The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody in MN (or western WI) have a shop they trust to work on their Lotus?

For me it's not just about mechanical competence, but respect for the car. I can't tell you how many times I've seen mechanics at reputable shops set metal objects on the roof of the car or accidentally tear interior components and then pretend they received the car that way... :mad:

If you're curious, the work I'm looking for is to install some BOE toe links. This is the kit that requires drilling into the crossmember. I've reluctantly decided I'm not up to the task myself.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, purely for the sake of posterity, I'll say I went with Eurocharged Minneapolis and really got lucky. Everything from price to respect for the car were ideal.

·
`08 Elise-SC-220
519 Posts
I hesitated to mention Lotus of Minneapolis because a member trying to contact them got transferred somewhere else. I tried calling their number just now and they answer "Jaguar - Land Rover" but say they still service Lotus when I asked. 499 Mainstreet Hopkins, MN 55363 - Service (763) 222-2200

·
Happy To Be Here
2013 Lotus Evora IPS - Carbon Gray
859 Posts
I didn’t have a great experience with Lotus of Minneapolis. I live 6 hours north of Minneapolis and I had a scheduled appointment. They informed me that the technician wouldn’t be in during my appointment only one hour prior, so I had already driven 5 hours before I got that news. So all I tried to have done was an oil change and an alignment. The alignment didn’t go well once I asked for the print out. They claimed all they could adjust was toe and all other dimensions were in the red. I told them that’s incorrect and they said that’s all they could do and they still charged me $180 to not fully align the car. I won’t be going back unless I’m desperate.

I am going to be making a week long trip to go see TJ at the Nuccio Service Center in IL for some transmission work. I’ll be getting tires swapped and the car aligned at a company called Big Bear Tire in Oconomowoc, WI. Both of these shops do great work, even though they are very far from me up in Warroad, MN.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I didn’t have a great experience with Lotus of Minneapolis. I live 6 hours north of Minneapolis and I had a scheduled appointment. They informed me that the technician wouldn’t be in during my appointment only one hour prior, so I had already driven 5 hours before I got that news. So all I tried to have done was an oil change and an alignment. The alignment didn’t go well once I asked for the print out. They claimed all they could adjust was toe and all other dimensions were in the red. I told them that’s incorrect and they said that’s all they could do and they still charged me $180 to not fully align the car. I won’t be going back unless I’m desperate.

I am going to be making a week long trip to go see TJ at the Nuccio Service Center in IL for some transmission work. I’ll be getting tires swapped and the car aligned at a company called Big Bear Tire in Oconomowoc, WI. Both of these shops do great work, even though they are very far from me up in Warroad, MN.
thats tough to hear Mike... there's gotta be a shop somewhere in MN that is reputable with sports cars, even if it comes at a premium right? even at a recommendation from other car communities (IE, where do the guys from rennlist or 6speedonline go in MN??)

obviously TJ being back in the Chicago is great for our area & big bear (lake country as well) are basically the most reputable alignment/tire shops in all of WI (I take my Elise to big bear as well & they are fantastic to work with)

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Big Bear just did my exige. Great work. Lotus experience. Too bad it's such a drive for you now.

Reactions: ShadowWulf369

·
Happy To Be Here
2013 Lotus Evora IPS - Carbon Gray
859 Posts
Big Bear does do great work. The paint on my black set of wheels is really bad (as in it doesn’t stick where they were resprayed) and I let Big Bear know before the appointment. They did their best with putting the tires on without damage and the thing that happened was the plastic cone that secured the wheel while balancing deformed the paint where it contacted just due to the clamping force. They were very upfront about it but this was a fault of the bad paint that I already knew about. I’m just glad that they were so honest and upfront when something happened, rather than trying to cover damage up. They really are great at what they do. I just really need to repaint my wheels but I’m lazy haha.

I never got to see TJ with my car because he cancelled my appointment. I’m not sure of the full story there, but I hope it works out in the end for Bill Nuccio and for TJ. Jon at Glenview Luxury Imports was able to get me in to look after my Evora. I had my TEK installed and the car is running as good as new. While there, I got to feast my eyes on some of the new Evora GTs that they have for sale. They are impressive to say the least. Good guys over at Glenview and I’ll put them on my list of really good, trusted Lotus shops. But again, it does stink they they are so far away, for now...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts