The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can’t believe what happened last night.

I am still dumbfounded by the incident..

I just got out of a gas station and entered a road and was going at may be 20mph. All of a sudden, a dog came running towards the car and tried to swerve and hit a truck from behind.

There was not even a single scratch to the truck, but the Elise is damaged pretty bad.

I just called the insurance and have an inspection scheduled next week.

Below are the issues I see.

1)Can’t open the passenger door (looks like it’s stuck).

2)Front clam and headlights have to be replaced).

3)Windshield cracked and needs replaced.

4)Rearview mirror came off the windshield.

I don’t suspect any structural damage, even though I am not 100% sure until I have it inspected.

What do you guys think the estimated costs would be to fix this? I hope it will not be totaled.

Thanks.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Ouch sorry to hear that man. My front clam cost the other persons insurance close to $15K and that was only the front calm so my guess is closer to $20k mark.

·
$3(uR3 u$3r
461 Posts
Hi.

Sorry to see. Could there be any damage to the front suspension? Take the wheel off and look. Hopefully it is only cosmetic damage. Where are you located? Maybe someone on LT can recommend a shop. All the best with the repair.

Alex

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to you all for your kind words.I don't see any suspension damages. But , I'll see if I can remove the wheel when I have some time over the weekend.

I am located in Houston.
I'm new to the city and don't have much idea about the places that do service for lotus.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
That hurts to see. Good luck getting it back on the road!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My insurance company( Geico ) informed me that the claims inspector will meet me at a Toyota dealership.

Should I ask them to have it inspected by star motors or some other dealership that deals lotus cars ?

·
I Have Commitment Issues
2,911 Posts
My insurance company( Geico ) informed me that the claims inspector will meet me at a Toyota dealership.

Should I ask them to have it inspected by star motors or some other dealership that deals lotus cars ?
DO NOT take it to some where that doesnt deal with lotus cars, take it to a dealer.

shoot me an email to [email protected]

We can work with you to get you a clam if they dont total it out.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Also, do not attempt to open the passenger door until the front clam is removed, it will make the damage worse.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Sorry to hear (and see!). Curious to know who your insurance deemed was at fault and what type of collision it falls under.

Anecdotally, a resident from Monterey, CA once told me that collisions with animals were so common that if you ever got into an accident you should always say you were trying to avoid a deer and it won't be be held against you. An anecdote that I never bothered to investigate or verify, FYI.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I'm not trying to open the door and cause any further damage.

I have filed the claim under my collision.
I am not sure who will be at fault in this case as we haven't called cops.

·
not your dad's puns
1,765 Posts
Ouch, dang dog! Keep us posted on how things develop. And +1 on taking it to a Lotus dealer, I've heard decent things about Star.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Are you talking star motorcars in Houston? I've had warranty items completed by them. Haven't really spoken to the technicians or anything, but they always wash the car afterwards :p

·
Registered
33 Posts
Take it to Star. Call them and talk to Mike Dowty. I've had my Elise there a few times for warranty work and they seem to do the job right. Or, Gashead is a local shop specializing in Lotus, but I don't know if they handle collision repairs like that. You might give them a call as they are recommended by many in the area.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Are you talking star motorcars in Houston? I've had warranty items completed by them. Haven't really spoken to the technicians or anything, but they always wash the car afterwards :p
Yes, I'm talking about star motors in Houston.
I will talk to them after I meet with my claims inspector.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Take it to Star. Call them and talk to Mike Dowty. I've had my Elise there a few times for warranty work and they seem to do the job right. Or, Gashead is a local shop specializing in Lotus, but I don't know if they handle collision repairs like that. You might give them a call as they are recommended by many in the area.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Thanks for the info.
I'll definitely give Mike a call tomorrow.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Ouch sorry to hear that man. My front clam cost the other persons insurance close to $15K and that was only the front calm so my guess is closer to $20k mark.
I don't work in insurance, but if it does get into this territory you're getting close to total loss ratios. I'd make sure you are armed with values of comparable cars. I've seen some Elise's priced in the mid to high-20s. If the fix is $20K or more and the assumed value is $25K, that is already 80% - more than enough to total it. Depends on how you want it to play out. Keep your car and fix it or cash out and find a new toy.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts