The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some lady backed into the rear of my Elise today while I was kneeling beside it.

I had both doors wide open with the boot lid up fiddling about with stuff inside the passenger compartment. I was facing away from the lady who backed into me. I jumped up and pounded on her SUV window after the car jerked forward. If I hadn't been there the damage would have been awful. Luckily I pounded on her window in time for her to stop before she caused serious damage. The fiberglass made a CRUNCHING noise and the car jerked forward as she hit the rear of the Elise.

There is no NOTICEABLE damage, not even spiderwebbing (at least I don't think there is any) Is this possible? Can the Elise rear clam withstand minor impacts? If there is no noticeable damage, I guess the SUV lady gets off scott free...?

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Some lady backed into the rear of my Elise today while I was kneeling beside it.

I had both doors wide open with the boot lid up fiddling about with stuff inside the passenger compartment. I was facing away from the lady who backed into me. I jumped up and pounded on her SUV window after the car jerked forward. If I hadn't been there the damage would have been awful. Luckily I pounded on her window in time for her to stop before she caused serious damage. The fiberglass made a CRUNCHING noise and the car jerked forward as she hit the rear of the Elise.

There is no NOTICEABLE damage, not even spiderwebbing (at least I don't think there is any) Is this possible? Can the Elise rear clam withstand minor impacts? If there is no noticeable damage, I guess the SUV lady gets off scott free...?
Hope you got her information, and keep a watch on your clam.

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
Glad it wasn't worse!

I have a Lotus Esprit friend who was standing beside his car when somebody pulled into the spot next to him. The were so close they actually crushed his leg(s) between the two cars!!! His Esprit is bright yellow btw.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
:wallbang:

Sorry to hear about the incident, I hope turns out to be nothing. It's incredible how many really bad drivers are out there...

·
Super Moderator
5,459 Posts
a dear old bat reversed into the side of my car just behind the drivers door. I heard the crack but once I cleaned the scuff off there is no visible damage. I have kept an eye on it but nothing untoward and it has been over a year so I hope you are in the same position.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
depends on what part of her SUV hit you and the material it is made of. I had a jeep back into me and it dented the corner of her bumper, but only left a smudge on my clam. That was two years ago and no problem since.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Almost happened to me at the bank. I was showing one of the car enthusiast bankers at my branch my new Exige. We were standing next to the car, and an older gentleman (80+) decided to use the entire driveway to back his car up. We literally pounded on his trunk to get him to stop. He had about 6 inches left before he hit the car. He had absolutely no idea that the car was behind him.

·
shay2nak
25,083 Posts
no damage and you heard crunching noise? maybe the mounting screws are cracked?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I would let insurance know about it and just keep an eye on it. Someone backed into the rear of my Elise a few months after I got it and the only issue after some buffing was a small spot where the clear coat appeared to be "smeared". It was right on the edge of the clam above the license plate, you could barely see it even when looking for it. My insurance knew about it but I decided to not get it repaired as I didn't want to risk the paint being a shade off & being without the car for a month or so. Over two years it never got any worse.

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for all your remarks, I feel better now
-Robert

1 - 11 of 11 Posts