The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, well, well...

Thanks to all of you on this forum, I'm about to re-drive a 2005 Elise and compare it to a 2006 Honda S2000. Both cars have roughly equal mileage (under 20,000). No doubt I'm comparing apples and oranges but I figured it wouldn't hurt to get the opinions of folks here on the forum.

If anyone has an opinion, that is. :D

The difference in asking prices is considerable: $23k for the Honda and $37k for the Lotus. That's a big difference in hard earned American fun bucks.

So...is the Lotus worth the extra 14 thousand or so dollars? That's a pretty steep admission into the club. What do you think?

Kevin

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Do you have a link to the car? Even assuming it has say 17K miles, $37K sounds VERY steep for an '05. I'd be thinking more in the $27-30K range depending on mods

As for S2000 v. Elise - there are many who own/have owned both. I'll let them chime in!

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Well, well, well...

Thanks to all of you on this forum, I'm about to re-drive a 2005 Elise and compare it to a 2006 Honda S2000. Both cars have roughly equal mileage (under 20,000). No doubt I'm comparing apples and oranges but I figured it wouldn't hurt to get the opinions of folks here on the forum.

If anyone has an opinion, that is. :D

The difference in asking prices is considerable: $23k for the Honda and $37k for the Lotus. That's a big difference in hard earned American fun bucks.

So...is the Lotus worth the extra 14 thousand or so dollars? That's a pretty steep admission into the club. What do you think?

Kevin
That is a very steep price for an Elise. As Swing stated, look more in the $27-$30k range. You can even pickup supercharged eliges for $30k.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Yes that is WAY too high, there are even Elise's that have sold for the asking price of the S2K your considering. Take a look in the for sale section, or even EBay. You can most certainly find a better deal. For 37k I'd be in for an Exige S

·
Registered
119 Posts
You will not regret the Elise. Bought my 05 with 7k miles on it this past Sept for $30k EXACTLY the color/specs/condition i wanted and have not regretted a single second of it. Nothing like it! Have driven an S2000 and it is fun and more comfortable... But again, nothing like the Elise.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
The more I think of it, $37K for an '05 is INSANE.

It's literally $7-10K too high.

Do you have the specs of the car? If it's at a dealer, send us the link. If it's a private seller, get us the particulars - mods, etc.

The board will be able to get you a pretty darn solid price on what you SHOULD pay.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For those of you that requested a link to the Elise, here it is: Pre-Owned

Look for the 2005 Lotus Elise. Its the blue one.

And...its the cheaper of the two Elises they have!

·
Ticket Magnet
1,055 Posts
It's got the LSS wheels but only says it has the Touring Package. I wouldn't ask them if it has the Sport Package, but I might check the transmission for an LSD and the shocks. But it still isn't worth $35,000.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Get an Elise, but not one at that price. About 10k too high for a non dealer sale as many have already said and you should be able to get lower miles too. Maybe it is a drug bust repo car and there is still kilo or two in the trunk?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
I was just there to have my alignment fixed...they did an okay job but for way too much $. I looked at that car and it looked nice but I think you are paying a pretty high premium for it. If you really are interested in the car, make an offer closer to what they are going for...$25-$30. If they balk, there are quite a few out there.

Good luck!

-Erik

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The more I think of it, $37K for an '05 is INSANE.

It's literally $7-10K too high.

Do you have the specs of the car? If it's at a dealer, send us the link. If it's a private seller, get us the particulars - mods, etc.

The board will be able to get you a pretty darn solid price on what you SHOULD pay.
WOW! I just did a quick search on eBay motors and you were right. The asking price at Ferrari of Denver is insane. And I don't have the patience to haggle for hours to get a fair deal on the car.

BTW: There's a 2005 Elise in saffron yellow available from eBay motors currently available for less than 32,000 that has just given me a bit of a stiffy. Lotus : Elise Touring with hardtop in Lotus | eBay Motors

So, if a fair price for an Elise is about 30-32k, that means the S2000 I found is really only about 8k less. That makes the decision a bit more difficult. The S2000 is a fantastic car, no doubt. Until you get on the track, it will do everything the Elise does with the exception of turning heads. I keep asking myself if owning a slightly finicky, rattly, drop dead gorgeous car like the Elise is worth the additional 8-10k over the Honda. And I just don't know! :wallbang:

·
Ticket Magnet
1,055 Posts
It sounds like maybe you are moving a little too fast. It also seems like you are looking to buy the car that is the best deal, or even the lowest price. If that is the case, have the 2000 checked out and go from there. Buying a bad deal is not going to make you happy and THAT Lotus looks to be a bad deal.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
I would still say that $30-32K for a '05 is on the high side.

For an '05, you can be anywhere from $25-30K depending on mileage, condition and mods. I would say $30K is the absolute tops for an '05.

And really, is $3-7K all THAT much of a difference vs. the 2000? To me it's NO contest.

You're in Denver and have the snow season on the way, so take your time. Look around and you WILL find the right car at the right price. Look on the board - there are always cars available.

And yes, that Ferrari dealership is insane. $37K for an '05 with 20K mi? The price for the '07 is even crazier.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
My view:
Stock 2005 20k miles in a condition expected for a 20k miles car, 26-27k
2005 with oil starve/fuel starve/toe-link fixes and supercharger; in expected condition for 20k miles, 30-34k

·
Back to the Future, again
6,183 Posts
If you pay that much for the 05 Elise, you deserve it... there are tons of the cars with the same vintage/miles going for way under $30k which is how a lot of people are getting into these cars because they are very affordable, relative to anything else like it.

I should have went that route... but instead, I was an idiot and bought a newer one with way less miles for more, didn't make me enjoy it anymore than anyone else, because these cars are all great.

If I ever get back into it, I won't really care anymore. Just buy an older higher mileage one and drive the crap out of it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would still say that $30-32K for a '05 is on the high side.

For an '05, you can be anywhere from $25-30K depending on mileage, condition and mods. I would say $30K is the absolute tops for an '05.

And really, is $3-7K all THAT much of a difference vs. the 2000? To me it's NO contest.

You're in Denver and have the snow season on the way, so take your time. Look around and you WILL find the right car at the right price. Look on the board - there are always cars available.

And yes, that Ferrari dealership is insane. $37K for an '05 with 20K mi? The price for the '07 is even crazier.
Yeah, its about to get cold here and while Denver itself doesn't get too much snow, any car I get will be taking up space in my garage for a few months rather than being driven.

So, if like everyone says, I can get into a well maintained Elise for under 30k, I think I'll wait until one comes available and have a look at it. But its not gonna be easy to be patient. I've got the itch something bad right now. :)

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have a lotus elise/s2000 right now and they are both nice cars. But if you have limited fund/no extra car you better buy the s2000 because it is more durable, better built, good dd and cheaper to maintain. But if not, get the elise/exige! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App

1 - 20 of 37 Posts