The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
After reading some of the posts here I've realized that there is much to learn from everyone here since I don't know nearly about the Elise or cars in general for that matter that most who post here. Question, I just located an elise that is ready to be delievered, however, it doesn't come with the sports package(does come with the touring package), the sales manager at the dealership told me that he had delievered three cars with the sports package and all three will be taken to the tracks for daily driving it will be too harsh of a ride for most. My question to the Elise owners who drive them more often, do you think it is necessary to purchase a car with the sports pacakge? Does it make a big difference having the sports package as far as performance and handling go? I was also thinking about getting more power for the Elise after I get it, does anyone know of a reliable source in the Los Angeles area to do such a job? My last question is about putting in a navigation system as well as putting in a better stereo system in the Elise, has anyone done that? Will doing so void the warranty?

thanks in advance,

Rick
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
fitnutrn said:
...do you think it is necessary to purchase a car with the sports package?

Certainly not.

Does it make a big difference having the sports package as far as performance and handling go?
No. Not for most people. The non-LSS car is very capable. You can always upgrade the tires later, which can account for a lot of the difference.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
The tires on the sports suspension could be veiwed as a negative if you plan to drive the car "year around" (those tires perform worse than the standard tires in the wet and cold).

your warranty will only be voided in respect to the aftermarket parts ans any other system that relies on them. a bit of a gray area - but no, it won't void your warranty on the engine if you change the radio for example, they won't warranty your aftermarket radio however, could refuse to warranty the factory speakers. - that sorta thing

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
i hate when i blow the cones out of 35 buck speakers :D

·
Registered
345 Posts
Search is your friend:

Here's an old thread that I'd suggest reading through. Some of the opinions may be better now since many of us have driven the car, but I think there's a lot of good information.

http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4025&highlight=LSS

I believe that if you won't track or autocross the car, there's absolutely no reason to spend the money. If you drive the car on public streets to the point where you will really use the difference in handling you'll be dead in weeks. The limits are so high on both if you're in the area that's beyond the abilities of the standard car but haven't yet stepped over the edge for the LSS equiped car then a patch of sand will cause you to wreck seriously.
If you don't plan on going beyond the limit of the stock car on the streets (like any sane person) then there's no need for the extra abilities the LSS bring to the table unless you're going to track the car. You're just paying more for faster tire wear, more chips in your Starshield or paint, and a harsher and louder ride.

Just my opinion, take it for what little it's worth. Others want the ultimate Elise, even if they're not going to use the full abilities of the car. I can understand that.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Having driven both LSS and non-LSS I think in most cases the non-LSS car may be quicker. Unless you are going to autocross or track the car a lot, forget the LSS.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts