The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In the quest of more power for my recently acquired Elise, I decided that a supercharger was my best option. I found an ad in this forum for a used Katana from a Forum Vendor, familiar to most here, Wire Wheels. When I called to inquire, I was informed that it just sold but that they'll have another one available in a few days. The conversation continue; they just purchased an Elise with a Katana supercharger that they were about to put back to stock. Hmmm . . . would you sell me that car with the supercharger? Yes . . . would you take my Elise in trade in? Yes . . . Ok, I'm on my way! LOL Luckily for me they are about 3 hours from me so I drove to the dealer to see if we can worked out a deal. It was long drive and a long shot to trade my Elise for another Elise. Crazy idea but worth a shot.

I arrived to the dealer around noon, with my 2005 Storm Titanium Elise, tittle in one hand and my check book in the other. I was greeted by Hayes (the owner) and was introduced to his 2 sons. Everyone was very friendly and welcoming. We chat a little bit, they showed me the car, a 2006 Chilli Red, 22,000 miles and a tons of performance and cosmetic upgrades; Katana supercharger, headers, performance exhaust, cat delete, dual oil catch cans, Cup air filter, short shifter, Team Dynamics wheels, front and rear spoilers, upgraded Blaupunkt stereo and sub woofer, alcantara interior, all nicely done upgrades that I would have done at some point (budget permitting), it was a dream car in every possible aspect. A short test drive and I was ready to negotiate! But I was not prepared for what was coming next.

Hayes and his son look over my Elise and Hamilton took it for a drive. He came back shortly, Hayes talked to him, went inside and came back with 2 autocheck car reports, one on each car. He went over the reports with me, chat a bit about details of both cars, positives and negatives but very accurate and fair. Then he presented his best offer, he would take my Elise on trade and some money, understanding that I am getting a car one year newer and with about 10,000 miles less, with tons of expensive options including my biggest desire, the Katana supercharger. To my surprise, his offer was totally fair! As good as I was hoping to pay, so fair that I couldn't negotiate (totally out of character for me). Totally shocked, I happily agreed and the deal was done! The friendliest and nicest car transaction I ever done. A little bit later I was on my way home on my dream car!

Hayes, his sons and his mechanic are a class act. While I waited for them to finalize a few things in the car and complete the paperwork, Hamilton took me to their "Race Car" warehouse and gave me a tour of some fascinating machines. Hard to describe and convene how impressive that warehouse is. Actually, the whole business is amazing, beautiful exotic vehicles everywhere you look! Overwhelming, cause you want to take it all in but you can't, you don't even know which car is more exotic, more rare. I have been a motorhead my whole life and there are lots of cars that I never seen or knew existed! Somebody should do an article (or a book) on their operation.

Ok, back to my trade experience; The car I was buying did not had the rear grill (showing the fancy exhaust) but not my style, when I mention it to Hayes, he immediately talked to his mechanic to find one and install it. The new car did not have a soft top, but guess what, Hayes without hesitation allowed me to keep the one from my car! And any accessory that I want to keep from my car, what a gentleman! Did I mention that they have tons of parts, wheels, seats, etc. available and they will accommodate changes to all the cars they sell. When you buy an Elise from them, you can choose a different interior, or a different exhaust, or wheels, air filters, etc. Where else can you buy an Elise and pick different wheels? Or a different interior color? That is some crazy and unique incentive that they offer. Later on, I asked about the keys for my new car, the car came with only one key but they provided a blank key, just because I asked. They changed to oil, inspect the car thoroughly, they answer all my questions and provided some advice and information. He even gave me two cool WireWheel t-shirts, one for the wife! They all treat me like family, from the moment I arrive, I felt welcome and appreciated. I cannot say enough good things about this experience, the professionalism, honesty and friendliness of this team is truly exceptional.

I can wholeheartedly recommend Wirewheel.com without any reservation. They have a great selection of cars at great prices, if you are in the market for a Lotus or other exotic, check their inventory or reach out to them, they sell a lot of cars and their inventory is updated regularly. They are knowledgeable, honest and fair, a rare combination these days, specially in the used car market. Cheers and happy motoring!

Here is my new baby;

·
Premium Member
2,279 Posts
Great write up!!
Its fantastic to hear there are still honest and professional places out there. Glad it worked out so well for you and there were no issues.

Well... maybe one issue. The small picture of your new ride is an issue for us! Show us some real pics! :p

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've bought cup 260 wheels and a used DS brace from them. It's always been a smooth transaction with them and if I ever need another lotus, I'd have no problem hitting them up first next time around.

I just didn't know they existed until I started buying parts for my lotus.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great write up!!
Its fantastic to hear there are still honest and professional places out there. Glad it worked out so well for you and there were no issues.

Well... maybe one issue. The small picture of your new ride is an issue for us! Show us some real pics! :p
Glad that you like the write up, they deserve the compliments, couldn't be happier with the car and the deal. I haven't take good pictures yet, these are from the drive home. The hard top is already off and I don't think it will go back on anytime soon. LOL

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've bought cup 260 wheels and a used DS brace from them. It's always been a smooth transaction with them and if I ever need another lotus, I'd have no problem hitting them up first next time around.

I just didn't know they existed until I started buying parts for my lotus.
Yes, they are very popular around here, always with very reasonable prices and stand behind everything they sell.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was very disappointed today after a call to Wire Wheel. I talked with them earlier this week and they told me about a Chili Red Elise that would be available by next week. I was preparing to make the 1,000 mile trip to check it out. I called Wire Wheel late this afternoon to check on the status of the car as it hadn't hit their web site yet. I was told it was already gone. They told me the story you just recounted in your post... Got on here checking to see if anything new came up today and saw the post about Wire Wheel... thought I'd check it out and got the other side of the story from your perspective...

I'm happy for you... but for me, not so much...

Enjoy!

·
Registered
4 Posts
So, I assume the 05 Storm Titanium Elise listed on Wirewheels is your old car? It's a great looking car. Thinking about moving from a Porsche 944 to an Elise for my track car. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I was very disappointed today after a call to Wire Wheel. I talked with them earlier this week and they told me about a Chili Red Elise that would be available by next week. I was preparing to make the 1,000 mile trip to check it out. I called Wire Wheel late this afternoon to check on the status of the car as it hadn't hit their web site yet. I was told it was already gone. They told me the story you just recounted in your post... Got on here checking to see if anything new came up today and saw the post about Wire Wheel... thought I'd check it out and got the other side of the story from your perspective...

I'm happy for you... but for me, not so much...

Enjoy!
Thank you and I'm Sorry to hear about that, it was just by pure luck that I ended up with this car, I already had an Elise. Just be patience and you'll find your car. There seems to be a surge of cars coming up for sale lately and the prices are good all around, I think that the market is leaning a little in favor of the buyer. Since you are willing to travel for the right car, your position is even better. Are you looking for a specific color or trim? The car that I traded is a great car and they will probably put it for sale soon. It is unmolested, low miles beautiful Storm Titanium, with the sports and touring package, hard top, clean tittle. Everything worked good, not a single issue, everything original, 4 brand new tires (that I put a few weeks ago). Very solid and smooth driving. It will make someone very happy and since it is all original you can do your own mods at your own pace. And if you get it from Wirewheel, you can choose different wheels, different interior color, they even offer several upgrades at very low cost. That car probably look great with black wheels and a red interior, I would also upgrade the exhaust with them. Best of luck and wish you the best finding your Elise.

Update, the Elise that I traded is already for sale in their website! At a really good price, **** I might buy it back myself! LOL I don't think it will last too long, it is a great car at a great price, with every possible option, including the original hard top and a beautiful / elegant color. This car will make someone very happy.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, I assume the 05 Storm Titanium Elise listed on Wirewheels is your old car? It's a great looking car. Thinking about moving from a Porsche 944 to an Elise for my track car. Any suggestions?
Wow! That was quick, but the car was perfect, just as you see in the pictures. They didn't have to do anything to it, I owned it for a very short time, just about 6 weeks. I put about 1500 miles. In those few weeks, I changed the oil and filter (Mobil One), put 4 new tires, washed and waxed it a couple of times. The car was almost perfect, unmolested, all original. The engine was strong, the suspension was tight, not a single issue. I was the third owner, as far as I could tell the car was never tracked. Always been in Florida, garaged. They are listing it at a great price for a clean tittle, low miles with every possible option, touring package, sports package and the hard top. I owned sports cars for 40 years now, the Elise was designed and build for the track, very few cars are in that same category. I never tracked any of my cars but I do enjoy them on the street, responsibly but "lively". Currently my other car is a Corvette C7, tweaked with over 500 HP. I find myself driving the Elise a lot more. Between a 944 and the Elise, no contest. The Elise 1,000 times. I'm not an expert but I would bet that the handling of the Elise is far superior, it is also a LOT better looking, exotic, super cool and there is plenty of aftermarket track support for it. Most likely all the upgrades will be a lot cheaper than the Porsche. In my opinion the Elsie is a no brainer. Now if all that said, the supercharger takes the car to a new dimension. Either a Katana or a BOE is almost a must, from a quick and nimble to supercar scary performance! Hope that helps.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Bought a CO Elsie from Wirewheel in November of 2018 sight unseen and had it shipped to Michigan. I broke my personal rule if never buying a car sight unseen, but the car turned out to be as exactly as advertised. Hayes is easy to deal with and the transaction was a breeze.

·
Premium Member
2005 Lotus Elise; 2007 Lotus Exige S; 2012 Porsche 991S
1,373 Posts
Great story!! Always nice to hear Some Good News these days.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wow! That was quick, but the car was perfect, just as you see in the pictures. They didn't have to do anything to it, I owned it for a very short time, just about 6 weeks. I put about 1500 miles. In those few weeks, I changed the oil and filter (Mobil One), put 4 new tires, washed and waxed it a couple of times. The car was almost perfect, unmolested, all original. The engine was strong, the suspension was tight, not a single issue. I was the third owner, as far as I could tell the car was never tracked. Always been in Florida, garaged. They are listing it at a great price for a clean tittle, low miles with every possible option, touring package, sports package and the hard top. I owned sports cars for 40 years now, the Elise was designed and build for the track, very few cars are in that same category. I never tracked any of my cars but I do enjoy them on the street, responsibly but "lively". Currently my other car is a Corvette C7, tweaked with over 500 HP. I find myself driving the Elise a lot more. Between a 944 and the Elise, no contest. The Elise 1,000 times. I'm not an expert but I would bet that the handling of the Elise is far superior, it is also a LOT better looking, exotic, super cool and there is plenty of aftermarket track support for it. Most likely all the upgrades will be a lot cheaper than the Porsche. In my opinion the Elsie is a no brainer. Now if all that said, the supercharger takes the car to a new dimension. Either a Katana or a BOE is almost a must, from a quick and nimble to supercar scary performance! Hope that helps.
Yes, this is helpful. Thanks for the information, it's always nice to talk with a previous owner.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I bought an Evora 400 from Wirewheel last year and couldn't be happier with it. The front end of my car was rebuilt. They replaced the front subframe put everything back together and repainted it. I drove the car back home ~500 miles without any problems (although if I do that again I will put cruise control in it). After a few months I had a leak in one of the radiator hoses- a clamp needed to be tightened-so I have taken some of the front of the car apart and and its clear that all of the reassembly was done with great care and attention to detail. Hayes is a straight up guy, very knowledgeable, a real enthusiast and their race car collection is worth a trip by itself. Highly recommended.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This is great to hear. The Elise you bought sounds pretty close to exactly what I want, even the color. I always check(stalk) their inventory
You might be able to have them help find you one. I'm not sure how but they get a lot of very nice cars al the time. Their inventory has a very high turnover pace, they sell a lot of cars but find and buys a lot too. I was lucky enough to talked Hayes into selling me that car before they put it back to stock. Are you a Part 91 corporate aviator? That's a nice jet in your picture.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bought a CO Elsie from Wirewheel in November of 2018 sight unseen and had it shipped to Michigan. I broke my personal rule if never buying a car sight unseen, but the car turned out to be as exactly as advertised. Hayes is easy to deal with and the transaction was a breeze.
Glad to hear that it worked out for you too, definitely not a fluke, they are good. Are you a rotor head? I used to fly UH-60s for the Federal Government.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I bought my Elise from them in December of 2018 and they had two full pages of notes from going over the car top to bottom.. haven’t had a single issue since I picked it up

·
Registered
20 Posts
Glad to hear that it worked out for you too, definitely not a fluke, they are good. Are you a rotor head? I used to fly UH-60s for the Federal Governmet.
Glad to hear that it worked out for you too, definitely not a fluke, they are good. Are you a rotor head? I used to fly UH-60s for the Federal Government.
Sure am. ATP, CFI. Flew police helicopters for years, did some corporate flying in a S76, and then bought a Bell 47 and worked it doing instruction, rides at fairs and festivals, mapping and surveying, and anything else that would keep the blades turning. Sold it in 2012 to a guy who make a great offer. These days only get in a helo for an occasional flight review. Sure miss it. Cheers!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts