The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2005 Titanium Silver, red leather, power windows, 56,000 miles all services and recalls done. Minor curb rash on wheels and 1 little chip in the front of the clamshell. I can get it for $26k. Should I go for it? Anything I should be cautious of?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
got a link to the car sale page by chance? pics could tell us a little more

pretty standard starting price for the car/miles (considering the time of year)... any other modifications to the car?

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Looks clean and price is good.

I would:

- get the vin and post it here. If the owner is a L'Talker, chances are some here might know him.

- Find out which dealer did the Oil Line Recall. Find out of that same dealer has done all the service - this will allow you to call the dealer to get the service records/history. Have the same dealer do the PPI.

·
Premium Member
5,195 Posts
Considering that salvage titles are going for that price these days, I would make an offer and give him a deposit contingent on a good ppi. When I was looking I had too many cars get sold out from under me. Is it anybodys car who is on here?

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
With all points consider that deal looks spot on, I would not counter off but instead ask the seller to have a ppi done. Anyone not willing to pop 500 for a ppi has something to hide, IMO.

·
Wow Such Admin
6,958 Posts
With all points consider that deal looks spot on, I would not counter off but instead ask the seller to have a ppi done. Anyone not willing to pop 500 for a ppi has something to hide, IMO.
If anyone is paying $500 for a ppi, they are getting incredibly ripped off. It should not cost more than $200.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here is the VIN# SCCPC11115HL35195. It was originally a San Diego car. Just ran a car fax... and it looks like there was one minor accident reported in 2007 to the rear of the car. No structural damage, no airbags deployed. Should I be worried?

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
yeah I dont know it varies.

100~ for the compression check
150 leak-down
plus a visual inspection, I always ask for an ecu dump as well. I don't care if its +/- $200 I just require it when buying. My point is that cost is well worth a piece of mind and if someone is reluctant to have it done, you may want to rethink the sale.

Should I be worried?
It's easy to hide frame damage, best to get the pictures at the time of the accident if you can. There are some checks you can make like a wheel position/line up, but I'd let whoever does the inspection check it out.

·
Wow Such Admin
6,958 Posts
Always get pictures of the damage if there has been an accident reported. No way would I buy a car without seeing the pictures of previous damage.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Is that the one from SD that's been up for a while? If so, check the carfax...I believe there's an accident in the record, worth investigating further.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I was about to buy this car a while back, but an accident showed up on carfax. It's been posted for a while and he lowered price more. Wonder why its been there for so long.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There was a minor accident on the record from 2007... But I had a PPI done at Lotus of San Diego and everything checked out good... Other than needing an alignment and rear tires. I just dropped it off at A1 automotive with Harry in San Gabriel.
He's going really get in there and check/fix deeper... But for $26k... It's totally worth it. Car drives great!

·
Registered
6,941 Posts
If anyone is paying $500 for a ppi, they are getting incredibly ripped off. It should not cost more than $200.
$200 in most Lotus savvy shops is about an hour and a half. If you want a half assed PPI knock yourself out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
There was a minor accident on the record from 2007... But I had a PPI done at Lotus of San Diego and everything checked out good... Other than needing an alignment and rear tires. I just dropped it off at A1 automotive with Harry in San Gabriel.
He's going really get in there and check/fix deeper... But for $26k... It's totally worth it. Car drives great!

If it checks out, it's a great deal!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts