The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I just put my deposit down today at Lotus of Atlanta. Chad took my order and says I am #87. =)

He also told me that the first car that the dealer would be recieving would go to the company that builds the turbo's for the Esprit (forget the name of the company), and that they were already in the works of creating a turbo for the Elise and that if finished and ready for production, it will be placed in that very first Elise - as well as being offered as a dealer installed option. No official estimate, but expect about a 5 or 6 grand investment.

But dont worry about test drives and such, he says we will get the opportunity before it is sent off.

Sounds like good news to me

-Whit

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
HI again zcar
That's garrett airesearch. They were at LOA couple months ago at a Lotus club meet. They asked if I wanted to use my car as a test guinea pig, after I picked my jaw up off the floor, I politely declined.
Chris

BTW> In case you didn't know the national lotus gathering next sept will be held at barber motorsports park in birmingham AL.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I still do not have a clue what I will do but I have been thinking about turbo charging, supercharging or putting in a Honda engine. It depends on what will become available over the next several months prior to delivery. I have been researching all my options and still havent been able to come up with a solid aftermarket company. The only options that have seen promising is the Honda conversion which promises the most power. Any suggestions ( I know wait :) however I am impatient when it comes to the Elise).

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Even if its a dealer installed option it will void the warranty? That is no good... I definitely won't be doing any modifying on this car that will void the warranty. ESPECIALLY not a turbo. The compression on this engine is already really high, and it seems like a turbo would cut reliability in half.

Btw> I am holding you to that ride in your car Chris :)

-Whit

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Whit,
I'm sure if any dealers install anything like this, they'll have a disclaimer stating it will void the warranty. At least as far as the powertrain goes.

Take my word for it, the US car is quite a blast to drive, if you liked the 156 hp 111S, you'll love this car.

Chris

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
A quick spooling small turbo running low boost (8 psi) would transform the Elise into a supercar. It already has the handling, 250WHP will take care of the acceleration. It's nice to hear there are companies working on a conversion.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Understand that many companies will come out with "turbo kits " for the Elise. Doesnt mean they will work well, be the best, or allow for longevity. Just means that someone is trying to make a buck the best way they can.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I really see only one viable solution if you want to go the forced induction route and keep the linear throttle response of the N/A engine: a supercharger

Only way to go if you want to keep the character and behviour of the engine, but make it 'feel' like a normally aspirated 3L V6 is in the back.

Bye, Arno.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
OneFastMiata said:
Understand that many companies will come out with "turbo kits " for the Elise. Doesnt mean they will work well, be the best, or allow for longevity. Just means that someone is trying to make a buck the best way they can.
Good point, I know we're a forum full of obcessive people who want to tinker. But with major changes like this, should we not wait for somebody to establish some reputation? Ala EPROM chips for the Audi A4?

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I was just reading about the history of the Elise by Alastair Clements. The forward is by McLaren Technical Director Adrian Newey discussing Lotus' approach to going fast thru light weight cars. If you read closely toward the end of the forward he briefly mentions how he always loved to modify his cars and has even TURBOCHARGED his Elise.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
I dont think anyone here is saying you cannot turbocharge your elise. Anyone can turbocharge an elise, give me someone who can fabricate a manifold and you're there.....

Did Adrian build his motor? What compression ratio and parts did he use? Was the motor stock? What sort of management did he go with? What boost level? Did he replace the ECU with a stand alone? Did he use the stock ECU? If so what size injectors can it push maximum? Did he need an inline pump or put a bigger pump in the tank or is he running such low boost that he needs neither or maybe a simply rising rate fuel pressure regulator? What did his EGT's look like at WOT? What is an acceptable EGT with this motor? What size turbo did he use? How did he plumb his piping? Did he use a side mount Intercooler? Some sort of Front Mount configuration? No intercooler at all? Water Injection? Those would be but a few of the questions I'd start off with.

If you had enough time and money you could build a very sturdy motor and add some serious power. I think the vast majority of turbo kit manufacturers are pitching a turbo kit for the stock motor and this concerns me.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
All of the questions you raise are those a tuner should address in putting a kit together. My point really is that the Elise is not the Holy Grail for all enthusiast and the stock car can and will be improved upon. Lotus does a fantastic job designing innovative light weight cars that have unparalled handling. I would concede there may be little opportunity to improve handling. The drivetrain is another story. Can you honestly tell me the Toyota drivetrain is the perfect match for the Elise? I'm looking to push that magnificent little chasis (and myself) to the limit. I just don't feel the present iteration of the Toyota drivetrain does it justice. To be honest I'm guessing Lotus may turbo charge it themselves for the new Exige. Did you catch the comment in Autoweek from an engineer at Hethel stating the engine is good for 300HP. No way they will get that normally aspirated. The present version of the Elise does not have to be the "end all" for everyone. I, for one, am glad there are people willing to push the limits. Heck if you blow an engine you can always get one for chump change in salvage from a Celica, Corolla, or Matrix.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
I personally dont think its going to be that easy with the Elise motor and Ive always liked to think of myself as been one to push limits with regards to Forced Induction...

If they do turbo it from the factory it wont be an 11:1 motor IMHO.

Oh well, we'll see.

·
Registered
648 Posts
These guys, http://www.turbotechnics.co.uk/ , have more experience with the Elise than pretty much anywhere else. The company that converted Adrian Newey's S1 were http://www.bbrgti.com and the conversion can be viewed at http://www.sandsmuseum.com/cars/elise/information/press/magazine/magazine2001/cccukn.html

Basicallly Adrian Newey's car was a monster conversion. If you want lag free driving then you need a supercharger. TurboTechnics have even stopped using turbos for the elise and switched to a supercharger.

Someone in the US needs to strike a deal with turbo technics to offer the kit there.

Tony

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Basically Adrians car is completely built. I dont get the holy grail attitude on making 300hp on a fully built 1.8 liter motor?

I think a small turbo, a garret T25/28 would be just fine, spooling quickly enough that you wouldnt care about superchargers anymore and making it a very capable autocross car.

Turbotechnics has experience with the rover motor no?

Turbo kits arent difficult to design, it just takes someone willing to play around on the dyno. If I had a fabricator handy to throw together a manifold, and the inclination, I would do it.....Ive been asked already but Im not sure I think its necessary. A built toyota motor yes, but the stock toyota lump with low psi....I dont see the point.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
David at DA sports has been working with the 2ZZ-GE and with just 8 psi has achieved 270HP at the crank. He used a K04 turbo which is on the smaller side and actually spools up pretty quick. The stock compression was used and pump gas. Apparently the compression is not an issue under low boost. Now 270HP sure is nothing to shake a stick at. The T3 in Adrian's car is just too big.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Arno said:
I really see only one viable solution if you want to go the forced induction route and keep the linear throttle response of the N/A engine: a supercharger

Only way to go if you want to keep the character and behviour of the engine, but make it 'feel' like a normally aspirated 3L V6 is in the back.

Bye, Arno.
Arno

I think you're exactly right. Supercharging with a Whipple type blower will take up less space and I believe generate less heat than a turbocharger. From what I've heard, you could run one safely without an intercooler. They make good low RPM boost, too.

Jeff

1 - 20 of 26 Posts