The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I'm officially making the move from sport bikes to a Lotus Elise.
My 2011 GSXR 750 should be gone in the beginning of next week, which will officially kick off my search for an 05 or 06 Lotus Elise.

I know a few of the differences between the model years being improved throttle response, more comfortable seats and different fuel tank in the 06's... but I've found an 05, stock with 29k miles for $27.5 that seems like a good deal. The closest '06 was almost $4k more. Is it worth it?

Also... as I begin test driving... what should I be looking for?

Thanks so much,
Brett

·
Registered
571 Posts
Is it worth it?

Thanks so much,
Brett

Hey! Welcome.

Is it worth it? Most common answer will probably be what do you want? Does color and spec matter, or are they the exact same car just different years...you know the rest...each person has different taste.

On what to look for - I cannot stress enough to get down on your hands and knees and look at the chins of the front clam...that will tell you a lot about how the car was handled...and how much of story someone is selling you.

The rest will reveal itself in the receipts, the seller and actually driving the car.

Folks are putting some good miles on these cars without issues, but damn do those clams cost dough to fix.

Just my two cents.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
5,195 Posts
First, read the uberpost. Then start searching for the car in the color you want, with the upgrades and features you want, in the price you want to pay. Have a ppi done (pre-purchase inspection) It is more important to find the color and options you want than a particular year. Make sure the recalls are done and drive and enjoy it!

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
Hello everyone! I'm officially making the move from sport bikes to a Lotus Elise.
My 2011 GSXR 750 should be gone in the beginning of next week, which will officially kick off my search for an 05 or 06 Lotus Elise.

I know a few of the differences between the model years being improved throttle response, more comfortable seats and different fuel tank in the 06's... but I've found an 05, stock with 29k miles for $27.5 that seems like a good deal. The closest '06 was almost $4k more. Is it worth it?

Thanks so much,
Brett
I owned an 05 Elise and an 06 Exige (essentially a fastback Elise). True, the 06 had drive by wire vs the 05's cable, but I wouldn't say throttle response was improved.

Wasn't aware the 06's had a different fuel tank, learned something new.

06's have LED tail lights, if that's your thing. As a result they don't have the rear reflectors the 05's have.

How many miles does the 06 have? Does it have the sport package and the 05 not? That would close the gap considerably. Do either have the hardtop? That makes another grand or so difference.

Both have complete service histories? Any ECU dumps available to look at. Have they had all their recalls done? Any history of wiping the cam?

That price seems a tad low for the 05. Not too low, but a bit low. Is it a salvage/rebuild title?

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you...

The '05 is all original with the hard top, 29k miles... but repainted matte black. Never been in an accident according to car fax... the previous owner apparently paid $4k for the paint job. No other mods.

The '06 has some cool mods, slitter, rear diffuser, exhaust, race mirrors, turn signal delete, $30k miles... white with tan interior. (not crazy about the tan interior.) But definitely owned by an enthusiast.

I owned an 05 Elise and an 06 Exige (essentially a fastback Elise). True, the 06 had drive by wire vs the 05's cable, but I wouldn't say throttle response was improved.

Wasn't aware the 06's had a different fuel tank, learned something new.

06's have LED tail lights, if that's your thing. As a result they don't have the rear reflectors the 05's have.

How many miles does the 06 have? Does it have the sport package and the 05 not? That would close the gap considerably. Do either have the hardtop? That makes another grand or so difference.

Both have complete service histories? Any ECU dumps available to look at. Have they had all their recalls done? Any history of wiping the cam?

That price seems a tad low for the 05. Not too low, but a bit low. Is it a salvage/rebuild title?

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
On what to look for - I cannot stress enough to get down on your hands and knees and look at the chins of the front clam...that will tell you a lot about how the car was handled...and how much of story someone is selling you.
!
Although I'd encourage you to get down on your hands and knees I don't think a little chin scraping is anything to worry about. In fact, it will be hard to find a car that has never had its chin scraped... It's not a big deal unless the chin is near destroyed, then you need to look for something more serious in other locations. If the seller was listing the car as "pristine" then maybe I'd take issue.

I'd be more concerned about the paint job. Most people will not repaint a car without a pretty good reason and matte black color IMO will limit resale options and price.

·
He's on fire!
3,345 Posts
if the fuel tank is different in 06 thats news to me

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Differences:

- Drive by wire v. cable
- LED Tails in the '06
- Probax Seats in the '06

You can decide if that's worth $4K to you. Frankly if the cars were similarly equipped and mileage was consistent, I'd save the $4K and do the '05.

·
Premium Member
2,900 Posts
Differences:

- Drive by wire v. cable
- LED Tails in the '06
- Probax Seats in the '06

You can decide if that's worth $4K to you. Frankly if the cars were similarly equipped and mileage was consistent, I'd save the $4K and do the '05.

And different pedal box. ??

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
The only '06+ item that I covet are the LED tail lights.

The extruded pedal box of the '05's are beautiful but not easily appreciated unless you squeeze in there to have a look.

Condition and history are by far more important than any of these minor features.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Although I'd encourage you to get down on your hands and knees I don't think a little chin scraping is anything to worry about. In fact, it will be hard to find a car that has never had its chin scraped... It's not a big deal unless the chin is near destroyed, then you need to look for something more serious in other locations. If the seller was listing the car as "pristine" then maybe I'd take issue.

I'd be more concerned about the paint job. Most people will not repaint a car without a pretty good reason and matte black color IMO will limit resale options and price.
Agreed...a little, fine, a lot? Run.

And yes, paint job on a relatively new (less than 10 years) says something happened...especially because you could probably wrap the car for much less (I wouldn't know).

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
I have my Elise on consignment through British racing group..its on this forum or on their site...its 05 for $31500 it has 26k..I'm second ower had since 18k 2 years ago. In last year or so its had all the $ maintence items done . 4 ceramic brakes, high end rotors, new stock Yoko tires, upgraded shift kit, all brake trans and oil fluids flushed.. Paint is in great shape.. Clean title... Lots of guys want to pay sub 30k only to put 4-5 grand into maintenance first year or so... I have nice car cover too

·
Registered
27 Posts
Agree with all of the above. I just bought an Elise and evaluated several other cars from a distance. I had PPI's performed and it was money well spent. The first car had some issues particularly a worrisome looking ECU Dump. The second car was pristine and will be shipped to my house in several days.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts