The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for those of you that have installed above the diffuser exhausts.
Do you take out all of the silver heat shield?
Does it cool better with or without the heat shield?
Is the clam above the exhaust getting much hotter without the heat shield?
Has anyone left the forward facing & top part of the heat shield and just cut out the rear facing part of the heat shield?
Has anyone left the heat shield and just put a hole where the exhaust tip would go out the back?

I have the same sort of questions regarding a cat delete pipe. The stock cat 90 degree turn is wrapped in that heat shield stuff. Do you get rid of that and wrap in header type wrap?

Thanks
Joe

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Question for those of you that have installed above the diffuser exhausts.
Has anyone left the forward facing & top part of the heat shield and just cut out the rear facing part of the heat shield?
Has anyone left the heat shield and just put a hole where the exhaust tip would go out the back?

I have the same sort of questions regarding a cat delete pipe. The stock cat 90 degree turn is wrapped in that heat shield stuff. Do you get rid of that and wrap in header type wrap?

Thanks
Joe
I remove all of the heatshield. I wrap the cat pipe and some of the exhaust with heat wrap.

It will stay cooler in the engine bay without the heatshield, just remember to heat wrap everything.

The clam (trunk underbody) has another layer of heatshield besides the heatshield you are removing. If you run the stock exhaust, it will get too hot, because the muffler sits so close to the trunk underbody. Any other exhaust should be okay.

You can leave all the heatshield on, and cut away (even tear away with hands) the heatshield that faces out the back, but it will look tacky.

You can heat wrap the U bend in your decat / cat pipe, you don't need to keep any of the heatshielding.

Here's a pic of my old setup, Larini decat + straight pipe. See where the purple heat wrap is? That's all you need to do.

It sounds like you are wanting to go the "naked" route, with a rear panel eliminator. We sell them and diffusers. Difflow Diffusers - Lotus Elise and Exige Diffusers!

I don't like the naked look so much, so I made custom grills that looked OEM and still allowed the air to escape and nicely border around the oversize exhaust tip.

Attachments

·
Registered
907 Posts
For my car:
I'm running an above-the-diffuser Arqray exhaust with stock cat, stock engine, carbon fiber diffuser and rear panel. I run mostly street with one or two track weekends a year.

Forward facing and top part of the heat shield remains.
All of rearward heat shielding was removed. Cannot see top edge (where rear was cut away from top) unless you get up really close and peek through the panel holes (at least for my application).

I cannot comment on temperature. The clam above the exhaust gets warm; but I don't know if it's any warmer than the stock setup.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't like the naked look either. I like the custom grills you made!
I want to run some sort of exhaust coming out the right side of the car, the way your straight pipe does.

Thanks
Joe

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I left as much heat shield as I could leave in there. The edge of the clam is getting pretty hot and I'm worried about the paint, but I don't know how hot it got on the OEM setup.

I would leave as much as you can in that area.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For my car:
I'm running an above-the-diffuser Arqray exhaust with stock cat, stock engine, carbon fiber diffuser and rear panel. I run mostly street with one or two track weekends a year.

Forward facing and top part of the heat shield remains.
All of rearward heat shielding was removed. Cannot see top edge (where rear was cut away from top) unless you get up really close and peek through the panel holes (at least for my application).

I cannot comment on temperature. The clam above the exhaust gets warm; but I don't know if it's any warmer than the stock setup.
I was thinking about using the Arqay exhaust. Are you happy with it? How loud is it?
Sounds like you kept the stock black grills, right? did you cut a hole in the right side for the exhaust tip to come out?
Do you have any photos.

Thanks for your reply.
Joe

·
Wow Such Admin
6,931 Posts
I ran the Larini SE with the stock cat without any of the heat shields on a 4 hour trip on the highway and it was just fine. I also did the same with a de-cat installed and it was just fine also.

·
He's on fire!
3,342 Posts
If you aren't going to completely open up the backend it would probably be wise to keep as much of the heat shielding as you can, maybe only trimming the stuff behind the number plate.

If you do cat delete, you'll be creating a new place for the heat to escape behind your rear drivers side wheel, it probably wouldn't be too bad of an idea to apply some additional heat shielding to the inside of the clam at that location, otherwise things may get a bit warm.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I also run an open rear/top exhaust with no heatshield or exhaust wrap (also catless)

never an issue with heat after 3 years... running catless/open rear helps cut much of the heat out though

1 - 10 of 10 Posts