The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm a long-time lurker who's not had the means (or garage) to invest in an Elise or Exige until recently, but I've had my eye on one for a couple years as a three-season weekend/autocross/occasional track car. I'm in Oak Creek (soon to be Kenosha) and had a good laugh when I realized RLS is like right down the street from me.

I've rented an Elise for a day before in Las Vegas but never driven an Exige, so I'm gonna go test drive a 2011 S260 this weekend -- would any of you happen to know anything about the prior owner or what he did with it? Looks like it was a one-owner car sold at Lake Forest Sports Cars in the summer of 2012. No red flags have popped up, but I'm curious.

2011 Used Lotus Exige 2dr Coupe S260 at Naperville Auto Haus, IID 11851381

Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's kind of you! It'd be helpful to have another set of eyes look it over. I've read the pre-purchase inspection checklist posted around here but I'm sure you would have a better sense of what to look for.

We'll be down there at noon tomorrow. Not planning to make a purchase on the day-of so if you can't make it before then I'd still appreciate the input.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Couple of things:

- Check with 'Me!' on the forum - he has an Exige and lives in Oak Creek.

- If you are heading towards Naperville to drive it tomorrow (Sat), you should first come to SuperCar Saturdays in Bolingbrook (right near Naperville) - some of us Lotus guys will be there and we'd happy to share anything and everything about our Eliges:

Supercar Saturdays

- I'm not familiar with that place - the car appears to be a honey. '11 and very low miles. I can't really seeing any '11 Exiges (most are in the '06-09 vintage).

- And yes, while a rare car, I can't help but think the dealer is way off. Basically asking 'internet price' of $70K for a car that stickered at $74K. A car that is going on 4 years old. Yes, it's rare. Yes, it only has 2,400 miles, but that seems VERY high. I doubt he'll ever get that for it.

·
Registered
324 Posts
took a look at the car, and it is pretty much brand new. It was inside, so i didn't get a chance to drive it. I talked to Mike, the owner. Seemed like a pretty good guy. I would call before you go, because they have been in talks with some guy from Florida(they thought I was there for him.
Also, I am putting my 08 for sale, so if you want to take a look at that also tomorrow, let me know.

·
Registered
15 Posts
- And yes, while a rare car, I can't help but think the dealer is way off. Basically asking 'internet price' of $70K for a car that stickered at $74K. A car that is going on 4 years old. Yes, it's rare. Yes, it only has 2,400 miles, but that seems VERY high. I doubt he'll ever get that for it.
(I'm Ausbird's husband; I'll be in on this)
That's very good to hear! How low would you think we could go? I'd like to offer 60k and go from there but I have no idea what a "reasonable" price for it is.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool, thanks for checking it out costlydakota. Yours looks like a solid setup, but as a compromise for noxbird here we're looking to find one closer to stock.

I agree, my gut said it was overpriced but it can be hard to say exactly how much with how few of the '10 and later I've seen out there. Considering how many nice Exiges and Elise SC's (my preference, if I'm honest) have been available for sale in the $40-50k range in the not too distant past...

·
6.94915254 lbs/hp
2,033 Posts
Hi from Oak Creek! Strangely there are 2 Exige's and one Elise within a mile (the other two aren't very active though).

If you need any help let me know!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hah, neat. I was just gushing the other day at how I saw an Exige pass by at an intersection coming home from work -- looks like it's yours! I run a blue RX-8 R3 at the moment. :)

·
6.94915254 lbs/hp
2,033 Posts
Hah, neat. I was just gushing the other day at how I saw an Exige pass by at an intersection coming home from work -- looks like it's yours! I run a blue RX-8 R3 at the moment. :)
Haha yeah, probably Puetz or Ryan... My DD has been in the shop this week so I was forced to drive the Exige... Great weather for it too! :mad:

Pretty sure I have seen your car a few times.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The guy we had an appointment with almost refused us a test drive due to a store policy of "we don't test drive exotics" that wasn't communicated to us until we drove down there. Poor thing has barely been driven; I kinda feel sorry for it. Hopefully they'll come down towards the price we offered.

We test drove a Cayman S PDK later in the afternoon, and while it was a lovely and plush car, I've mostly forgotten the feel of driving it already. The Exige I can still picture every shift and burble from the exhaust. I would have killed for some multivex mirrors, though; shifting lanes was hairy at times.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The guy we had an appointment with almost refused us a test drive due to a store policy of "we don't test drive exotics" that wasn't communicated to us until we drove down there. Poor thing has barely been driven; I kinda feel sorry for it. Hopefully they'll come down towards the price we offered.

We test drove a Cayman S PDK later in the afternoon, and while it was a lovely and plush car, I've mostly forgotten the feel of driving it already. The Exige I can still picture every shift and burble from the exhaust. I would have killed for some multivex mirrors, though; shifting lanes was hairy at times.
To elaborate; we both took a turn in it. It's really quite nice! But we offered 60 and didn't budge from there. They said they had an offer at 68 but it'd be a month and a half before the sale closed up. We walked out, but not until we gave them our contact info and saying "If you wanna get it out of your showroom, give us a call. We're ready to buy now."

We'll see if they call us with a counteroffer!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.