The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone ask the Lotus folks:

How exactly do the baseline AD07s compare to the A048LTS that come with the sports package?

And will the A048LTS be available as an aftermarket option? In fact, will either tire be produced in a wide range of sizes?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
The A048 is a cut slick in basic terms. The tire can't handle standing water very well and I certainly wouldn't use it if you live where it gets cold and/or snows.

The A048 currently doesn't come in the stock sizes for the Elise. If you bought the sport wheels (that they indicate they are NOT selling seperately) then you could buy these tires through Lotus. Currently that's the only place you can get them.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
So....I opted for the sport suspension.

You cant get these tires anywhere but Lotus? Does this mean I'll have to order tires from the Dealership? How much will that cost!

Im used to order race tires and pricey tires at a Discount from Tire Rack or Discount Tire.

Does any other manufacturer make tires in the correct size for the LSS wheels? Or are they that weird..I havent even looked.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Currently you can only order the "LTS" marked A048s from LUSA here in the States.

They aren't that expensive (relatively) - I'm not sure of the exact pricing since I have ordered two sets and each have come as a "package" deal from Clyde with other parts. I would throw a guess out at $900-$1000 for a set of four.

Don't know who makes tires in these sizes - I would guess the rears would be easy to find, but the fronts you may be more limited. Please keep in mind that when Lotus tuned the suspension they did so with these tires in mind - so other tires could add some strange handling traits to the car.

·
Forum Founder
29,080 Posts
According to Lotus, they do not want to sell the LSS tires to people without the full LSS option as it makes the car behave strangely.

I am sure there are some other tire options, specially if you use the elisetalk tirerack banner to find them... :)

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
(1) So are the two different tire types of the same compound but merely differ in tread pattern, or are they also of different compounds?

(2) Will the baseline tires (which I'll be getting) also only be available through the dealer network, or will Tirerack eventually get them?

Thanks to anyone who can relay these questions to Lotus (or Yoko?)...!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Could someone talk to the lotus guys at the show and ask about true race tires and what they suggest for full slicks? I don't see anything in the sizes the lotus uses at this point, and while the a048s might be great tires, I somehow doubt they are true R compound class tires.

Also, I have used the a038s before but... To say they were loud dosent even come close to reality. My guess is in my 3rd gen rx7 they were about 100-101db in a loud hum while driving. Much louder than the straight through exhaust. Really cool in the rain though since they left this really tall roostertail following behind :D. The sound on the otherhand was over the top. The 5 hour drive to VIR was NOT fun.

Scot

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
JonM3Coupe said:
(1) So are the two different tire types of the same compound but merely differ in tread pattern, or are they also of different compounds?
Both the compound and the tread differ between the A048 track tire and Neova AD07 road tire.

The normal road tires are probably quite a bit more durable (milage wise) than the A048's..

(2) Will the baseline tires (which I'll be getting) also only be available through the dealer network, or will Tirerack eventually get them?
It can go both ways...

If the Euro S2 experience is anything to go by then you can (at a certain point) get the right tires from other sources, but initially they will be Lotus-Dealer supplied only too.

I suspect that even the rear AD07 road tires are quite specific to the Elise even though the basic size is quite common.

The Euro-Elise uses Bridgestone RE040's, but the rear ones also require a very specific DOT code on the tire to determine the proper construction and compound.

There are for instance at least 4 different 225/45R17 Bridgestone RE040's and only 1 for the Elise.

On the other hand... For the S1 Elise Lotus now sells a specific set of Yokohama AD05/06 road tires with 'LTS' specification. These specific tires are not available outside Lotus dealers (or only in very limited quantities).

As the Fed-Elise also uses Yokohama tires they may well have the same 'exclusivity' deal and won't sell these outside the Lotus dealer system.

Only time will tell...

BTW.. There simply are no other 175/55R16 tires out there, except for the euro Bridgestone RE040's and now the Federal Yoko AD07's..

Bye, Arno.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts