The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
"A Tale of Two Powerbands"..(4k-8kRPM vs.0k-4k RPM), my REV400 at home & abroad...

I was not going to do yet another insipid thread on the REV installed on my street car now that I've been home for a week. But, after my pilgrimage to BOE, and my safe return on our Interstate highway system,I've finally been able to drive the car on the roads that are familiar to me, so I can offer a semi accurate comparison pre/post install by BOE. Subjective, seat of the pants.

I've gotta tell you, despite all the fun I had on the ride back - exploring the furious acceleration in the upper 4k of the power band, now that I'm home - I'm using the lower 4k of the band around town. This is new..

A few things have become apparent. The Koldfire tune has some very nice properties to it.
1. The engine runs smoothly when cold, and can be driven immediately, no bucking when cold.
2. Even though the supercharger doesn't kick in until 3500 RPM, there seems to be noticeably more torque available at 2700-2800RPM (and up), than there was with the stock tune. I don't think I am imagining this.
3. There is no longer any need to wait the "6 seconds" (or however long) for the injectors to prime before starting the engine. You turn the ignition and push the button. I figure that is due to the surge tank being immediately switched on and the fuel pressure regulator is primed, (the needle on the pressure gauge in the engine bay slams up to "40"psi?) ready to go at turn on.
4. The car, on the roads I know, feels more solid. I don't know if the new toe links would have anything to do with this (i'm starting to believe they might), and the new clutch, plus the shifter reinforcement have made the car feel much more unified. I also have a feeling that the Star Specs (put on the day before departure to Kansas) have also contributed to an undeniable increase in comfort (touring tires Tim? :)) Maybe the 4 wheel alignment at BOE (as a result of the toe link install) also figures into this "tight feel".
5. The car always felt great on the back roads I'm talking about. Now, the car feels invinciible on these roads...(Danger Will Robinson!) Feels like hi-performance - from the factory.

I did manage to do some stupid things along the way- smack the license plate/nose area entering a coffee shop parking lot in Springfield, Ohio - resulting in a small crack on the lower front grill support area. Last night I blew up the ctek battery tender by leaving it plugged in & charging, while reprogramming the immobilizer and running the unswitched intercooler fans. But that's about it. Everything bad or dumb that happened in the adventture has been my fault.

And we're fixing the small crack on the nose this weekend. And I just ordered a CTEK 7200. I love a happy ending. Happy & safe summer my brothers & sisters in Lotus Land.

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
I put this in your other post but it is worth repeating. The wealth of information and knowledge you have gained over the past few weeks is exponential! Glad all worked out and look forward to seeing your education grow! Great job!!!!

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks - I'm shooting for clutch/brake fluid replacement next week, I 'll have all the stuff by then. Been reading up on it. Mostly worried about getting brake fluid on the car.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts