The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do a048's heat cycle during normal street driving?
I've never tracked my Elise. The rear a048's need replacement, but the front a048's have plenty of tread depth after approx. 10,000.
It would be a shame to discard two good front a048's.
I would like to replace the rears, but leave the front tires be.
I know it is advisable to replace both at the same time due to possible understeer/oversteer problems caused by differently worn tires.

Will the car drastically understeer if I replace the rears, but not the fronts?
-Robert

·
Registered
468 Posts
Yoko

I have run the A048s. At the track they had some Yokohama tech guys and they suggested that you will get 6 heat cycles on the A048s. They defined a heat cycle as one day at the track (five 20 minute sessions). The heat cycle is caused by the oils in the tire going to the surface and rubbing off.

IMO and as I understand there are several factors involving loss of oils in the tire. Heating the tire, sunlight and age. In some parts of the country street driving on ashpalt may mean some pretty hot temps (as in the desert). Some guys will have a "spirited" street drive in the mountains. I used to live in the mountains and didn't really like those guys racing infront of the house.

So, I imagine you could heat cycle at tire on the street but you would have to be in a very hot climate or street racing.

have fun

Nick

1 - 2 of 2 Posts