentration is above the limit.

Additional Purge Check Enable Criteria:
• Vehicle not stationary
• Load between 30 – 35%
• Purge value >= 75%

Potential failure modes
• Fuel filler cap not fitted
• Canister Closure valve stuck open
P0456
This code is set during the evaporative leak check process if the system calculates the measure of leak is above a specified value (determined by a table related to fuel level) after the 19.7 second timer has expired.

Potential failure modes:
• Leaking or damaged seal on filler cap / not fitted correctly
• Canister Closure valve not fully closing

Notes:
• The MIL will be illuminated if the fault is present for 2 consecutive trips.
• Further information on the sensor may be found in Toyota 1ZZ-FE, 2ZZ-GE manual RM733E (B120T0327J) page FI-53

The second one is:

Evaporative Emission Control – Purge, Open / Closed Circuit

P0444
P0445
P0446
P0447
P0448
P0451
P0452
P0453

P0444 Evaporative Emission System Purge Control Valve Circuit Open
P0445 Evaporative Emission System Purge Control Valve Circuit Closed
P0446 Evaporative Emission System Vent Control Circuit
P0447 Evaporative Emission System Vent Control Circuit Open
P0448 Evaporative Emission System Vent Control Circuit Closed
P0451 Evaporative Emission System Pressure Sensor/Switch Range/Performance
P0452 Evaporative Emission System Pressure Sensor/Switch Low
P0453 Evaporative Emission System Pressure Sensor/Switch High

Description
When the engine is running the ECU continuously monitors the feedback signals from the evaporative emission components. The feedback signal should be low when the turned ON and high when turned Off. The following codes will be set if the above conditions are not met.

P0444, P0445, P0447, P0448, P0452, P0453

P0446

This code can be caused by the canister closure valve (CCV) being either stuck closed or open.

CCV stuck open:
A CCV is stuck open then there will be minimal tank depression when the leak test is performed. Addition check will be performed when the vehicle is being driven before the code is set.

CCV stuck closed:
Detection of a stuck closed CCV is implemented by detecting an excessively low tank pressure during normal purge. Detection of this fault will disable further purging.

Additional checks for stuck CCV closed:
• Vehicle not stationary
• Load between 30 – 35%
• Purge Value >= 75%

Monitor: Until leak check is completed.

P0451

This code is set when the ECU detects abnormalities in the fuel tank vapour pressure sensor signal. The ECU analyses the filtered and nfiltered pressure signal at idle after a de-slosh period to determine if there is any difference, a big difference indicates as fault. The ECU also monitors the signal on gear changes to see if there is any pressure rise as a result of the fuel sloshing around.

Disable Criteria:
P0500 – Wheel speed sensor fault
Notes:
The MIL will be illuminated if the fault is present for 2 consecutive trips.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts