The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many of us have scoured the motoring comics looking for info on the Elise.

Motor Trend aug 04 has an editorial on EDRs or event data recorders that are little box recorders, hooked up to the car's nervous system. Info regarding speed, braking, engine speed etc are recorded on these units.

They are becoming prevalent, yet most consumers are oblivious to their presence.

I'm concerned that they will be used for denial of warranty service on enthusiastically driven or tracked cars, especially as Those of us lucky enough to own the earliest examples are not going to be free from teething problems.

Will the Elise be carrying these units?

M.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Not aware of one for crash events. However, the ECU does record time spent in RPM and Throttle Ranges, and peak RPM and speed maybe. So yes it could be used to deny warranty work.

Greg

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
This is the second post I've seen about this in the last week (saw one on another board). I didn't see mention of their use for (warranty DoS (;) lol geek humor), but instead for insurance companies to figure out what happened in an accident.

·
Registered
223 Posts
They can tell by the ECU if you have trashed your engine during the running-in and it could cancel the warranty. It's written in the S2(Rover) manual:)

·
Registered
591 Posts
I forgot about it recording standing starts. That is where the car starts from 0 mph and the the RPMs never fall below a certain threshold (4000rpm?).

Computers are just getting too sophisticated. One reason not to have an integrated Navigation system. They can hold all the evidence of transgressions against speed limits, they car record high G actions. If you where to have one on that records a trip and aloows you to play back through it, and you happen to do a Drivers Education event. You may have voided parts of your warranty when might not have otherwise because it just became a timed event! And you have recorded the evidence.

There are legal precedences being set about who owns the data on these black boxes. Companies are taking steps to ensure data cannot easily be erased. IF something happens the information can be subpoenaed, if you have erased it, may be you are guilty of tampering with evidence!

These systems are a double edged sword.

Greg

·
Registered
495 Posts
I can tell you first hand that this type of info is used to deny warranty

The other issue with newer engines is the difficulty in having the car serviced anyplace other than the dealer, and therefore at whatever price they set.

Between all the red light cameras, forthcoming speed cameras, computerized data recorders -- what's the point of having a performance car for the street? Bragging rights and prestige -- that's about it. I couldn't care less about either

So track days are going to get a lot more popular, limited by the fact that they void warranties

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
The speed cameras have been proven to NOT reduce motorway deaths in any way, so if they are adopted it will be to provide local governments with additional revenue only.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
_JD_ said:
The speed cameras have been proven to NOT reduce motorway deaths in any way, so if they are adopted it will be to provide local governments with additional revenue only.
I was told that they put some up in various parts of South Florida, but I thought it was only to monitor traffic. If they start using them to issue traffic tickets, it will only be a matter of time before people take out their bb guns and shoot them out.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
xxxotic said:
I was told that they put some up in various parts of South Florida, but I thought it was only to monitor traffic. If they start using them to issue traffic tickets, it will only be a matter of time before people take out their bb guns and shoot them out.
Have you seen them? They scoff at your BB gun. The ones around here are literally bulletproof. There's a story/legend of someone speeding, coming back with a rifle to 'clear the record' and the blast triggering the camera. The resulting picture showed the dude, his gun, and his truck parked behind him with the plates clearly readable.

The few destructive efforts that worked usually involve dark of night, a truck, and a chain.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts