The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
probably about to be a first time Lotus owner...currently driving an SLK55 AMG that I will still be holding on to.
I need the IPS not the manual...but a bit worried how that will affect acceleration? I've heard it knocks a few tenths off?

Has anyone actually run their S IPS down the 1/4? Or 0-60? I'd love to know the results!
Also-the stereo. Is the stereo accompanying the Pioneer unit different to the Alpine one? Same speakers? How's the quality?

Thanks guys!!

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Just my $.02. The Evora's manual transmission shifter can be a weak spot. It doesn't seem to like being rushed. So, the tenth or so you'd loose from the IPS' torque converter more than compensates and gives you consistency in acceleration.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that,
That's what I figure...still wondering about actual figures if anyone has tested them? Just want to reassure myself that it's not too much slower than the current ride! In a straight line, that is. ;)

I think the official figure is 4.6 to 60? I know that factory figures are often conservative though, so wondering about real world results...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If 0-60 is your main concern, you are buying the wrong car.
Was waiting for a response like that.

I'm not buying it because I am most concerned with the straight line pace.
I am buying it because it looks gorgeous, and will make an excellent track day companion.
I have had light, nimble cars before.
Doesn't mean I'm not still interested in the figures.

If anyone has experience, please chime in.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Dear wolf,

The IPS is not as sharp as a DSG or a PDK, but it matches fine with Evora because this car is in between a track sportcar and a GT. And from this point of view, the IPS gearbox allows to benefit of this two "faces".

Switching Sport mode off (GT mode) and the Evora IPS takes a more relaxed approach, revs are kept lower and the throttle response is backed off, perfect for long distance cruising or moving seamlessly through city traffic.

With Sport mode on, there is a real keenness for the car to hold a lower gear, giving a good strong response to the throttle, especially in manual mode, which is really a "manual" gearbox.

Some of Evora owners will tell you that an Evora could only be drive with a manual gearbox, others not.
in my opinion, it depends only of your feeling towards gear box preferences, especially on Evora because this car is much known for its chassis than its power engine and gearbox.

Only important thing: for IPS, take at least the MY2012 because the software have been updated vanishing issues from previous IPS models.

Lotus sportcars : lotus Elise, lotus Exige, lotus Evora and lotus Esprit

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool, thanks-I'm not worried about the quality of the shifts-like you said, it seems well-matched to the type of car the Evora is.
Still just wondering how badly the system affects the straight-line performance.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Hi guys,
probably about to be a first time Lotus owner...currently driving an SLK55 AMG that I will still be holding on to.
I need the IPS not the manual...but a bit worried how that will affect acceleration? I've heard it knocks a few tenths off?

Has anyone actually run their S IPS down the 1/4? Or 0-60? I'd love to know the results!
Also-the stereo. Is the stereo accompanying the Pioneer unit different to the Alpine one? Same speakers? How's the quality?

Thanks guys!!
IMO the upgraded Stereo is better in the 2012/2013 but nothing compared to your AMG or most modern car companies basic systems. I have a loaded 2011 and I am working on a complete system upgrade. The Pioneer head unit is better than the older Alpine but the dynamics and power of the system is just as poor as the 2011. The speakers in the 2011/12/13 are ok the problem they are only powered by the head unit. The rear sub is a POS and almost worthless unless you enjoy distorted bass. More Audio info: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f170/evora-stereo-system-83755/index3.html

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for that,
I already had a read through that thread, was just unsure if it only applied to the pre-'11s. Guess not!
I'll be getting another Amp I guess.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts