The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Evora, Persian Blue, 6-speed
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I am about to purchase a 2006 Exige. The buyer and I agreed on a sale price (I gave a refundable deposit) on the primary condition that it passes the ensuing inspection with flying colors. During the inspection he had the oil done and the car detailed.

The result of the inspection is that the car will need new tires and brakes. Do you think I should propose that I shoulder 100% of the tire cost (later) and he shoulder 100% of the brakes? Or should I go with just a flat reduction of some sort? The buyer (me) and seller are both nice guys.

Can't wait to be a 100% part of your community!

·
He's on fire!
3,287 Posts
depends. whats the sale price?

·
6.94915254 lbs/hp
1,748 Posts
I think it depend on how the car was represented. If he said it was perfect, I would ask for him to replace them, or lower the price. If he told you about the problems, I think you should be responsible.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I definitely plan to be reasonable no matter what ;)

I don't want to hurt his future (on the slim change his sale doesn't go through) so I will keep the agreed price confidential.

The car was stated to be in very good condition. The mutually agreed price was conditional on a glowing review from the inspection.

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
The mutually agreed price was conditional on a glowing review from the inspection.
I think the problem (if there is one) is that it's hard to define the terms "glowing review" and "flying colors".

I think the key for any pre-purchase agreement is to get VERY detailed and descriptive information from the seller in writing. Upon most any inspection, a few more details are likely to be learned, and if necessary, further negotiations can be made on those items. Brakes and tires are standard wear items, and should be easily disclosed by a seller up front. That said, unless either was substantially less than represented I don't see it as a reason to re-negotiate price.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
What's the mileage on the car? Worn tires are always par for the course, but if the brakes are prematurely worn then you may have justification. And figure out what it's worth to you.
Rotors are $1000, pads are $250 all around.
Tires are $800. Add in a bunch of labor, and bargain bargain, bargain.

·
Registered
708 Posts
There's no rule. You can propose whatever you want. He can accept, counter offer or reject your proposal.

Good luck. They're fun cars.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks! I'll update later.

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
There's no rule. You can propose whatever you want. He can accept, counter offer or reject your proposal.

Good luck. They're fun cars.
+1

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)

·
Registered
134 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Congrats on the new car. I'm thinking of pulling the same trigger soon too. I drove a friend of mine's Exige through the Malibu canyons last weekend and it got me hooked. I've spent all week looking at online listings. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts