The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I do use my Exige to 'commute' 60 miles to work a lot.

Thus I have almost 10k miles on my original set of A048's.
Rears are to the bars now, but fronts are not. 1 track day, many weekend runs in the twisties. Purchased new May 06. Tires are 2 years old.

Question is, Just replace the rears, or are the fronts heat cycled, hardened out. Don't want to get even more understeer by putting on fresh rears, with hardened fronts.

Need advice/experiences...
Cheers,
Skottoman

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I can't believe you even got 10k out of A048s, I thought those things were good for like 5,000 max.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
+1

I've been able to get almost 6,000 miles on the rears, with (so far, please excuse me) no track/autox days, and many freeway miles.

Time for four new 048's for me...

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Now would be a good time to consider R888s, which are considerably cheaper too.
:)

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
just an FYI.
last time out at willow, a guy showed up with a FF car who planned on racing with us that weekend. he didnt want to spend the $ on tires, and his were beyond dead.
long story short, he did the practice session on saturday, and then about 5 minutes into qualifying, he went into the dirt in the exit of turn 2.
in the pits he was pulling out rock the size of a fist from his car. the damage was done, his radiator was shot. packed up and went home.
drive to the race track was a waste, now needed to replace what was a good radiator, and also needs new tires.
new tires would have prevented the off track excursion(IMO), and prevented the waste of time and money for traveling for nothing and fixing a radiator that was just fine before the wreck.
skimping on tires is a false economy

·
Registered
7,088 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yah, I was thinking the fronts are too old as well...
It's prob worth it to spring for 4 new tires, get my Lotus back to 'new' handling condition...
I already think the car understeers as is...

I attribute 10k miles on my rear tires to the commute...

Thought about R888's... as long as they are stock size and fit well.
Cheers,
Skottoman

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'd do all 4, The front are heat cycled out. It will push badly - Rob.
Ah, just saw that... Rob, I will be needing to call you soon...
Cheers,
Skottoman

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Yah, I was thinking the fronts are too old as well...
It's prob worth it to spring for 4 new tires, get my Lotus back to 'new' handling condition...
I already think the car understeers as is...

I attribute 10k miles on my rear tires to the commute...

Thought about R888's... as long as they are stock size and fit well.
Cheers,
Skottoman
Have you taken your shims out?

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
If you aren't tracking or autocrossing the car much, get different tires. I have 7300 miles or so on my AD07s and they aren't near done.

If you want to save some money, get a set of touring wheels with better street tires. I bought some used LSS wheels with these tires:

Front size is BFG KDWII 205/40ZR/16
Rear size is BFG KDWII 235/40ZR/17

They are excellent in rain.

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
I daily drive mine an I can only get about 8K out of street tires. AD07's and T1R's. Now I'm on Goodyear F1's.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I have 10k on my Khumo ASX (almost all highway) and they still look new. I bet I get 35k on rears and 50k on fronts.

·
Puff Daddy
3,872 Posts
R888s are awesome in cold weather and the wet as well :p Something to consider since you commute with the car.
There was a warning on mine from Toyo saying not to expose the tire to any temperatures below 32 degrees F (0 C). I think the Yokohamas are good to about 20 degrees F. Not that it matters in AZ... but I just thought I'd pass that along.

I'm getting the R888 mounted tomorrow. I'm excited :coolnana:

1 - 20 of 56 Posts