The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should I be concerned if I buy a used Elise that has about 500 miles on it of track time? Can the engine handle repeated high revs and hitting the rev limiter many times? How about the transmission?
Really appreciate any imput....
Thanks!!!

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Should I be concerned if I buy a used Elise that has about 500 miles on it of track time? Can the engine handle repeated high revs and hitting the rev limiter many times? How about the transmission?
Thanks!!!
Basically, after looking at an ECU dump, and it it shows nothing conspicuous, you shouldn't be too concerned.

Yes, the engine can handle getting to 8500 rpm and hitting the rev limiter, just be sure there aren't any 8600+ rpm's, from bad downshifts.

·
Registered
430 Posts
At a bare minimum, I'd do as chapster5 suggests. However, if I were in your position, I'd wait for the "right one" to pop up.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Most of the people that track their car also take very good care of their car.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Couldn't agree more. Most of the folks I know whom track their cars, take VERY good care as the car goes thru many inspections before and after track days--also, things are constantly getting loose in these cars so track cars typically get every bolt tighten that needs tightening. On the other hand, I know people who garage queen their cars but hammer it out on the canyons and NEVER bother to tighten or inspect things on the car. Regarding engine, they can take a lickin' and still keep on tickin'

If the price is that good and you really like it, take it to the nearest Lotus dealer and get their opinion on it with an ECU dump to go with it. Good luck

·
Registered
787 Posts
An ecu dump is not really that informative. If someone downshifts too early it is going to show an over rev condition. That doesn't mean that the engine has actually been abused, they could have just missed a shift. What is even more important is the regular maintenance of the car.

The Toyota engine is quite durable. Like any engine it needs good maintenance (oil changes, filters, fresh spark plugs and proper coolant levels) to last a long time.

I had a Chevy pickup with a 454 cu. in. engine back in the 70's that I pulled a 32 foot 16,000 # 5th wheel with all over the country, including through the mountains, Death Valley and Montana snows. I got 95,000 miles of the engine before a rebuild. I did oil changes with filters every 2,500 miles, annually changed the transmission fluid and filter and changed the oil in the differential.

It's all about preventative maintenance!;)

·
Premium Member
1,899 Posts
Track Use

I track my car extensively.......and it goes to the dealer after every session to inspect and adjust. I would bet I have had more pro-active maintenance on my car (in 12,000 miles) than most that are daily drivers or garage queens. Very frequent oil and filter changes, repair ANYTHING that even looks worn. Most of the people I know that track their cars take very very good care of them. You can typically tell by looking at the car and talking to the owner. As mentioned before, get an ECU dump just to confirm.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Maybe on Neptune! -poke-

He said 500 miles. :thwack:
Oops 500 miles that's what I ment to write :wallbang: Stoopid head telling my hands one thing and making them type another

I average about 100 miles per day when I track my cars.
4 x 25 minute sessions usually.
200 per weekend

Hence 500 miles = about 5 track days 2 and 1/2 weekends.

I bet the car is not even broken in yet!!!

·
Registered
263 Posts
+1

i'd venture to go as far as to say they most likely take better care of their car then the average joe.

·
Premium Member
4,581 Posts
I track my car quite a bit, and I'd like to say that my car is very well taken care of.

However! If I were a buyer and I were not going to track the car, I would not buy a tracked car...that is just me.

I've had all sorts of "issues" that have happened to my car due to tracking....it comes with the territory because you are pushing the car to its limits. As mentioned, things get loose and things get stressed....therefore things break down.

Again, this is just my opinion through my experience.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Not trying to torpedo anybody's sales, but I'm with Twerthi on this one: wait for a car that hasn't seen the track. While there's no guarantee that it hasn't been abused on the street, the track is a very tough environment for a car. Be patient and you'll find a nice Elise at the right price - they're out there.

·
Registered
7,477 Posts
Thanks!!!
Would you marry Jenna Jamison?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts