The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
No. You can have any transmission as long as it's a six speed manual. However, don't be surprised if in the next generation or late in this model run a automatic or sport shift slush box is offered to increase the demographic for the car. The current trans is very easy to use and even if new to the whole shifting experience, don't be afraid to try it out.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
tippmann said:
does the elise have the choice between a manuel and automatic transmission?
Who is this "Manuel" of whom you speak?

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
I could go biblical but then my simple spelling mistake could end up causing a whole devine intervention thing with the delivery of our cars. And frankly, you don't want to take me there right now.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Re: Re: a quick question

TripleBlack_NJ said:
You've got to be kidding.
You never know. There are people that are physically incapable of driving a stick...

Tim Mullen (all my cars have sticks)...

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
zOOmz said:
I love driving a standard 5 speed, but in heavy traffic a tiptronic type option on the Elise would be very beneficial. I guess that is something for a dream list that will probably never happen. Something like what the MR2 Spyders have. :)

z
BURN HIM, BURN HIM, BURN HIM AT THE STAKE!
Seriously to each his own, but....
For my personal use and interests a sports car must be a stick shift, I wish Formula 1 went back to it, no padlle shifters or watever else they use these days.

·
Registered
291 Posts
zOOmz said:
I love driving a standard 5 speed, but in heavy traffic a tiptronic type option on the Elise would be very beneficial. I guess that is something for a dream list that will probably never happen. Something like what the MR2 Spyders have. :)

z
With the right technique a stick is easier than an auto. the trick is to travel at the average speed of the traffic instead of matching the speed of the car in front of you. The gap to the car in front of you will expand and contract but you'll rarely have too press the brake or clutch, only occasion taps on the gas.

This is impossible to do in an auto because of the high coasting speed and lack of engine braking.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
TripleBlack_NJ said:
This is impossible to do in an auto because of the high coasting speed and lack of engine braking.
To alleviate this problem, I tap down a few gears in "speedshift" mode, but I'm still left with the quirky downshifts.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
i thought the elise has a CVT? :confused:

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
Re: Re: Re: a quick question

MikeAR303 said:
The ability to spell words properly is a rare thing amongst internet dwellers ;)
On any other day, I'd let it go. A small spelling error is not something to make a big deal about. Back off.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
I'm with zoom,

Every car I had it's been stick, but there has been a couple of times I wished I had an automatic trasmision.

For example, once in Dallas 635, took me two hours to go from I-75 to I-35 (around 8 miles) my left foot was worthless by the time I got home.

So I agree with her, tiptronic would be great. It's a great balance between automatic and manual.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
TripleBlack_NJ said:
The gap to the car in front of you will expand and contract but you'll rarely have too press the brake or clutch, only occasion taps on the gas.
I used to play a game on my afternoon/evening commute in stop and go freeway traffic. I see if I could not use the brake. There were many times that I could do the whole trip (speeds between 45 and 0) and not have to touch the brakes once. All the while all the automatics around me were going from "zoom" to "screech" and not getting any where any faster...:p

Tim Mullen

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: a quick question

wallabyguy said:
On any other day, I'd let it go. A small spelling error is not something to make a big deal about. Back off.
I didn't think I made a big deal about it at all.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
TimMullen said:
I used to play a game on my afternoon/evening commute in stop and go freeway traffic. I see if I could not use the brake. There were many times that I could do the whole trip (speeds between 45 and 0) and not have to touch the brakes once. All the while all the automatics around me were going from "zoom" to "screech"
Specially the ones behind you. :)

P.S. I can certainly understand not wanting a stick if someone drove rushhour freeway traffic. I don't care how good you are at it, when the traffic comes to a complete stop, you have to push the clutch in. Do that continuously for a couple hours every day and you will have this huge left leg that people will point at as you try to walk straight around the office.

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
Mike, First accept my apology. Bad day and your comment just hit me off center.

As far as tiptronic type trans. are concerned, I think that if Lotus intends to grow in the US market, the introduction of some type of slush box will be required to increase their demographic. Certainly with a M250 type vehicle it would be almost mandatory. Let's remember that F1 cars use the paddle shift mechanism and therefore we aren't talking about something relegated to Buicks. Further, transmissions like Audi's DMG, have proven that you can in fact have a better automatic than manual in some scenarios. I know that my automatic Thunderbird SC was faster than it's manual counterpart.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Miguel said:
I'm with zoom,

Every car I had it's been stick, but there has been a couple of times I wished I had an automatic trasmision.

For example, once in Dallas 635, took me two hours to go from I-75 to I-35 (around 8 miles) my left foot was worthless by the time I got home.

So I agree with her, tiptronic would be great. It's a great balance between automatic and manual.
That happened to me once as well, except that it was my left forearm (Ducati dry clutch, ouch) But hey, I don't argue with popeye side effect.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Lotus would have to offer a very quick semi-auto gearbox, perhaps something that Magnetti-Mirelli offers. Developing their own system would be far too costly and from what I hear, and Toyota's unit was rubbish. Audi DSG is a good system, but I'm not sure how much it weighs or what is involved in fitting it in the Lotus. The system should be very clear in it's sport intentions with minimal fuss and electronic modes, like those found in a modern Ferrari. I think this is the furthest Lotus should stray to appease those looking for more partical options.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts