The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since my wife and I learned, in January, that we were going to have a child, we have been guessing if our Elise, that was ordered in July, 2003, would would arrive before our baby. The question was answered on Friday September 10, 2004 at 3:21PM. The Elise is late and the baby(William) was early! He was due October 7th. He was 7 pounds and 7 ounces and 18.5 inches long

His reaction to finding out that our Elise was not here for him to sit in when he got home, is attached below.

My wife and I went to his then weekly doctor's visit, when we learned that she needed an emergency C-section! After a happy birth, we learned a few hours later he was transferred to the Neonatal ICU with breathing problems. After a few scary days and a few hopeful days, he got to come home with us today (Saturday).

It is events like this that put the Elise being late, and the poor communication, and the frustration, all in perspective. They are of no consequence in the grand scheme of things.

He is about 3 minutes old in this photo.

Happy Dad,
Greg

Attachments

·
Registered
963 Posts
Congrats! He does look a bit mad that the beat the Elise to the house. :D

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Congratulations! :clap: :bow: Y'know... I think your baby has already assumed the "Driver's Position!" (His right arm is reaching for that stick shift lever had the Elise been available...) ;) :p

Bob

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I am just happy that I am able to joke about it. It was a rollercoaster week.

You think dealers don't know how to communicate? Try doctors. Everyone is always worried about liability and managing expectations down. I understand both, but when they talk in doctor-speak about what is wrong, what they don't tell you is "is he likely to survive?". Don't ever ask "Can he die for this?" like my wife did. The answer is always yes. We all can die tomorrow, however, the vast majority won't. It took alot of corraling to get them to answer the question "Should we be scared or optimistic". The answer was optimistic, and I felt much better. However, when when your baby is hooked to a ventilator, IV lines, multiple monitor leads, it is hard to be upbeat. You certainly don't worry about when your Elise is coming in. In spite of diverting my attention from my wait, I don't recommend the experience. Except for one thing, it will cause you to cherish your child a bit more, maybe a lot more. William is our first child, and this is not the way I imagine whole childbirth process working.

Now I need to start worrying about how to interpret his crys. Is it the "I'm hungry", "Change my diaper", "I have gas", "I'm tired", or the "When is the Elise going to get here!" cry. :D

Thanks again,
Greg

PS Kiss'em if you've got'em (your children, that is)

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Fantastic, he already has the right expression for the first time you dive down into turn 12 at Raod Atlanta! Does Piloti make baby driving shoes?

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Welcome to modern medicine. The malpractice lawyers have utterly ruined it.

While i have no doubt you are an intelligent & reasonable person, and feel for the apprehension of your last week (glad it worked out well), the American public is not uniformly reasonable in its expectations, which often are absurd and not rooted in any reality except that defined by television, lawyers' highway billboards, and word of huge, disproportionate jury awards.

While perfection is the only ideal to strive for when charged with the awesome responsibility of managing an individual's health & welfare, life and foresight are themselves imperfect.

If you felt unnerved by the interaction with your doctor, the hesitation to give projections or assurances, then you too have been affected by the climate driven by greedy, manipulative lawyers and complicit legislators, themselves mostly lawyers. They have poisoned the doctor-patient relationship.

Write your congressman. Push for tort reform. When you hear someone espouse the lottery mentality to get rich easy by lawsuit in a case not clearly the fault of the well-meaning physician, go at them hard.

It pains me to have this barrier between me and my patient, but...I cannot get inside that person's head, I don't inherently know their propensity to sue over some unexpected future bad outcome, and I have to protect my career, and my ability to take care of other patients, first. Anything less is professional Russian Roulette. It accounts for billions in needless expense, and the dissatisfaction you had with your doctor, Greg.

Hopefully state-directed tort reform can begin to address this cancer.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Need4Speed

Don't misunderstand, I hold no animosity towards the doctors and nurses. In fact, I think they are fabulous, we called them our heroes! Heck, we will be donating a Stage II exhaust to the NICU team and our hospital (well, the cash equivalent at least). I know that they merely trying to protect their patients, and their families from unrealistic expectations, and their own families from financial ruin. We chose our doctor because of the hospital the baby would be delivered in, as well as her own stellar reputation. The hospital has a level III NICU. We could not have asked for a better place. If I thought for one second that William would have received better treatment at another hospital, I would have had him care-flighted there at my own expense.

Texas passed tort reform specifically on medical malpractice a year or two ago. The limits on pain and suffering are $250K per doctor and hospital. Actual damages are not limited.

I think a big part of my issue is that you have to be smart enough and coherent enough to ask the right questions. They could have given statistics on survival rates for babies in William's condition, with the disclaimer that they were rates, since you can't be 40% alive, either you live or you die.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
In similar situations, I have cornered the doctor's by asking for the percentage chance. instead of all the caveats, having the doctor tell you that there is a 90% chance that things will be okay, helps to put things in perspective. You still have the 10% chance of bad, but at least you know the odds.

I've also had them give options, but no advice as to the procedures to be taken, and found the "What would you do if it was you?" question to be helpful for getting the advice you really need.

I went through something similar (but not quite so serious) when my daughter (our second child) was born. She turned 21 last December, so things do turn out just fine.

Congratulations on your son. :clap:

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
I wasn't breathing when I was born (came out blue according to my mother) and I've turned out fine (though some may dispute that... ;) ).

Congratulations :)

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Very cool.

Ours is suppsoed to be here in March.
The Elise is supposed to be here next month.
Just signed papers on the new house this morning. Room for both impending arrivals - 5 bedrooms and a 3-car garage.

:eek:

It's all a bit overwhelming, ain't it.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Racer X said:
Now I need to start worrying about how to interpret his crys. Is it the "I'm hungry", "Change my diaper", "I have gas", "I'm tired", or the "When is the Elise going to get here!" cry. :D
The one I love is the cry "I'm falling sleep but I don't want to." It's funny to watch an exhausted kid try to keep from falling asleep. I think it has to do with them having a regulated life and this being the only thing they can control. I'm glad things turned out OK.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Robert Puertas said:
Very cool.

Ours is suppsoed to be here in March.
The Elise is supposed to be here next month.
Just signed papers on the new house this morning. Room for both impending arrivals - 5 bedrooms and a 3-car garage.

:eek:

It's all a bit overwhelming, ain't it.
That's great Robert, when do you move in?

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Racer X said:
Need4Speed

Don't misunderstand, I hold no animosity towards the doctors and nurses. In fact, I think they are fabulous, we called them our heroes! Heck, we will be donating a Stage II exhaust to the NICU team and our hospital (well, the cash equivalent at least). I know that they merely trying to protect their patients, and their families from unrealistic expectations, and their own families from financial ruin. We chose our doctor because of the hospital the baby would be delivered in, as well as her own stellar reputation. The hospital has a level III NICU. We could not have asked for a better place. If I thought for one second that William would have received better treatment at another hospital, I would have had him care-flighted there at my own expense.

Texas passed tort reform specifically on medical malpractice a year or two ago. The limits on pain and suffering are $250K per doctor and hospital. Actual damages are not limited.

I think a big part of my issue is that you have to be smart enough and coherent enough to ask the right questions. They could have given statistics on survival rates for babies in William's condition, with the disclaimer that they were rates, since you can't be 40% alive, either you live or you die.
None taken.

Like anything in life, being tuned in and proactive is a big part of the game.

I hope the rest of the nation takes Texas' lead (in tort reform). Not often I get to say that... ;)

Tim's approach and questions are good ones. When I have a patient mired in equivocation, I will sometimes say, if I'm advocating a course of action, that I would recommend the same for my father or mother.

Best of luck.

Mike

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Congratulations:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: another EliseTalk baby - We've had a couple so far so let's get on the stick and keep carrying on the tradition all you young guys out there.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
William is quite anxious to get in the Elise. He has asked if I could fit the car seat on the drivers side!

Thanks for all the well wishes. He is doing great. He has gained 5 ounces in 4 days! He just needed for his lungs to develop a little bit. Otherwise, it appears he is strong and healthy.

The first pictures of our Elise will have William in it.

Thanks Again,
Greg

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Congrats Greg!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts