The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize if I sound like an idiot in advance :)

Ok, I have an 06 Elise, but where I live there is NOTHING even similar to this car. People drive stock fords and old junk cars here, so I am not familiar with driving a car of this magnitude.

I have had other manual shift cars, but this one is different. I am wondering what kind of shifting you guys do. Like what is the redline for these cars and when you just take off normally and drive about town, when do you shift and what rpm do you wait for?

I normally just shift off of the sound of a car, but this car has a much different sound than any normal car I have been in, so I fear that I am shifting to early. I am not ragging it and abusing it by any means but I just want to make sure I am treating it right.

Thank you for any help / pointers you can give.

I have been keeping it generally around 1 gear for ever 10mph, like if I am going 30mph then I am in 3rd gear, 40mph in 4th gear etc. Until I get to 5th then I will just stay there and not hit 6th (haven't gone over 75 mph yet). I just dont think this is right for some reason.

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
For regular, around town driving, think about what gear you guess you should be in, and be one gear lower than that. For fun driving, be two gears lower.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,689 Posts
( or ) you could change to an automatic trans ! rotfl

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Your car has a tachometer, your rev limiter 8000, with 2second bursts allowed to 8500.

Your car will not explode if you hit the rev limiter.

Drive it like a Toyota Celica with significant weight reduction.

·
hate speed limits
714 Posts
I'm glad someone was brave enough to start this thread. Yes, it's very easy to tell in other vehicles what gear you should be in. And someone PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong, but I always figured the lower the RPMs (higher gear) the better gas mileage--assuming you don't have the gas floored in fifth gear doing 30 or whatever speed (less throttle = better mpg?)

Now with my Elise... I've discovered on a flat surface it doesn't require any gas to get started, just let off the clutch while in first gear. She will drive along at a slow speed but will not die. Then I can put it into 2nd and she'll go faster, all without pressing on the gas & without struggling/dieing.

4th gear is my favorite (unless someone corrects me) because I can use it at speeds as low as 40mph or flying down the highway.

Am I going to damage my Lotus driving this way? Unlike my previous cars, I overly baby every shift in my Elise & ensure that I never give too much gas with the clutch even slightly pressed down.

Anyways, please someone school me here because this doesn't sound right.

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
I'm glad someone was brave enough to start this thread. Yes, it's very easy to tell in other vehicles what gear you should be in. And someone PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong, but I always figured the lower the RPMs (higher gear) the better gas mileage--assuming you don't have the gas floored in fifth gear doing 30 or whatever speed (less throttle = better mpg?)

Now with my Elise... I've discovered on a flat surface it doesn't require any gas to get started, just let off the clutch while in first gear. She will drive along at a slow speed but will not die. Then I can put it into 2nd and she'll go faster, all without pressing on the gas & without struggling/dieing.

4th gear is my favorite (unless someone corrects me) because I can use it at speeds as low as 40mph or flying down the highway.

Am I going to damage my Lotus driving this way? Unlike my previous cars, I overly baby every shift in my Elise & ensure that I never give too much gas with the clutch even slightly pressed down.

Anyways, please someone school me here because this doesn't sound right.

I would suggest engaging 1st gear properly and not just releasing the clutch. I'm surprised you don't stall doing that... but I think an Elise is hard to stall given the short ratio 1st gear.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
If you are trying to be smooth, then shift at a point where yo u can smoothly get into the next gear... There is no magical numbers for every situation... You want to memorize a table?

If you want to go fast, then shift at or near redline every time.

I don't shift out of first until I am through an intersection (in any car). Most engines are flexible enough to be able to rev high enough to get through. That way you aren't suddenly lurching in the middle of a turn.

For best gas mileage you can use lower gears more often than most people think... If the revs are high, but the throttle position and engine load are low, then you aren't using much gas to move or accelerate. If you lug the car around in the tallest gears all the time, then it'll take more throttle and higher engine loads to get moving and accelerate = more gas. Lotus actually did a study and found this was true. If you are cruising and won't need to accelerate, then use the tallest gear where you don't need to press the throttle pedal much.

·
Premium Member
12,140 Posts
vg said lots of good suff.

but, don't lug the engine <2000 rpm w/any load; you will feel it

Wait 10 minutes after operating temp reached before using cam change

Shift up or down so there is no "clunk" or buck.....i.e. smoothly. Better for your clutch, diff, driveline, etc and better for passengers.

this takes a bit of coordination between throttle and clutch, but pays off.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
If you're using the 10mph/gear formula, you're in too high a gear. You should probably hang around 4000 RPM when cruising around.
I rarely hit 4k while daily driving. I eek out 30 mpg keeping engine speed between 2500 and 3500.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I just shift when I see the red light... isn't that how you're supposed to do it?

·
Registered
32 Posts
...it's very easy to tell in other vehicles what gear you should be in...
Am I going to damage my Lotus driving this way?...
Christ almight guys, you're driving a Toyota Celica, this is not a race car motor and even if it were, it's a road car sold to the general public -- which means it is largely idiot proof!!

·
Premium Member
7,522 Posts
:thwack:That mechanic was probably like 80yrs old and drove in the days before synchros were in existence. Its called heel n'toe double clutching and I routinely shift from 6th to 2nd or 3rd if the need arises (remember that little devil on the shoulder)
Here's my take. Driving around locally there is really no need for 2nd cam unless you feel like having some fun. Seriously! That's what I love so much about the naturally aspirated motor. Its like having two completely different personalities in 1 car. Its mellow, smooth, and highly efficient as my daily driving deals with a 1000ft of elevation change daily and I still average 27-28mpg, yet when the little devil on my left shoulder decides to play and the upshifts occur near fuel cutoff in 1st and 2nd to stay on cam in next gear, then at ~8000 from 3rd on up as the 2nd cam is easier to stay on, the car has all the prime qualities of an exotic car.
That SD guy might as well be driving an old Bel Air the way he trickles off the line. That's ridiculous and unnecessary. On the other hand, there is no need to drive thru town at 40mph in 2nd just to sound cool as that's a bit childish. I'd avoid dipping too deep into the gas in 5th and 6th gear below 2000rpm as the motor really doesn't like that too much although because car is so light, it takes little torque to move it. Save that for stealth mode.
Bottom line, the motor is relatively bulletproof whether you flog it relentlessly or lug around. If you want to lug around , buy an old Camaro. Because I have the stage 2 exhaust, and tend to not want to drive around town like some look at me ricer ******* type, I stay in 3rd and 4rth gear at 30mph as much as possible to keep the noise respectful. The little pops and gurgles at low rpms are cool sounding in their own right without being obnoxious. (Yes there are those occasional times that I miss my turbo xcess turbo back exhaust on my STi but I digress).
:cool:In the long run, the car is so cool to look at, you don't need to bring attention to yourself, unless you're in CA and you're the cheap little Lotus surrounded by Ferrarris, Lambos, Bentley, Astons, Maseratis etc. Back here in the east, except in maybe Greenwich, those are rare sightings, which makes them all that much more special. Have fun driving! Be mature! Go to a track to get your jollies as that's what the car was really built for!!!!!!!!!!!:coolnana:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Yep, I follow the blue arrows almost exactly when driving on the commute an around town. Occasional fun on-ramp or corner will get the full beans throttle and near-redline shift, but otherwise just running errands and such trying to keep the mpg decent and the wear on the drivetrain minimized.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Typical RPM Ranges and Shift Points

...these are all just rough approximations; i mix and match depending on circumstances and skip gears with reckless impunity...

Leisurely (2500 - 4500 RPM)
Downshift Point 2500-3000 RPM
Upshift Point 4000-4500 RPM
Gear - Down / Up
1st - NA / 20 MPH
2nd - 20 MPH / 35 MPH
3rd - 25 MPH / 45 MPH
4th - skip / skip
5th - 45 MPH / 70 MPH
6th - 60 MPH / NA

Cold, Spirited (4000-6000 RPM)
Downshift Point 4000-4500 RPM
Upshift Point 5500-6000 RPM
Gear - Down / Up
1st - NA / 30 MPH
2nd - 30 MPH / 45 MPH
3rd - 45 MPH / 65 MPH
4th - 65 MPH / 80 MPH
5th - 80 MPH / 105 MPH
6th - 105 MPH / NA

Warm, Hard (6500-8500 RPM)
Downshift Point 5500-6500 RPM
Upshift Point 8000-8500 RPM
Gear - Down / Up
1st - NA / 40 MPH
2nd - 40 MPH / 65 MPH
3rd - 60 MPH / 90 MPH
4th - 85 MPH / 115 MPH
5th - 110 MPH / 145 MPH
6th - 140 MPH / NA

·
Registered
111 Posts
There it is at the previous answers, but it´s not called heel and toe technics, that´s when you blip the throttle between the changing down to match the revs, that your flywheel don´t have to speed up. If you´re more interested of driving technics for track, there´s a book called: Going Faster by Skip Barber. It´s exactly opposite around here, I´ll have drived maybe two times with automatic transmission.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts