The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought it worth posting a thread separate from my TT1 build thread just because it's been cool enough to warrant it! :up:

A bit different that Lotus Cup where Lotus cars are against Lotus cars, NASA and SCCA mix the Lotus into groups of cars of all makes and models. Additionally, there's money on the line. Hoosier, Toyo, and Yoko all sponsor NASA and SCCA so the winner of a race will get 2 tires from their respective supplier for each day's race. There's a race Sat and Sun, so that's 4 tires at $275+/ea up for grabs on a weekend for each class you race in.

In NASA, classes are largely by power to weight. NASA essentially uses a common set of power to weight rules across Time Trial and Wheel to Wheel. So if a car classes in TT1 (Time Trial 1) it will cross directly over into the wheel to wheel class 1, called ST-1. So is the case for TT2/ST-2, TT3/ST-3, etc, etc...

Classes 1, 2, and 3 are generally consumed by American and German high horsepower cars, while B-E is often Japanese. An NA Lotus falls into B or C class depending on a few point modifiers. For reference, B class is perfect for modded S2000s and stock powered EVOs and STIs in race trim. E class is about where slightly modded Miatas go. There is a "Spec Miata" class as well that will run in E class type speeds.

OK- So here's the score. Lotus cars are TOUGH to compete in these classes. An NA Lotus has to have the shirt tails driven off it to make up for the lack of straight line speed it has to the S2000 and Evo. Remember, the guys in this for the real competition are driving prepared race cars here. These are not cars that see the street. Once you get into supercharging the car, you can find yourself running against Porsche Cup Cars, Z06s, 911s, Vipers, etc... again, those who take it seriously in fully prepared race cars. So getting enough reliable horsepower out of a 2ZZ to compete with these HP monsters presents its own set of challenges.... oh yes, and then you have to drive good since you know the competition is practicing hard too!

This year has been great because there are 3 Lotus cars that are really leaving an impression across the NASA regions in the middle of the country, ie Central, Colorado, Texas, and Midwest regions.

Greg V and his crew of Tim are just killing it in ST-1 and TT2 (he's an ST-2 car that classes UP to ST-1 but chooses to run TT2 in TT). They are competing in multi region events and either takes a close second or will take first and typically sets a class record in the process.

Jim L and I work together on his B Lotus Elise. He's got the momentum thing down pat and has set several class records in B class in multi region events.

As I've written in my TT1 thread, I'm having a great year in 1 class with some overall records (meaning fastest among anything NASA has classed in either ST/STR or TT) and class records.

On the way home from this last event, my wife asked me what the best part of the weekend was. I said, "Honestly, it was the three Lotuses taking down the top spots and setting records again." This is the second time this season that the three of us pulled off a sweep of wins and records.

What makes the the little ant think that he could move the rubber tree plant? ;)

Here are some pics I've posted before, and will add some more as soon as the photographer gets them up later this week...

Cheers,

Phil

Attachments

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
I had just read your other post earlier. Glad the Loti are doing well. Like your color scheme.

San

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
Saw your FB post. Great job Phil................

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I don't follow NASA races much, but I vaguely recall someone talking about the way the rules are set that makes Lotus cars very hard to compete with.

I guess you guys all cracked the code and put supreme effort in it. Congrats!

But another thing is.. if you're are destroying the field like that, aren't you guys essentially shooting yourselves in the foot when the organizers try to 'balance' the performance? :cool:
By all means, though, don't slow down. :D

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Sweet work dude. Nothing but admiration for these guys. Outrageous.

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys

Here are some pics!

Attachments

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
a few more...

Attachments

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And a better group shot

Attachments

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
So rad!

Being pretty new to the track/lotus ownership there is a certain camaraderie that comes that I did not expect.

I think it's due to the rarity of the cars and the fact that it takes a "special" or certain type of person to own one of these cars. Due to our common thought processes, you become instant friends, trading and sharing tips, lending tools etc.

At the last track event I even ended up towing one of the other lotus owners cars home after he had engine issues. We are different ages, backgrounds, professions and religions. Just met him that day at the track. None of that matters though because we love these cars!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts