The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! New to the forum and will be purchasing my first Lotus in less than a week from Lotus of Portland!! I am excited as hell!!! I have a 2011 Elise R in Starlight Black on hold but am considering upgrading to a 2011 Elise SC in Storm Titanium. Both cars have the black pack, tour pack, star shield, and hardtop. The Elise R also comes with the sport pack but the SC does not. There is a 4K price differential between the two. I’ve been drooling over these cars for years and drove my first about 3 weeks back at Fox Valley while in Chicago. Was only behind the wheel for all of 15 minutes but they were the 15 most exciting driving minutes of my life! Just curious what you experienced Lotus folks out there would go for in my position? I haven’t actually seen either of these two cars in person so I am largely going off the pics which can be found here New & Used Lotus vehicles from Lotus of Portland in Portland Oregon The Starlight Black Elise R is the one I’m leaning towards but am not 100%. Black is a real chore to keep looking sharp and I’m a real stickler for cleanliness. Been reading the forums here and understand that should I choose down the road to add a supercharger I will be able to get much better performance out of an aftermarket product than the one the Elise SC comes equipped with from the factory. This will be my very first sports car and I will only be driving it 2 weeks out of every 12 due to my touring schedule. I am a performer with Cirque du Soleil and am on the road for 10 weeks at a time. I would really appreciate any feedback you experienced Lotus folks out there might have for me regarding this decision. Also if any of you out there see the Cirque du Soleil show “Quidam” coming to your neck of the woods please give me a shoot and I’d be happy to give you a backstage tour. Thanks for reading and happy motoring!

·
Registered
409 Posts
installing a lotus supercharger costs like 7k total around San Francisco. If you want aftermarket you get more power for like 5k total.

I would get the elise R with the sport pack and then supercharge it.

But then again, Black is my least favorite Elise color. I feel it doesn't let the grills and intricate lines stand out.

See an orange chrome elise in person and see what you think.

·
Nein Kinder
1,568 Posts
I've driven both...get the SC for sure. If you're only there 2 out of 12 weeks, you don't want to spend those two weeks working on the car. The factory solution is reliable as anything and more easily serviced if you have problems. You'll definitely enjoy the SC.

Glen

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
tough call.
..I went with black because I loved the look, and preferred how all the black "bits" blended in to make the car look less toy-like.
(3 of my 4 cars are black tho)

yes you can add a supercharger later on, which will void the new car warranty unless it's done in-house. So spending an extra $4k might just be something to consider, if you're ok with the color.
you can get more HP out of aftermarket superchargers, but it's something only you can determine for yourself. - as a majority of Elise owners don't even have any form of supercharging on their cars and they're ok with it. (tho I'm still considering a factory one myself, due to California smog regulations it's the only one that seems do-able and hassle free.

If you don't plan to track the car, and since you're in Portland where it rains a bit, and you plan to drive it much while you're at home, NOT having the track-pack might actually be more ideal, as the track pack comes with the sticky-tho-less-ideal-in-rain tires (that wear out much faster).

Regardless of which car you get, since you'll be away for long trips, before you even pick up the car, you MUST get either a Battery Tender or Battery MindR to keep your battery charged while you're away.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I am a big fan of the NA cars..and I have a storm titanium car...but I would go with the SC. Those extra 38 HP will take your grin from **** eating to ear to ear...

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I would get the elise R with the sport pack and then supercharge it.
x2

I bought an Elise R just like the one you are thinking about, the SC Elise does not provide the power increase I was looking for.

In a few months I will be buying/installing a VF Stage 2 (MP62, not TVS), cost $5300 plus my time for labor. Take the cost difference and put it towards a better solution :D

·
Registered
297 Posts
I would go the SC if you are only going to use it as a road car. The track pack will have a harder suspension feel and tyres that wear quicker and are terible in the rain. Also the SC has more torque lower down in the rev range which makes it more drivable in the city.

Be warned the suspension on these cars is not like a sports saloon. They give a much more firmer ride with less travel. Track pack is only for very good roads. Lotus also over dampen their coils giving a crashy feel to the suspension (many change). std suspension better for road use.

If you intend to track alot the 'R' would be better.

·
Registered
176 Posts
The track pack is good, as you can adjust the suspension with a flick of the dial on each shock. The factory SC enables me to do high 12 second standing start quarter miles at 107 mph, which isn't shabby. (Have to turn off traction control and pop the clutch at more than 4,000 rpms in 1st.) The larger SC will do better than that, and you'll never have too much h.p. unless the 1.8L engine or drive train can't take it.

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
The track pack is good, as you can adjust the suspension with a flick of the dial on each shock. The factory SC enables me to do high 12 second standing start quarter miles at 107 mph, which isn't shabby. (Have to turn off traction control and pop the clutch at more than 4,000 rpms in 1st.) The larger SC will do better than that, and you'll never have too much h.p. unless the 1.8L engine or drive train can't take it.
The OP did not mention anything about a track pack on either car :shrug:

Sport pack is not the same as track pack!

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
If it were me , I'd get the N/A car and live with it for awhile. Get to know how it handles and runs. Give that some time. Then, if and when you feel the need, bring it up to 300 or 400 hp.(Obviously w/toe links/clutch/mounts etc) Then live with it for awhile, get to know how it handles and runs...give that some time...

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I've driven both - they're both amazing.

The SC is definitely much faster - it pulls like crazy at all rpm - it adds a sort of "heft" to the experience and takes the car from playful to sinister or violent.

I also think the greys and silvers go really well on the Elise/Exige and I totally agree about keeping it clean. My last black car was a black Jeep, and it was a nightmare to keep clean.

·
Super Moderator
6,817 Posts
I've owned both, and I like them both for different reasons. For street use I find the non-SC car to be more fun. It fits with the purity of the chassis more to me. I'd suggest that you take both for a decent drive to see which you find to be more fun to drive, assuming that fun is the point.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have also owned both. I think the SC is just about perfect. It feels like just the right amount of power from this car. Aftermarket anything is always a risk and will in most cases reduce the resale value. I would spend the extra bucks and get the SC

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
If you aren't sure about the SC, go with the R. Save the money, and enjoy the dynamics of the base car. After driving it for a while, you can choose to upgrade (either with the factory SC if you want to retail all the officialness, or aftermarket if you want big power and better drivability.) Yes, you will pay a bit more for it down the road, but you will also a) have the option of not doing it and b) getting a better package when you do finally do it.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I own the 2008 Elise SC Storm Titanium. Did not look back. Well, maybe back at the Exige s260, but quite pleased with the car so far.

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Have a 2011 Elise SC.. first sport car (sold my Busa and Gixxers) and I am loving it !!! This thing is a little monster.. Definitely get the SC and like Glen said... you wont be spending your dive time working on it unless you really like doing mods... Good luck and enjoy!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts