The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live on the beach, and sometimes, there are patches of sand on the streets. Very often, if I'm on throttle, the TCS comes on. Usually, I just let the car roll over it.

This time, there was a shallow patch of sand at the stop sign. Coming to a stop, my ABS came on and you can feel the brakes pulsating.

I also noticed the LIGHTS flickering. So I went around the block, and tried again, and the ABS came on, and the lights flickering.

So the question is whether or not the ABS brakes uses up enough electricity, that the alternator cannot supply enough juice to it, so it takes it from the battery and hence the lights flicker.

If so, how much power does the ABS use? We wouldn't want the car to die in an emergency brake situation.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I live on the beach, and sometimes, there are patches of sand on the streets. Very often, if I'm on throttle, the TCS comes on. Usually, I just let the car roll over it.

This time, there was a shallow patch of sand at the stop sign. Coming to a stop, my ABS came on and you can feel the brakes pulsating.

I also noticed the LIGHTS flickering. So I went around the block, and tried again, and the ABS came on, and the lights flickering.

So the question is whether or not the ABS brakes uses up enough electricity, that the alternator cannot supply enough juice to it, so it takes it from the battery and hence the lights flicker.

If so, how much power does the ABS use? We wouldn't want the car to die in an emergency brake situation.
Ive hit the ABS more than 100 times and never had a problem with the battery dieing.. I wouldnt worry about it much, the lights flicker when I roll the windows up.. :)

·
Registered
841 Posts
Yes, if ABS kicks in, the headlights on my Exige S also flicker. Old post, but I was going to ask the forum: "Is it just me, or do they all do that". Apparently yours does that too, and you haven't posted about any other consequences in about 2 years, so I'm not going to worry about it.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Yes, if ABS kicks in, the headlights on my Exige S also flicker. Old post, but I was going to ask the forum: "Is it just me, or do they all do that". Apparently yours does that too, and you haven't posted about any other consequences in about 2 years, so I'm not going to worry about it.
I think the fuse on the ABS module (not the one in the fuse box) is spec'd at 60 amps. Apparently the servos use a lot of power... :eek:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts