The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anything else need to be done/replaced when upgrading from the standard suspension to the "Lotus OEM "Track Pack" Coil Over Adjustable Bilstein shocks" on a 07 Exige S?

·
Registered
377 Posts
From a safety perspective I think you need a track rod brace like the Sector 111 RTV brace for any spirited driving. Using an adjustable front anti roll bar will give you a bit more adjustability for balancing the suspension.

Jerry

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
just buy a set of sa nitrons a toe brace and drill a extra hole in the sway bar. corner balence max the neg in the front and -2.3 to -2.5 in the rear front toe 0 and rear .125 and the car will be much better than any track pack set up. carl

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
What carl said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thats a great idea, but here is my reason for not doing that... Right now its a 1k upgrade for me to get these, Im not a track expert by any means but will be tracking way more then I have in the past as I just joined a track and will be storing the car there most of the year, after I get better then I would get the Nitron race setup for 4k or something better as I will only be using the car for track.

I dont think its worth it now to spend the 4k as I am not that great on the track yet, the nitron Sa would be fine but thats 2k now and 4k later on..would rather not do that if I didnt have to...

I dont think im flawed in my thoughts but if someone sees if from a better angle im all open for suggestions.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Only you know what you want and can afford. Obviously, drilling your stock bar for adjustability is more or less free. Sector sells their RTV toe-link brace for $300. The spring rates on the Track-Pack are kind of soft for racing, and unfortunately the springs are a goofy size, so changing them to a higher rate is difficult.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
its not a matter of cost only, right now I just want something that is a little better then the non-track pack setup but dont want anything that is too hard for a novice to try to get setup correctly for the track, that was my thought process.. Im going to assume that by upgrading to these this is what im going to get, then when I get better ill upgrade again.

Also, it was never really answered if I can just do a direct swap or if anything else is needed, if anyone know please post...

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
If you're asking do they just bolt on, the answer is yes.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
its not a matter of cost only, right now I just want something that is a little better then the non-track pack setup but dont want anything that is too hard for a novice to try to get setup correctly for the track, that was my thought process.. Im going to assume that by upgrading to these this is what im going to get, then when I get better ill upgrade again.

Also, it was never really answered if I can just do a direct swap or if anything else is needed, if anyone know please post...
save your money just stay with the stock S setup and align untill you can do the nitrons. the spring rates on the stock S are the same as the adj bilstiens. carl

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I agree with carl again ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The Track Pack shocks might be valved a bit better than the LSS, but the spring rates are still too low. Now if you could get the Cup Car coilovers instead...

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I see your point, I guess I wont bother trying to upgrade to these then.

Now that brings up a new question, should I spend the 2k for the Nirton SA's or is it worth spending more to get something better and what would that something better be?

Thanks for all your help!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Cory, does that mean you're un-buying them (/me rubs hands in mr-burns-like fashion)?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Cory

Bad enough you back out of the deal - can you remove my email address from your post please :( Anyone interested, just PM me and I should get to it within a few hours

Thanks

Chris

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just trying to help u out and get them sold....... Sorry...

Cory

Bad enough you back out of the deal - can you remove my email address from your post please :( Anyone interested, just PM me and I should get to it within a few hours

Thanks

Chris

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I see your point, I guess I wont bother trying to upgrade to these then.

Now that brings up a new question, should I spend the 2k for the Nirton SA's or is it worth spending more to get something better and what would that something better be?

Thanks for all your help!

any thing more is a over kill i've had them on 2 cars for over 40,000mi. one set on the Elise with the 425 & 550s and this set with the 525& 650s and I like the stiffer springs better on the exige because the car is 100+ lb heaver. Andrew went from the DA nitrons to the SA because he was tired of screwing around. I've set up TA JZ's that are $7k on car and you will drive yourself nuts screwing around with them. carl

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Cory

Thanks

Chris
Chris, sorry if i killed a deal it wasn't my intent. carl

·
Registered
189 Posts
There is one reason one might go with the track pack if it's priced well and you drive a lot on the street. Although it doesn't really outperform the sport pack on track (and that assumes it's adjusted correctly, otherwise it's worse), it can be set softer for street use and it's very quick to change settings. Still not as good a ride as the base, but better than the sport pack.

If you are comfortable on the street with the sport pack, there's little reason to go to the track pack. But for me and the rough roads around here it helped quite a bit. And you can adjust it to better suit different tires. Makes a pretty simple dual purpose setup with 2 sets of wheels.

I have no reason to doubt the claims for the Nitrons, and people have said they can also be set to ride well on the street but they do run significantly higher spring rates, so I'm not sure they will be as compliant as the track pack set soft.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Cory, I'll mirror what Carl said. Dont upgrade to the track pack. Just upgrade to the Nitrons when you can. I will be doing the same thing after recovering from the rebuild costs. Focus on your alignment. They can really vary on these cars. I started with Carls great alignment recommendations, then got shaved steering arms then I kept decreasing rear toe until I got rid of my understeer. I settled on .03 total toe in in the rear.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I have no reason to doubt the claims for the Nitrons, and people have said they can also be set to ride well on the street but they do run significantly higher spring rates, so I'm not sure they will be as compliant as the track pack set soft.
You'd be surprised. I have the Pro rate springs, but the ride is better than the base suspension was, even though the damping is not set all the way soft. Two different people riding in and driving my Elise have commented on it, so it's not just me.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Definitely get the rear brace!!!!

The track pack sway bar is thicker then the base bar.
So you will definitely want a new one. If I remember right the sector and BW sway bars are thicker then the track pack bar. To me the Lotus bar is good and the others are too big, but that’s up to your preference. Remember light car and no rear sway bar.

Other wise I like my track pack set up. Vary happy I have it. I think what you are doing is a smart way to go, If you can get a set for a good price. You will like this set up on the road (a lot) and have more fun on the track. As you get more in to it you can then decide what shock to get.

kevin

1 - 20 of 24 Posts