The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I was at the dealer a few weeks ago, and one of the fellas there mentioned that some of the hopefuls have bailed and gone on to purchase other cars. Folks have stopped by to show off their new rides, looking for affirmation of 'I did the right thing, right?'.

I laughed and completely understood.

Today, I was behind a beautiful 996, a red C4S with the Porsche sport exhaust. It looked hotter than hot, and when he got on it, it sounded stellar. Sex on wheels.

Suddenly, projecting myself as the owner of the C4S, I found myself immediately thinking that I'd have to swing by the dealer with a shiny new Pcar while explaining myself.

Am I the only one, or is the wait killing you guys. . . to the point that other rides are on the verge of pulling cash out of your wallet?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Yup... a 2004 Audi S4 Avant is kind-of tugging at me right now. I'm finding ways to "justify" replacing my current daily driver (a 1997 Audi A4 with 162K miles on it, but it still runs flawlessly.)

Bob

·
shay2nak
24,910 Posts
originally posted by rtking
a 1997 Audi A4 with 162K miles on it, but it still runs flawlessly.
hi bob,
wow, you have 162k on a '97 car. that's crazy! do you work out of state or something? :D
ara

·
Registered
495 Posts
Am I the only one, or is the wait killing you guys. . . to the point that other rides are on the verge of pulling cash out of your wallet?
It's an everyday battle for me

Not sure I'll make it. I know others have waited much longer (I'm approaching one year on the list), but I'm growing weary. I will wait for a test drive in the demo to decide, however. So far, the Elise has always managed to bring me back, just as I think the love affair is over.

·
Registered
241 Posts
We have a 2001 Audi S4 Avant and we love it. Nothing quite like seeing the faces of the kid in the Mustang / Camaro / WRX who just got smoked by a wagon. Plus it is the only car we have that is COMPLETELY stock. It's nice to have a car that is (relatively) cushy and quiet...

I drove a 2004 (V8) and it is nice, but is missing the sweet top end of the older V6 twin turbo model we have. Low end torque is nice on the new one, yet the ride is a little more jittery kinda like the new M3s.

Nice to hear they last a while!

Ara

·
Registered
178 Posts
what else?

What else is there like the Elise? Nothing. Nothing else even vaguely interests me. I know there aren't a lot of us purists and that's why everyone on a waiting list or who cannot afford a new Elise should just be a little patient. There will be many for sale or others dropping off lists because they didn't want one for what it's intended. Waiting for an ordered car to arrive is much better than hoping some day the Elise would come to America.

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
If Lotus announced today that the Elise wasn't coming to America afer all, I wouldn't cry or run to another dealer. I'd be very happy with my 6 year old, nicely modded Miata. I'd just add a BRP supercharger doubling the horsepower and head for the mountain roads with a smile on my face...

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
I have couple of times thought about a nice low mileage M100 Elan. But being in the #1 customer position at my dealer has been a comfort. I'm a huge Audi fan too and if pushed away from the Elise for whatever reason would consider a S4 Cab or TT 3.2.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I would just invest my car fund. Nothing else really moves me the same way as the Liz, except the Noble and warranty work would be difficult on that.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
I've waited for years as it is. I have absolutely no inclination to settle for something else. However, if the Elise suddenly was not coming, I'd go the Sun Motorsports route and import my own, getting the Vtec engine installed. That would be around 55K-60K to do, which isn't a lot more than what we're talking now. And I could get an older model, perhaps an S2.

·
Registered
739 Posts
My 225TT Roadster goes back at the end of May... and my dealer keeps throwing the keys of various Boxsterii at me. It's killing me....

Boxster S Sir? Oh yes, that'd fit the bill sir. Mmmm, you do look good in it sir. Goes doesn't she sir!!!! Nice ride Sir? Feel Tight Sir? Oh yes, she does Sir....

I tell ya, if Lotus screw this up more than they already have I'll be working on my TchGerman accent. The Boxster is still a beautiful car - especially in S guise.

Meanwhile (and I think this would be an amusing thread)... I'm gonna be driving an '01 Chevy Tracker!!!! Saving grace is it has no roof!

Now that's dedication for ya. My missus does let me drive her V8 Touareg occasionally. I tell ya - that is one monster truck.

:cool:

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Surferjer said:
I've waited for years as it is. I have absolutely no inclination to settle for something else. However, if the Elise suddenly was not coming, I'd go the Sun Motorsports route and import my own, getting the Vtec engine installed. That would be around 55K-60K to do, which isn't a lot more than what we're talking now. And I could get an older model, perhaps an S2.
That was my original plan about 3.5 years ago. I guess I would go back to it. Or... maybe a kit car. Something nuts.

Really, the draw to the federal Elise was that it would simpler, easier, cheaper than going the importing or kit car route.

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
>> "if Lotus screw this up more than they already have" <<

screwed what up?? things seem to be going straight from my perspective

·
Registered
739 Posts
Where have you been?!!?!?!?!

Deliveries are later than they said, likely to be be unrealistically slow, everybody is kept in the dark - even those who need VINs, they just unceremonially sacked their CEO, they abolished their own forum, their website is a joke... need I go on!

The biggest issue is that they seem to feel customers are an annoyance - dealers too!

It need not be this way.

:confused:

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
The only things I can think of that I would buy if I were to bail out on the Elise are the T-Rex or a Caterham. Either that or I'd try to find a used S1 Exige and buy it as a track car.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I don't think that Lotus has failed. They just haven't lived up to other's hyped up expectations. They have pretty much done (and are doing) what they have said they would. They never claimed that things would be "better" than they are now.

As for any other car?

I've been waiting 8 years to add an Elise to my "stable". I haven't even considered any other car, and I'm still not interested in anything else.

Tim Mullen

1 - 20 of 40 Posts