The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

YES that is old tire dressing sludge!!!

Everyone loves the look of freshly dressed tires, it really completes the look of the entire detail. However, not all tire dressings are created equal. Most people who use tire dressings are aware of the dreaded sling some of them produce, but the issues don’t stop there. This sling off can actually stain paint and plastic parts if left long enough. More importantly, tire manufacturers add antioxidants and antiozonants to the sidewall and tread to help prevent premature aging from ozone and weather exposure. Certain cleaners and tire shines can remove these important components of the tire which can lead to cracking and sidewall failure.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Back when I used to detail my car, I would always scrub the tires clean prior to dressing. And then instead of using dressing, I use vinyl protectant for a nice low sheen shine that doesn't sling. Give it a whirl.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
i have found that body paint off a porsche 910 works well too...

·
Registered
831 Posts
I wouldn't put product on my hair or on my tires....

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unfortunately, as a professional detailer I run into this issue way too often with customer cars. Figured an informational article on it was necessary. Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
2011 Persian Blue Elise R(S)
819 Posts
Dan, is there a dressing that you would recommend?

·
Registered
260 Posts
303 Aerospace Protectant. No silicones, low/no gloss, UV protection, water resistant, no sling. Also use it to protect the clear bra and plastic interior surfaces on my cars.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dan, is there a dressing that you would recommend?
I recommend products like Optimum Tire Shine which is water based and solvent free. These dressings will not sling, attract dirt, or leave behind a sticky/ greasy mess when used properly. Its also important to properly clean the tire before applying any dressing.

303 Aerospace Protectant. No silicones, low/no gloss, UV protection, water resistant, no sling. Also use it to protect the clear bra and plastic interior surfaces on my cars.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Might have to do a short article on interior protectants as well.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Thanks Ned and Dan, this is great info!

I love this place!!!

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
I've been using Meguiar's Gold Class Endurance High Gloss for many years, and like it a lot. It holds up well. Do you have any opinions about this product Dan?

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,045 Posts
Shiney tires on an Elise doesn't look right.
I tried it once and it really doesn't suit the car, especially
with such high sidewalls compared to super low profile
tires. (35 or 30)

-Rob

·
Registered
07 Exige S
1,572 Posts
I just wipe the excess off... It does not have a "wet" look, more satin or possible matte, but as for myself I don't like them looking wet. I like the sidewalls black with a little shine

I would never put so much on and then drive it like dealerships do when they wash your car. Of course it slings all over the place !

·
Registered
391 Posts
Bump old thread, I've found that 1z tire dressing is the BEST to use. It gives a more "natural" shine and produces no sling. Use an applicator sponge for best results. Plus it only lasts a few weeks which is nice since some look like spray paint.

·
Premium Member
1,498 Posts
Makes sure to tell the auto dealership to never wash your car when it is in for service.

My favorite product for tires or vinyl is Meguiar's Hyper Dressing. It can be adjusted for gloss, has a nice smell and not greasy.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Since my last post on this thread (2 years and 8 months ago), I have found the best tire dressing (IMO).

Tuf Shine. You need to scrub your tires with their cleaner countless times to remove silicone or any other foreign deposits from past treatments. Then apply their clearcoat. One coat puts a slight shine. The more coats you apply, the shinier the tire. It is dry to the touch, with no sling and lasts awhile. If you see the shine diminish or just want them shinier, do a normal wash and just reapply the clearcoat. Where I used to dress the tires every time I washed the car, I only do a touch up every once in a while.
The hard work is in the initial scrubbing but it's worth it. Just Google Tuf Shine and see the reviews.

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
Bottom line...........There are two schools of thought!

If you are a washer and waxer, use it.

If your are on the track, you cant see the goop you slopped on your tires at 130 MPH.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Bottom line...........There are two schools of thought!

If you are a washer and waxer, use it.

If your are on the track, you cant see the goop you slopped on your tires at 130 MPH.
I love seeing track cars with shiny tyres,i know they are just a city poser who have lost their way and are an easy beat lol :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts