The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thinking out loud….:mw:

Any thought on a good place to have a Cars and Coffee in San Antonio, and what interest in a C&C there may be?

I really liked going to the C&C in Irvine and was thinking why not do something here. I’m new to living here so I’m a little out of my environment until I figure my way around.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...there's a cruise-in every friday night biff buzby's over on interstate 35 at toepperwein, mostly american iron although the occasional european or exotic car drops in now and again...

...as for a more recognisably cars-and-coffee demographic, i don't think there's anything of that nature extant at the moment - just individual marque club meetings...i've toyed with the idea of a weekly/monthly cruise-in at a local pub where we could run different episodes of top gear in the background, or with leisurely breakfast/lunch caravans through town, but they're not terribly far-developed beyond thought experiments at this stage...

...i think the main reason we don't have anything yet is that nobody's taken the initiative to do the legwork in getting something started, particularly given the marginal turnout to be expected for the first year or so until a solid reputation is established and word-of-mouth spreads...it seems to me that there's tremendous potential for bringing together the broader community here in san antonio, certainly the cars and enthusiasts are out there, someone just needs to create that initial focal point...

...also, any widely-publicised exotic event needs to have a viable mechanism to avoid being overrun by the fast-and-furious set, which i understand has been a chronic problem in the past...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Right on target

Green Ghost,

I think m is right on target. We need a catalyst to get something started. Let me know if you want to discuss. I would be willing to help.

fastfred

·
Registered
17 Posts
+1. I've had the idea floating around for a while. I just haven't seen any initiative taken to get a true cars and coffee event rolling here. From seeing threads of pictures, I've seen cars and coffee shows popping up all over the states with successful turnouts. I don't see why one here would be any exception. I'll confirm that the cars and enthusiasts are most certainly out there.

...m... is right on track with the idea.

Let me know if there is anything I could do to help get something started.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...i don't think it even needs to be a specifically-affiliated cars and coffee event; any sort of a local-community-based exotic/sportscar gathering i think could thrive here...the branded cars-and-coffee event has the benefit of nationally-established marketability and organisational assistance, but its dynamic format is also a lot more work and requires much more manpower than a simple cruise-in similar to biff buzby's classic/muscle gathering, which by example already demonstrates a popular and viable format...

...so - who wants to volunteer to take the lead on getting this started?..i'd be happy to help get the word out amongst the other local clubs for a planning session; just give a good week's notice so it has time to trickle out amongst interested parties...

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
You moved from the OC to San Antonio amigo?

Just thinking out loud….:mw:

Any thought on a good place to have a Cars and Coffee in San Antonio, and what interest in a C&C there may be?

I really liked going to the C&C in Irvine and was thinking why not do something here. I’m new to living here so I’m a little out of my environment until I figure my way around.
May God help you! :eek:

Taco Taco close to Trinity University. They close everyday at 2:30 though.

:shift:

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Top Gear Tuesdays

...i met with the manager of the lion and rose pub on stone oak this afternoon, and it sounds like the notion of a monthly/weekly exotic cruise-in could be quite viable at that location...

...my original idea was for top gear tuesday either weekly or the second tuesday of each month, which could make an easy draw for more attendance, although i'm not sure how to reconcile parking lot action against a reserved room inside running video...weeknights would probably be best for something like this, since there's often a lot going on weekends, and mornings conflict with a popular breakfast restaurant at the same location...

...their manager tells me that monday and wednesday nights are by far their quietest, so we'd probably have the easiest time reserving parking then, but i really need to check it out this week to compare tuesdays as well...their private room only carries a minimum business fee on friday nights, when they're at their busiest, but apparently weekends in general can really fill up, even unpredictably in the afternoons depending upon college football crowds...

...thoughts, suggestions, alternatives?..

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...a few thoughts...

...one way to reconcile video offering something-to-do in the background amongst potentially static parking lot action is to actually take the video into the parking lot - at least for an evening event, it wouldn't be prohibitively difficult to set up a display or projection screen amongst the cars, although i'm not sure if we need concern ourselves with the legal implications of any such public exhibition (of domestically-unavailable BBC material, no less, hooray bittorrent)...

...austin debuted their eurosunday event this month, another franchised alternative to cars and coffee, and there's nothing to say a weekend morning event mightn't remain our best option, or even an additional alternative to a weeknight top gear gathering...my church of the three sisters experience indicates that early mornings really only draw the most hardcore attendees, and which leaves us with late mornings, which unfortunately tend to be hot around here...

...earlier this year i investigated routes for a late-morning cruise-in and brief leisurely drive based out of olmos park, the great feature of which is plenty of nicely-shaded parking available...the only real drawback to that location is that there's nothing else to do there, which is great for keeping focus on the cars, but magnifies the greatest potential issue i've encountered at all the monthly cruise-ins i've visited in the region - namely, "okay, i'm here, now what?"...a little bit of distraction is a good thing to give the event focus, be it drinks and snacks, entertainment, shopping, whatever...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.