The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve never seen this one before. This seller has included a copy of this dealer Invoice for the car. I guess to counter doubt that may have been cast on the legitimacies of the recent EBay auctions.
At the very top of the invoice it is dated as 2-18-02. Then further down it is dated as 1-10-04. I would imagine that the later date was added when he placed is order.

I cannot determine what dealer it is from. Does anyone here know?

Auction

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Many of these e-bay auctions have a similar tone in the ads, so it's probably the same person trying to sell them.

Although the sales order looks nice, no guarantee that it's real. You can do wonders these days with scanners and printers.

Caveat emptor, re these auctions. Could be real, could be a scam. Could be a dealer testing the waters to gauge the markup to charge for an early car. Could be one of us with an extra spot to sell. Could be the guy who tried to sell me his spot for $5-8K.

If people who just placed a deposit can get on a list at #38, why pay a fortune to get a car a few months earlier?

·
Registered
219 Posts
jml1952 said:
Many of these e-bay auctions have a similar tone in the ads, so it's probably the same person trying to sell them.
Never overestimate the creativity of your typical ebay seller. SOP for selling something seems to be to look at a similar item that's already sold (or at least been listed) and then liberally duplicate the other person's effort, often times right down to the photos, still hosted on the original lister's site (makes for some really funny auctions when the original listers find out about it).

Kinda like reading the output of a class full of 3rd graders who've been assigned to do a report on Thomas Jefferson - all just different slight variations on what the encyclopedia says. ;)

·
Registered
788 Posts
That's funny because I had a short discussion with the owner, Ian I think, of that dealership about this very matter at the LA auto show. He seemed adamant about wanting to sell only to customers that were going to keep their cars and not flip them or sell their place in line. He also said he would sell at list price. Anyone on this list?

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
The credit card receipt has the merchant ID (MID) number on it.
Each merchant has a number that is specific to them
I'm pretty sure that if that number can be traced back we can find out who the dealer is.

Latest conspiracy theory since I have nothing better to do than fuel our need for rumors until the cars arrive:

I wonder if "Nicholas" is really Nick from Symbolic who might be scheming with another dealer where they leave deposits and place orders for each others cars and then try to sell them on eBay:eek:

"I'm sorry we have no Lotus' for sale. The people working at other dealerships have bought them all from us. Likewise I have bought some cars from them. Now there are none left at either dealership. Please just buy the ones we are sellimg On ebay instead":mad:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts